Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hulk Hogan gone from WWE.... defeats Gawker!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,130 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's far from the end , People forget things...Just look at Luis Suarez and John Terry in the premiership

Big difference between this and two cases with zero evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Xenji wrote: »
    If it was Gawker, they are screwed.

It was said so long ago so why wait that length of time to leak it? With Stephanie and Triple H basically running the show now I'm certain that they made sure he was sacked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Having thought about it I think it's a pretty big over reaction on WWEs part. I understand pulling him off Tough Enough until it's all sorted out but to essentially "Benoit" him is silly. At the end of the day, whilst the comments were absolutely reprehensible and stupid, there were made in what he thought was a very private situation almost a decade ago, during a time which he has previously admitted he almost committed suicide.

A simpler explanation might be is that they just did a quick and dirty "find and replace" on his name rather than the labour intensive alternative of going line by line and webpage by webpage on him.
    KKkitty wrote: »
    It was said so long ago so why wait that length of time to leak it? With Stephanie and Triple H basically running the show now I'm certain that they made sure he was sacked.

That's a fairly nonsensical theory. Triple H was the one who hired back Hogan.

rovert wrote: »
    A simpler explanation might be is that they just did a quick and dirty "find and replace" on his name rather than the labour intensive alternative of going line by line and webpage by webpage on him.

That's a fairly nonsensical theory. Triple H was the one who hired back Hogan.

The one who giveth can always taketh away though. Obviously WWE didn't want him working for them but I don't think it's fair after all he did for them that they make out he never existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Is their more to come from this story? Another tape?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The recordings only came to light this month, stemming from the lawsuit Hogan has taken against Gawker.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,700 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The tapes were only heard in the courts from what I get from everything so someone involved in the case leaked what was on them would be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

It was said so long ago so why wait that length of time to leak it?

Trash websites (like TMZ) build up a repository of blackmail-able material to keep celebrities sweet. My guess is that this is one of those. Since Hogan's not backing off with the lawsuit (the trial will be underway later this year) they thought they'd bury him. That said, it might not be Gawker who released the transcript - if it is, it'll really strengthen Hogan's lawsuit against them.

I'm kinda feeling sorry for him more and more. We've all said stupid things that we didn't necessarily mean in the heat of the moment. He's not getting any younger either so I hope this doesn't affect him health wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Agreed. His words aren't to be excused and are horrible, hate-filled and offensive, but it sucks that something he said 8 years ago, in a private residence, in a private conversation, cost him his job and severely damaging his reputation. He was venting about some guy banging his daughter. I'm uncertain but I think she recently dismissed/ditched Hogan despite him putting millions into her singing 'career'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,715 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm sure whoever leaked this is laughing all the way to the bank.

I assume it was one of his friends or family who recorded him back then 8 years ago and sold it on

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Agreed. His words aren't to be excused and are horrible, hate-filled and offensive, but it sucks that something he said 8 years ago, in a private residence, in a private conversation, cost him his job and severely damaging his reputation. He was venting about some guy banging his daughter. I'm uncertain but I think she recently dismissed/ditched Hogan despite him putting millions into her singing 'career'.

He was in a weird "midlife crisis" stage back then. It was before he met his is new partner who set him on the straight and narrow. I really don't remember hearing any incidents or rumours since then. Who knows what his true thoughts are but he was certainly in a dark place then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I've already come across petitions for him to be rehired , This is going to blow over definitely his achievements far outweigh what he's said or done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

It will be a blight on his reputation but it's Hulk Hogan, the face of pro wrestling for a lot of people. 8 years ago is a long time, and it was said in a private situation behind closed doors.

What WWE should/should've done was drop him from Tough Enough to get him out of the limelight and then have him make a VERY genuine public apology and have him stress that he's changed his attitude. People make mistakes, they make stupid unacceptable comments. Getting the same treatment Benoit has gotten is a farce imo. Not too late for them to salvage the situation but I'm not very confident they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

he will be back once it is blown over, possibly 12 months.

Father-Terry_zps9qlhsa3k.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 38,458 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

its hard to believe that we wont here real american again on wwe tv.

Id say hes chance of a role in the Expendables 4 is gone now ???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I've been following this for the last 24 hours and wasn't sure what to say. If it were up to me, I'd play up to the whole thing and have him turn heel and cut a promo on Patrick shoot-style.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Rjd2 wrote: »
    he will be back once it is blown over, possibly 12 months.

Father-Terry_zps9qlhsa3k.gif
    FECK! I just did one of my own right now.

VXY6SgT.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I think it's funny that it's being so widely discussed as Irish people are so casually racist sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,130 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Anyone see new jacks tweet to hogan? Quality trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Kamalas take on it.
    “That’s not the Hogan I know. Hogan always treated me like a gentleman. He genuinely cared about me. He was my friend. He’d tell me, ‘Brother, I’m getting my money. I hope you’re getting yours, because you’re putting asses in the seats.’ When it came to our matches, he valued my input. He’d always say, ‘What do you want to do out there, brother?’ I’d tell him, and then we’d go out there and do it. He’s a sweetheart of a guy.”

Kamala said Hogan just got caught with a “hidden recorder and said something he probably didn’t mean” and he’s not mad at his former foe. Harris added:

“I’m not mad at him at all. Deep down, he’s really not like that. He’s a super-nice guy. I don’t believe he’s a racist at all, no matter what he said.”

Harris also commented on what he would say to Hogan if he saw him now:

“The first thing I’d do is shake his hand and hug him, just like we always do. That wouldn’t change. Then I might say, ‘Hey man, what happened?’ But it’d be with a smiling face.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I think it's funny that it's being so widely discussed as Irish people are so casually racist sometimes.

I don't think Irish people are casually racist? We make casually racist comments and use non PC language quite a bit but I always put that down to culture, darker sense of humour than other ethnic groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Even your post is racist!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Deedsie wrote: »
    I don't think Irish people are casually racist? We make casually racist comments and use non PC language quite a bit but I always put that down to culture, darker sense of humour than other ethnic groups.
    Have you seen any boards.ie discussion regarding travellers (I know not a nationality per say but neither are there different human races so it's a pretty damn good fit at the end of the day)?

Hogan's twitter is getting really sad and is not helping him at all. People are sending him multi racial pictures of (UK) celebrities and he is RTing them and messages of support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Deedsie wrote: »

We are a deeply racist country.

Speak to anyone over 50 and mention a black dude or an eastern european and they will bridle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Not sure about "deeply racist country" but there's certainly a massive generation gap between whats acceptable and whats not. I think we're getting better and more progressive, but the way the country is run, particularly with regards the way we export our progressive youth, isnt helping at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I think we are going way off topic with the discussion about how racist Ireland is but having lived in China... we ain't too bad.

back to Hulk Hogan though and I am sure he will be back in the WWE in a few years. I think his current Brand Ambassador role in the company (or at least the one he had pre this incident) was ideal for him but given whats going on it's no surprise that they wouldnt want him associated with their brand atm. They went over the top with removing all mentions to him from the website so fast but I think it's a little extreme to say he is being benoited as people are saying.

I am sure when it blows over and time goes by so that in general people forget about it and it is instead associated with the dark time in his life when he nearly commited suicide, went through a hard divorce etc he will be back as a talking head, spokesperson, host etc

• Advertisement

Advertisement