Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€150 fine for droping bag...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

OP by all means review the evidence .... and then pay your deserved fine

Don't want to derail this thread but why are we Irish so lazy about litter. Driving behind a car yesterday on the M4 and he/she throws out loads of what looked like fast food wrappings.

We just seem to have a "sure its someone else's problem" attitude towards littering.

rolion wrote: »
    Could have been as I remember (I could be wrong, is months since) that I have "hide" the bag, along with other bags left there, it wasn't only mine ! :(

If that is the case, is a easy target to get €150 from every one of the people dropping bags there...

At least, if I'm been proven wrong, i will get them working for the fee to get the video evidence, lesson for next time (if ever I m going near that place again) or for other people here...

Another registered appeal / request letter, back to them, in the post...

You will still have to pay, as you have just admitted your guilt. Its possible that the other bag hiders have gotten the same letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

croot wrote: »
    OP by all means review the evidence .... and then pay your deserved fine

Don't want to derail this thread but why are we Irish so lazy about litter. Driving behind a car yesterday on the M4 and he/she throws out loads of what looked like fast food wrappings.

We just seem to have a "sure its someone else's problem" attitude towards littering.

Nice first ever post :P

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

Why bother recycling if this is what you get! you go out of your way collecting bottles taking them to a bank then you get fined! .........Feck that, chuck the bottles in the bin, end of!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭SteM

onlyme! wrote: »
    Why bother recycling if this is what you get! you go out of your way collecting bottles taking them to a bank then you get fined! .........Feck that, chuck the bottles in the bin, end of!

Recycle away to your hearts content, just don't throw away the bag afterwards! He wasn't fined for bring bottles to the bank.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

onlyme! wrote: »

He left a bag on the ground... he littered, not quite the same as bringing bottles to the bank and putting them in the bins provided...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

OldBean wrote: »
    And if everyone takes that approach, we've a couple of hundred empty bags there over a weekend.

Lovely.

Listen, I worked in Tesco before and we had a bottle bank, I cleaned it up. The bag's didn't piss me off one bit and your right there where 50/60 bags, it was the people who properly abuse them dumping household waste and junk around them.

So as someone who has had to clean a bottle banks up, I personally think it is way way way over the top to fine someone 150€ for leaving a plastic bag stuffed between the bottle banks. From my own personal experience, people don't take the bags as they do be wet and stinking of whatever, I bring my back home and place them in the bin. As I like to keep the banks tidy.

Now as I said, Repak should put a bin for cardboard empty and a bin for the plastic bags if its that big a deal, and a bin that will only take a bag.

As I said its the people who are ditching there household waste or any other type of crap they don't want and rock up on a bottle bank with no intention of recycling nothing, you need to be going after these people. Not the OP who is going there to recycle and do his bit, stuffs his bag between the banks and heads home thinking all is fine. Only to be hit with 150€ fine. Do you honestly think that person will ever recycle a thing again? I certainly don't. So the environment gets it, and the environment still gets it because the guys who dump there household waste are still getting away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

January wrote: »
    He left a bag on the ground... he littered, not quite the same as bringing bottles to the bank and putting them in the bins provided...

Who said he threw a bag on the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

TallGlass wrote: »
    Who said he threw a bag on the ground?

True. I think it was hidden on the ground...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Listen, I worked in Tesco before and we had a bottle bank, I cleaned it up. The bag's didn't piss me off one bit and your right there where 50/60 bags, it was the people who properly abuse them dumping household waste and junk around them.

Broken window theory. You leave bags around, people dump other crap.
    So as someone who has had to clean a bottle banks up, I personally think it is way way way over the top to fine someone 150€ for leaving a plastic bag stuffed between the bottle banks. From my own personal experience, people don't take the bags as they do be wet and stinking of whatever, I bring my back home and place them in the bin. As I like to keep the banks tidy.
    Everyone should do what you do. And 150 is pretty fair if you leave your empty bags where they shouldn't be, when it's as easy as walking away with them. Tesco has plenty of bins around each carpark, throw them in there. It's respect and responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I personally think it is way way way over the top to fine someone 150€ for leaving a plastic bag stuffed between the bottle banks.
    €150 is just the standard litter fine regardless of whether it was 'just' one bag or more:
    The current on-the-spot fine for littering under the Litter Pollution Acts 1997 - 2003, is €150.00. If the matter is brought to the District Court and the offender is found guilty, the maximum fine can be up to €3,000.00

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This is such an Irish thread.

'Damn, I was caught out, I did it, I know I did it, now how do I get out of it' is like a national pastime.

You discarded a bag, you knew in the back of your mind thats not on, console yourself with the fact some of the other droppers of bags you encountered might be suffering the same fate, and pay the flippin fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

You mean to say that no one puts their bottles in their own black bin?

Course they do. I hear my neighbour throwing them in the black bin every two weeks. Matter of fact he smashes them with a hammer first. Great excitement every Wed night before the black bin day.

He is a renter and doesn't mix with anyone and he doesn't drive either (bank is 1k away), so I am too embarrassed to ask him if he would like me to take the bottles to the bank when I am going.

