Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading my PC and need some advice

Options
  • 24-07-2015 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Im looking to upgrade my PC having had my current build for 4 years. I only really use my PC for gaming and streaming the odd time so I was wondering what would be the best value for money in terms of performance. Budget is around €500 but its very flexible.

Current Build

CPU - AMD FX 4100 QUAD CORE BLACK EDITION
    GPU - AMD Radeon 7750 2gb
    Motherboard - GIGABYTE 78LMT-USB3
    500w PSU
    I only have a standard Monitor and peripherals are fine i.e. mouse and keyboard

what would people be upgrading first and what should my final build look like? Sorry for the basic questions I know how to put it together but I wouldn't be very knowledgeable on the best upgrades

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

If you fill this in people will be better able to advise you on a build:

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

The FX 4100 isn't the best CPU in the world but it should do for gaming. You really want to upgrade your graphics card I'd say right now. Also get an SSD.

Something like the 280X would be a massive upgrade. Can also look into the secondhand market now.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-280X-Graphic-384-Bit-DL-DVI-I/dp/B00FR6XPL8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1437732319&sr=8-2&keywords=r9+280

The 380 seems to be cheaper now.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-Nitro-Graphics-PCI-E-GDDR5/dp/B00YXSL3YW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437732469&sr=8-1&keywords=380

A 250GB SSD like this will actually amaze you with the speed it brings to your system.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B00P736UEU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437732364&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+ssd

Have you got the standard 8gb of RAM?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Xenos hit the nail on the dead. Pick up a second hand R9 280X from CEX for €195 OP, and see what's the story with your framerate is then. If its still low for your liking, you could either
    • Switch to Intel and pick up an i5 for €250
    • Upgrade to a 6300 or an 8350 for €100 or €150 respectively.
    While cheaper, the i5 would be a better CPU for gaming. Start with the GPU though

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Sorry for the poor formatting I'm on my phone at the moment. So the GPU is the first thing I'll change. Would anyone recommend some brick and mortar shop to get one in Dublin or is online my best bet?

At the moment I have a 500gb HD would switching to a 250 SDD make that much of a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

You would keep your HDD as a storage device. The SDD... I can't even begin to explain the difference it makes to an aging system. <20 second boot times. Loading times (for games on the SSD) are massively reduced and the system just overall feels snappier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Exactly, you don't switch to one, you use them both.

SSD would be a massive upgrade, highly recommended, forgot I left one out.

CEX are out of stock of 280X, but adverts always has a few. For the SSD, you might as well buy new. A 250gb Crucial BX100 is about €90 from Amazon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The Fx4100 is actually pretty weak in a lot of the latest games, depending on what you're playing of course. If you don't want the hassle of changing the board, one of the six or eight core CPU's would be ideal, and you should get €50 back on the 4100 too. Then throw in an R9 280X or GTX960. If you don't already have 8GB of ram, you could up that also. Also think about an SSD, even a small one for your OS install.

You could also buy an Intel i3-4160 + H81M board for about €180, then add one of the above cards, extra RAM, and an SSD and still be around €500. The i3 will destroy the Fx4100 in games and will be faster than the Fx6300/Fx8350 in plenty as well. And then you also have the option of upgrading to an i5 later down the line.

Advertisement