Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hulk Hogan gone from WWE.... defeats Gawker!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

He's unknowingly retweeted stuff about Madeleine McCann being a hide and seek champion Joseph Fritzl being the world's greatest Dad before.

Not much thought goes into his Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

That stuff, while HI-LARIOUS, is kinda cruel though. He's an old man who doesn't get jokes at the end of the day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

J. Marston wrote: »
    He's unknowingly retweeted stuff about Madeleine McCann being a hide and seek champion Joseph Fritzl being the world's greatest Dad before.

Not much thought goes into his Twitter.

I'd wager the overwhelming majority of Americans wouldn't be able to pick McCann, Fritzl, Welbeck & Wilshire out of line ups. I think its nice that he's obviously trying to give shout outs and the likes on Twitter, and kind of sad some people seem to want to take advantage of that to make him look bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'd wager the overwhelming majority of Americans wouldn't be able to pick McCann, Fritzl, Welbeck & Wilshire out of line ups. I think its nice that he's obviously trying to give shout outs and the likes on Twitter, and kind of sad some people seem to want to take advantage of that to make him look bad.

For sure but Hogan shouldn't be doing anything without the approval of a really good PR person and/or a lawyer.

He's STILL doing it:

https://twitter.com/Jackel_Ramzilla/status/625633688877989888

This is getting really sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

I wouldn't say it's getting sad that he's still doing it. I'd say it's sad that there's that many people out there who have nothing better to be doing with their lives than trying to essentially cyber-bully a 61 year old American celebrity who for obvious reasons isn't familiar with current faces of English sports and English Z-List celebrities.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Paddy_Mski

I wouldn't say it's getting sad that he's still doing it. I'd say it's sad that there's that many people out there who have nothing better to be doing with their lives than trying to essentially cyber-bully a 61 year old American celebrity who for obvious reasons isn't familiar with current faces of English sports and English Z-List celebrities.

Cyber bully, c'mon have a sense of humor! I find it funny and abit of craic to be honest. Simular to lads bombing news reports in the back ground, its hardly cyber bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The Kolo Toure retweet killed me. He must know at this stage, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Paddy_Mski wrote: »
    Cyber bully, c'mon have a sense of humor! I find it funny and abit of craic to be honest. Simular to lads bombing news reports in the back ground, its hardly cyber bullying.

That's not much of a comparison at all.

One is trying to catch an out of date "celebrity" out by getting him to retweet stuff which he's obviously oblivious to and make a mockery of him.

The other is shouting stuff into a camera.

Don't get me wrong, he's his own worst enemy. If he doesn't know what he's retweeting, then he should research or hire a PR person to do that for him, but 'whatcha gunna do!'

Paddy_Mski wrote:

I can see the funny side of it if it happened once and everyone had a chuckle and that was that. But for it to keep happening is a bit much to be honest and just taking advantage of the situation with no other goal than to kick the guy when he's down. And it's really not the same thing at all.

The same thing would be if I walked down the street and showed a 60 year old man picture of Danny Welbeck and told him he was my cousin and the guy believed me and we then took a selfie together congratulating my newly found cousin on his new promotion, the last thing I would do is go to the pub and gather the lads and say "lads guess what, I showed an old man a picture of a famous footballer and told him he was my cousin and he believed me, look here's a picture of me and the old man aren't I gas!?" In a nutshell that's what's actually happening here, and of that happened I'd probably get strange looks and told I'm a jackass. Rightly so too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

He also retweeted this...
    Bi-racial President Obama uses N word, is applauded and keeps his job. @HulkHogan uses N word, is vilified and loses his job.

chief-wiggum.png

• Registered Users Posts: 60,700 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

With all this re-tweeting he is doing I have no sympathy at all for him now.

He is digging his own career grave now time for him to retire out of the public spotlight for his own sake.

J. Marston wrote:
    He also retweeted this...

Well now that's just plain dumb if he did do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

10410883_996074257099486_3918277753153760011_n.jpg?oh=13044fdbcfcf62addbee38e0a41327bf&oe=564AD7FA

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It looks like the majority of wrestlers whom have commented on the situation and are outside a WWE contract ( legend deals are a grey area) have had no hesitation supporting Hogan, Steiner has always had a few screws loose and well New Jack should have been incarcerated years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Ah come on now he's retweeted this gem before.....:rolleyes:

17ojxnjvic719jpg.jpg

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Xenji wrote: »
    It looks like the majority of wrestlers whom have commented on the situation and are outside a WWE contract ( legend deals are a grey area) have had no hesitation supporting Hogan, Steiner has always had a few screws loose and well New Jack should have been incarcerated years ago.

that's because those with a contract don't want to risk losing their job.
    I'm sure there are wrestlers contracted with WWE who DO support Hogan, but are keeping their mouth shut because ensuring their paycheque is slightly more important.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

nYXqWbD.gif

Edit, forgot I posted the Father Ted gif on the other page:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Rjd2 wrote: »
    nYXqWbD.gif
    Hehe,pity they didnt use NWO Hogan instead though, I cant be the only one imagining the NWO theme to this

rovert wrote: »

Looking at the transcript, all he said was jokingly some big f*g was living in his childhood house and that was the only slur he used, Radar are total click bait.

