Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hulk Hogan gone from WWE.... defeats Gawker!

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Will be interesting to see if they ever pay out. these things normally take ages with appeals etc...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I don't see how him getting a ****ton of money would lead to him being welcomed back unless they think he'll bankroll lindas next senate campaign. He has no value as a public spokesperson any more, that's why he's getting so much.

How much will gawker have to actually pay?
    Just enough to destroy them hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

In FL in order to appeal such cases, you need to have the liquid assets available (up to 50 million). Their revenue figures are only around that level so could be very difficult for them to appeal unless their backers front the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

In FL in order to appeal such cases, you need to have the liquid assets available (up to 50 million). Their revenue figures are only around that level so could be very difficult for them to appeal unless their backers front the money.

Looks like they are going to appeal.
    Soon after the verdict was reached, Gawker founder Nick Denton issued the following statement where he confirms that they would be appealing the decision.

"Given key evidence and the most important witnesses were both improperly withheld from the jury, we all knew the appeals court will need to resolve the case. I want to thank our lawyers for their outstanding work and am confident that we would have prevailed at trial if we had been allowed to present the full case to the jury. That's why we feel very positive about the appeal that we have already begun preparing, as we expect to win the case ultimately."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I don't see how they could have a hope of winning an appeal, it seems fairly black and white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I don't see how they could have a hope of winning an appeal, it seems fairly black and white.

Wakka-wow-howw-howwww!

hollywood_hulk_hogan.jpg

Hogan has been awarded another $25 million in addition to the $125 million he has already been awarded.
    The Gawker website was hit with another $15 million in punitive damages, and the Gawker owner with an additional $10 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Wakka-wow-howw-howwww!

hollywood_hulk_hogan.jpg

bde3c93395b0484d220eb6ae075062d9.jpg
    Can we still get a copy to watch back at the NWO clubhouse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Gawker could possibly file for bankruptcy and Hogans pay out could be substantially smaller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Gawker could possibly file for bankruptcy and Hogans pay out could be substantially smaller

From what I read Gawkers owner has said the company has like 87million and he himself is worth 118, be hard to claim bankruptsy there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

From what I read Gawkers owner has said the company has like 87million and he himself is worth 118, be hard to claim bankruptsy there

I think it's really easy to claim bankruptcy in the US though? You just have to display that you don't have sufficient liquid assets? That's how guys like 50 cent are able to do it while still owning millions and millions.
    Hogan'll be luck to get a third of his payout at the end of it all, which would still be a pretty healthy sum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I think it's really easy to claim bankruptcy in the US though? You just have to display that you don't have sufficient liquid assets? That's how guys like 50 cent are able to do it while still owning millions and millions.
    Hogan'll be luck to get a third of his payout at the end of it all, which would still be a pretty healthy sum!

afaik it'll be awkward because of where it is in florida, they'll have to show they have 50,000,000 available for the appeal, so they will be paying at least that

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

afaik it'll be awkward because of where it is in florida, they'll have to show they have 50,000,000 available for the appeal, so they will be paying at least that
    Yeah at least they can't pull a bankruptcy trick after losing the appeal, if they want to appeal they'll have to show they have the money first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Gawker has filed for Bankruptcy so it looks like Hogan will never see a dime of the money awarded to him.

Gawker has filed for Bankruptcy so it looks like Hogan will never see a dime of the money awarded to him.

Oh he will, the money for the sale of Gawker to PC Mag will be put in escrow while Gawker appeals the case, if the $140.1 million judgment is upheld on appeal, then the money held in escrow will go to Hogan, if the judgment is overturned on appeal, then the money held in escrow will be returned to Gawker and the company's other shareholders.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Hogan had help in his lawsuit against Gawker
    The wrestler Hulk Hogan sued Gawker Media for invasion of privacy after it published a sex tape, and a Florida jury recently awarded the wrestler, whose real name is Terry Gene Bollea, $140 million.

What the jury — and the public — did not know was that Mr. Bollea had a secret benefactor paying about $10 million for the lawsuit: Peter Thiel, a co-founder of PayPal and one of the earliest investors in Facebook.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/26/business/dealbook/peter-thiel-tech-billionaire-reveals-secret-war-with-gawker.html?_r=0

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

That's been known for a while Thiel had a bit of a vendetta against Gawker as they outted him as being gay even though that had absolutely no merit as news and as a result he bankrolled Hogan's and potentially others (less high profile so have not come to light yet) cases against them.

I believe the money awarded in cases like this is always crazy over the top but but gawker and their ilk are reprehensible and in glad they got screwed.

The Hogan/Gawker case was finally settled today he will get $31m and 45% of whatever Gawker is sold for not bad as he was never going to get $140m he was awarded.

I can see the Gawker guys selling it for a dollar.

Also I wonder how much of the $31m Hogan will hand over to his financial backer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,211 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The Hogan/Gawker case was finally settled today he will get $31m and 45% of whatever Gawker is sold for not bad as he was never going to get $140m he was awarded.

I can see the Gawker guys selling it for a dollar.

Also I wonder how much of the $31m Hogan will hand over to his financial backer.

Would Linda be entitled to some of it too? I don't know what the alimony laws are like but I remember reading a while back that he was paying her a considerable amount.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Would Linda be entitled to some of it too? I don't know what the alimony laws are like but I remember reading a while back that he was paying her a considerable amount.

No, she got over $10m, houses and 70% of the split so Hulk wouldn't have to pay alimony. I was thinking wow, what a horrible deal, but hell yeah, he won't have to give that woman a cent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I was listening to Dave Meltzer discussing this and he reckons lawyers will get a third of this. He thinks Hogan will end up with around 11 million, which is still a hell of a lot of money.

Maybe he can buy TNA in a plot twist.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I was listening to Dave Meltzer discussing this and he reckons lawyers will get a third of this. He thinks Hogan will end up with around 11 million, which is still a hell of a lot of money.

Maybe he can buy TNA in a plot twist.
    You're assuming there are any money to collect in the first place; you can award a billion but if the guy declares bankruptcy without assets...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,300 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

jaykhunter wrote: »
    No, she got over $10m, houses and 70% of the split so Hulk wouldn't have to pay alimony. I was thinking wow, what a horrible deal, but hell yeah, he won't have to give that woman a cent.

I read an interview from Brooke hogan on Howard stern and I'm sure Brooke said that hulk is paying Linda a boat load of money monthly.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I read an interview from Brooke hogan on Howard stern and I'm sure Brooke said that hulk is paying Linda a boat load of money monthly.

Here's where I got my info: https://www.yahoo.com/news/blogs/spaces/here-s-how-hulk-hogan-s-ex-spent-that-divorce-settlement-linda-hogan-062901811.html?ref=gs & http://www.eonline.com/news/276772/hulk-and-linda-hogan-s-divorce-settlement-revealed & http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2065541/Hulk-Hogans-ex-wife-Linda-scores-70-WWE-stars-assets-divorce-wrestle.html.

They all say 70% liquid assets, 40% his businesses, about $10m, so Hulk doesn't have to pay alimony. Maybe she's mistaken and it's dividends from Hulk's businesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,211 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Divorce sounds terrifying.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Divorce sounds terrifying.

Oh man. Just had a quick google. From http://www.citizensinformation.ie:
    [pre-nuptial] agreements can serve as guides for the courts in judicial separation and divorce cases, however, the courts are not obliged to enforce them.

The words "recommended" and "likely" are thrown around, it's pretty terrifying alright. It really does feel like "bet someone half of everything that you'll love each other forever"

A documentary was made about the whole thing.

A documentary debuting at Sundance this year.

'Nobody Speak: Hulk Hogan, Gawker and Trials of a Free Press'
    We all know about the Hulk Hogan sex tape that took down Gawker; Brian Knappenberger's doc looks at the story behind the story, in which upper-upper-tax-bracket types have begun having an effect on how our nation's free press operates in the digital era. (Timely much?) We're sure that anti-Nick Denton contingent will have plenty of opportunities for schadenfreude here, but the film's real message regarding money, the media and manipulating information suggests that the game is much bigger than one Silicon Valley power player taking down one snarky gossiping-truth-to-power website.

Advertisement