Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hulk Hogan gone from WWE.... defeats Gawker!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

When people are angry they lob racist slurs but they aren't racist? Ok.

No, not all are. Peole make mistakes. Things are said in anger that do not reflect their true beliefs.
    It's not vilification, it's just calling Hogan an ass, which he seems to be.

Oh it is and it happens far too often these days.

Having said that I do agree that Hogan is an ass not for what he said but for a lot of what he has done in pro wrestling.

Xenji wrote: »
    Lest we not forget seeing X-Pac and Road Dogg blacked up.....

Yep, and Roddy Piper too. Al lof which was under Vince McMahons direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Yep, and Roddy Piper too. Al lof which was under Vince McMahons direction.

Forgot about Piper.

Xenji wrote: »
    Forgot about Piper.

I was thinking more of the one where he half blacked up for a match against Bad News Brown... cringey stuff.

I was thinking more of the one where he half blacked up for a match against Bad News Brown... cringey stuff.

Oh when he painted the left hand side of his body black, yeah that was bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

The comments about The Rock are not real actually

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Scheduled to start my wrestlin inspired tattoo in September and hogan was the centre piece, don't know what to do now :(

Sirsok wrote: »
    Scheduled to start my wrestlin inspired tattoo in September and hogan was the centre piece, don't know what to do now :(

Go with it, just put a Right To Censor logo over his mouth.

What'cya gonna do when the Hulkster tattoos on you!!??

I would normally say just do it but regardless of this 'scandal' I could never condone a Hulk Hogan tattoo...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭glenjamin

You could always not get a wrestling tattoo.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

yeh... I think its a sign, dont get that tattoo.

George Foreman has came out to support Hogan.
    “I have known Hulk Hogan for well over 20 years. I do not condone the language he used, but he is no racist, he is a good guy. He is a friend of mine. We have hung out together and we have even been in the ring together. I consider him a friend.”

Foreman also has cost Hogan a lot of money after Hogan supposedly missed the chance of endorsing Foremans now famous grill, ending up with a little known blender.

Actually he is getting a whole raft of support on social media from both sides of the spectrum, some high profile people as well, I do not believe he is done, maybe for 12-18 months, but he will be quietly hired back by the WWE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

It's not the same, but the Ultimate Warrior was a fierce strong homophobe and even did talks on the issue and he got his HOF and the memorial award so... I even read that Warraior was accused of being a racist too but I cant see anything concrete from the quick look I gave.

Warrior said something to the effect of "queering doesn't work" ie. gay people are anti-human and alluded to the Katrina victims deserving death because they were poor and dirty.

What Hogan said was racist no question but WWE could care less about the social implications because they're just firefighting in PR terms right now.

There is loads of racist stuff on their online network and website like Roddy Piper doing blackface at WM6 - the DX/Nation/Harts locker room Raw has just been uploaded; Tyson (convicted rapist); Benoit (murderer); Austin (assaulted a woman) is up there. Some of these people they still do business with, some are still on the website and some are still on the network.

This won't "finish" Hogan as in he won't be able to make decent money but right now with so many publicised deaths of blacks and people of colour (at the hands of trigger happy cops et al.) in the US he will have a bad name in some circles for a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Some "sensitivity training" and a slap on the wrists.

That's all that was needed

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Not when you're essentially there as a brand ambassador.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Putting aside Hogan's end of things, I think WWE have shot themselves in the foot a bit in the manner they handled things. While I get they wanted to distance themselves, there seems to have been a backlash to how they basically threw him under the bus right before the story hit.

Rovert's post above with Vince saying the N-Word sums up the majority of press I've seen on the matter; by taking such extreme measures to erase Hogan, they threw themselves into the spotlight as well, basically making themselves look like hypocrites.

Given Hogan has barely featured on TV recently, I don't get why they didn't just pull him from TE, issue a small "taking time off to deal with personal issues" statement, and then just move on. Even the person with the remotest of wrestling knowledge will continue to link him to WWE, but the manner in which they've dealt with this has made it even easier to do so. By "getting ahead of the story", they actually made themselves the story, and I can't help but feel this wouldn't have been half as big a story if WWE hadn't tried burning the house down to deal with the rat problem....

Rikand wrote: »
    Some "sensitivity training" and a slap on the wrists.

That's all that was needed

bOyf6gO.gif

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I love that there's a chance that, regardless of how small it may be, that the Mexicools might hit the mainstream news. "We'd like to introduce former WWE champion Juventud Guerrera to get his take on the Hulk Hogan controversy".

A lot of good has come out of Hogan being a big dirty racist IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Looks like they've already found a replacement for him on Tough Enough:

yNtfU7k.jpg

martyos121 wrote: »
    Looks like they've already found a replacement for him on Tough Enough:

yNtfU7k.jpg

Brilliant, love it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Likes of Undertaker, Mick Foley all rowing in behind hogan on this he could be back sooner than expected i reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

WWE lost $50 million on the stock market on Friday following the Hulk Hogan racist comments being released to the public stemming from a leaked sex tape, according to Forbes.

Shares of WWE plummeted almost 4%, to $16.60. Before to the incident, WWE’s shares increased 14%, making shareholders $160 million.

As much to do with the ridiculous reaction from WWE if you ask me.

Looking forward to hearing the next conference call...

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Officer999

Why has it taken so long for this to come out?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Moneymaker wrote:
    As much to do with the ridiculous reaction from WWE if you ask me.

Looking forward to hearing the next conference call...

What was ridiculous about their reaction? There is surely no serious organization that could have defended a contracted employee saying what Hogan is reported to have said. I don't think even Blatter would have survived that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I'm sure whoever leaked this is laughing all the way to the bank.

KKkitty wrote: »
    I'm sure whoever leaked this is laughing all the way to the bank.

If it was Gawker, they are screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

It's far from the end , People forget things...Just look at Luis Suarez and John Terry in the premiership

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Having thought about it I think it's a pretty big over reaction on WWEs part. I understand pulling him off Tough Enough until it's all sorted out but to essentially "Benoit" him is silly. At the end of the day, whilst the comments were absolutely reprehensible and stupid, there were made in what he thought was a very private situation almost a decade ago, during a time which he has previously admitted he almost committed suicide.

Advertisement