That word isn't okay though, especially in the States. It's pretty much the n-word of slurs there. Was just having a conversation last night about how referring to something as 'gay' is really offensive there but the word 'queer' isn't as bad, whereas the roles are reversed here. Different cultures, different tolerances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Feel kinda sad for the hulkster the way this video was leaked and the state of mind he was in at the time. No way is he a racist. The amount of people I know that use the n word and are not racists. The word will always be used until society changes unfortunately.

I don't think it's a clean cut as 'Is someone a racist or not?' While there are certainly people who have full-on hatred for those of other ethnicities - and Hulk doesn't seem to be one of those given how many people of different backgrounds he's befriended and done business with over the years - it's more a case of it being such a serious subject these days that any public figure found to use slurs has to go. Whether you consider that right or wrong is another story. And another argument you could make is whether or not it's fair to retroactively judge and punish someone for something said in 2006 based on 2015's sensitivities?

I don't think the overall question in play here is, 'Is he a racist?', though. That's simplifying it way too much and, truth be told, rationalising his behaviour IMO. He's done wrong at the end of the day, like it or not. The degree of wrongness and the severity of how he's punished and judged in the eyes of the public are the conversation in play here, and I can see valid arguments on both sides.

leggo wrote: »
    That word isn't okay though, especially in the States. It's pretty much the n-word of slurs there. Was just having a conversation last night about how referring to something as 'gay' is really offensive there but the word 'queer' isn't as bad, whereas the roles are reversed here. Different cultures, different tolerances.

I am in no way condoning the word, just that the headline was quite sensationalist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

What he said wasn't very clever, but for the WWE to pretend he never existed, after all he's done for them, is way over the top. I don't like the way society is going with all this knee jerk reaction to things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Ridley

leggo wrote: »
    I don't think it's a clean cut as 'Is someone a racist or not?' While there are certainly people who have full-on hatred for those of other ethnicities - and Hulk doesn't seem to be one of those given how many people of different backgrounds he's befriended and done business with over the years - it's more a case of it being such a serious subject these days that any public figure found to use slurs has to go. Whether you consider that right or wrong is another story. And another argument you could make is whether or not it's fair to retroactively judge and punish someone for something said in 2006 based on 2015's sensitivities?

I don't think the overall question in play here is, 'Is he a racist?', though. That's simplifying it way too much and, truth be told, rationalising his behaviour IMO. He's done wrong at the end of the day, like it or not. The degree of wrongness and the severity of how he's punished and judged in the eyes of the public are the conversation in play here, and I can see valid arguments on both sides.

It is ...interesting the way some try to make an issue binary as if one party being wrong automatically makes the other right. I think wrestling characters should move away from obvious heel/face dynamics as it is so people certainly shouldn't try to apply them to real life.

No, it's not fair that Hogan got pulled up for something he said in private ten years ago but he shouldn't have those stupid opinions that he's entitled to. However, his lack of tact in retweets would suggest he is of the position that he shouldn't have been caught saying The Bad Word rather than being aware if why he shouldn't say it. He should respect his friends and/or colleagues in private as well as publicly. For me: he was an ass then and he's an ass now.

While it makes sense that WWE would put distance between him and their brand ambassador whatchamacallit, Hogan's near-total purging is silly (I'm assuming you can still search his name on the WWE Network for $9.99?) when he's the name in wrestling and their record isn't exactly spotless. Plus pretending there isn't a problem is part of the proooobleeeeem.

Top tips:

*One [insert race here] guy's opinion is not all [X] people's opinions. Not thinking they're all the same is kind of the point.

*Word usage depends on context, nobody's stopping you saying anything. The filter might try and stop you typing The Word Which Shall Not Be Spelled but that's because it's mostly used for racism or rapping.

*People who say "political correctness" except when they're complaining about people who say "political correctness" are usually casual racists scared that the world is leaving them behind.

*Something can be racist even when it's not setting crosses on fire. There are different levels and the lines aren't clearly drawn.

*You're allowed to like problematic™ things. Enjoying Hogan's matches, for example, doesn't put a massive [RACIST] stamp on your personality file. I am taking notes though.

*I once read about how the most offensive thing you can say to a white person is that they're racist and gosh it's irritiating when shown to be true.

Advertisement