But then again, if he is prepared to pay for the black bin collection with extra weight from the bottles, who am I to judge?

There is no way the bin truck workers would know, as the bin is placed on the lifter and dumped into the lorry. Who would know? Is there a law against this, just asking, not going to report him!

I reckon this is not uncommon.

No law against it, any household rubbish can go in black bin.

No law against it, any household rubbish can go in black bin.

Thanks for the info. I just had something in the back of my head that bottles should not go in the bin, but to the bank. Obviously I was wrong!

EDIT...just looked up Greyhound and they say that glass is NOT ALLOWED in the black bin....

http://greyhound.ie/recycling/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Get a 'bottle bag'.
    We use an old big reusable shopping bag.
    Take bottles. Put in bottle bank. Bring bag home. Repeat.

kleefarr wrote: »
    Get a 'bottle bag'.

I use those wine bags with the compartments. I must have about ten of them now.

I drink a lot of wine....:eek:

Thanks for the info. I just had something in the back of my head that bottles should not go in the bin, but to the bank. Obviously I was wrong!

EDIT...just looked up Greyhound and they say that glass is NOT ALLOWED in the black bin....

http://greyhound.ie/recycling/

Seems you can't with Panda either...

Seems you can't with Panda either...

I wonder how they would ever know it was you or me piling the bottles into the black bin though!!

As I said, the bin collectors do not look in the bins before they are emptied into the lorry.

But I do take my bottles to the bank, because I charged by weight! Good incentive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

"Bottle Bank"

...the clue is in the title.

Only in Ireland does this need to be explained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,554 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Mark my words: if the fine proves that I dropped the bag, as per above posters, I will go to court to check for legal reasons to force FCC to fit the panels.
    In event of failure,I will pay and install myself posters in near dumping areas to kindly remind other people to don't dump the bags, lids and do not contaminate the dropping area.Is gonna be childish,gross, rude and €150 to follow by post.

My learned lesson... haha lols :)

From their site

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/environment/waste-and-recycling/bring-banks/
    What if the bring bank is full?

Contact us at (01) 890 6721 and we will arrange for the banks to be emptied. Please do not leave bottles on the ground beside the bins, this will be considered as littering and is also a health and safety risk.
    Please don’t leave empty boxes, bag or bottletops or any other items beside or on top of the recycling containers. This is littering and you could be fined up to €150 if you’re caught. There may be CCTV cameras in operation at the bring banks.
    Bring your empty cardboard boxes, bags, and bottle tops home, tear them apart and put them in your green bin. If you don’t have a green bin, bring them to your nearest recycling centre.

If you feel that there needs to be signs telling you not to litter then I feel sorry for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

From their site

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/environment/waste-and-recycling/bring-banks/

If you feel that there needs to be signs telling you not to litter then I feel sorry for you.

It's like when you look at the back of a pack of nuts and see "this product contains nuts."

I'm always thinking, who the hell would need that!?

And now I know.

Scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 nidge2015

Just pay the fine you obviously deserve, and stop whining about it.. oh! and stop littering too.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JapaneseLove

Hi,

Just got a registered letter today...€150 for "male driver dumps bag on top of bottle bank Littlepace Dublin 15" and my car been identified after plates.
    As far as a recall, I dropped few bottles to the bank but not dumping a bag full of glass !

Of course, not being smart arse, but apart of DNA traces, I guess they had witness or some sort of a CCTV. I'm going to ask for video evidence.

Anyone in the same course of "recycling" €150 !??

Dont pay that fine. I have got loads of them fines and i have never dumped stuff at the bottlebanks. When i request the evidence, ie CCTV, it has been mysteriously misplaced. This would be fine if it happened once but it has happened me bout 8-10 times. Seems to be a scam, or maybe an honest "mistake".

Dont pay that fine. I have got loads of them fines and i have never dumped stuff at the bottlebanks. When i request the evidence, ie CCTV, it has been mysteriously misplaced. This would be fine if it happened once but it has happened me bout 8-10 times. Seems to be a scam, or maybe an honest "mistake".

He admitted littering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Its odd you cant put bottles in the black (greyhound) bin, but you can put them in the Green (panda) bin.
    I seen a bin for bags once at a bottle bank and it seems everyone brought their household rubbish too, it was stuffed and all around it on the ground, so that's probably why there's no bin. (obvious, I suppose)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Mark my words: if the fine proves that I dropped the bag, as per above posters, I will go to court to check for legal reasons to force FCC to fit the panels.
    In event of failure,I will pay and install myself posters in near dumping areas to kindly remind other people to don't dump the bags, lids and do not contaminate the dropping area.Is gonna be childish,gross, rude and €150 to follow by post.

My learned lesson... haha lols :)

The signs say "bottles only". Which part of that did you not understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,610 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

selous wrote: »
    Its odd you cant put bottles in the black (greyhound) bin, but you can put them in the Green (panda) bin.

You can't.

They did try it but you can't now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

kleefarr wrote: »
    Get a 'bottle bag'.
    I use one of those folding crates.
    4C0B1D03.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement