Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€150 fine for droping bag...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Alan30

TallGlass wrote: »
    Lads, would you's ever relax for god sake. It's one empty bag, it takes someone what 2/3 mins clean up the empty bags/boxes.

I do have a problem with the people who roll up and leave everything out in the open. Bottles, Rubbish etc..

Repak should provide a bin for the EMPTY plastic bags and something for the EMPTY boxes people bring there stuff in, instead of shooting out fines for 150€, which IMO is fairly excessive for one plastic bag. A warning would do in the case of a plastic bag/empty box.

A big bin full of dry cardboard for the local scum to set on fire. Sure that's a great idea. What could possibly go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I use those wine bags with the compartments. I must have about ten of them now.

I drink a lot of wine....:eek:

They only hold 6 bottles. lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Kalman

rolion wrote: »
    Hi,

Just got a registered letter today...€150 for "male driver dumps bag on top of bottle bank Littlepace Dublin 15" and my car been identified after plates.
    As far as a recall, I dropped few bottles to the bank but not dumping a bag full of glass !

Of course, not being smart arse, but apart of DNA traces, I guess they had witness or some sort of a CCTV. I'm going to ask for video evidence.

Anyone in the same course of "recycling" €150 !??

Insist on seeing, if any,CCTV evidence>!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I'm delighted to read this thread. Delighted the councils are doing something about littering at bottle banks. It's about time. It's an absolute disgrace.

The irony of people recycling glass and then dumping their paper/plastic bags/cardboard ie littering. To suggest you didn't know it wasn't okay just to leave a plastic bag there is laughable.

Having said that I do think a €150 fine is a bit steep. Although I guess if you have to pay it you make sure you only have to pay it once and it does stop some reoffending. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Why did you hide the bag among the others if you didn't think there was something wrong with leaving the bag. Review the cctv, pay your fine and don't waste the courts time on being an smart alec. It will most likely see your fine being increased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The irony is that no bin company will EVER know that you put glass/bottles in the black bin.

Unless they check your stuff before it goes in the truck.

Answer me that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

glass_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 rogcaler

The law as far as I know it ...is that CCTV signs have to be displayed where CCTV exists in a public area. You should write or your solicitor for a copy of the CCTV which your entitled to...from that you should be able to determine where the Camera was positioned...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Alan30 wrote: »
    A big bin full of dry cardboard for the local scum to set on fire. Sure that's a great idea. What could possibly go wrong.

There's loads of places where recycled paper/cardboard is left out and not set on fire ever night.
    I could never understand why they don't have an extra bin there for all the bags or boxes that people bring. Just one bin would do for both. It's possibly because it would draw people to dump their household refuse there so probably a catch 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

A few years ago I was done for the same thing in slightly different circumstances. I took a load of plastic bags of bottles to the bank after a party, emptied each one and put the bag in the boot. When emptying the last bag a wine bottle with wine it in spilled all over my shirt. I dropped the bag, went to the car to get some wet wipes and cleaned myself up, all the wipes went into the car boot too. I forgot about the bag I dropped after being drowned and drove off. The €150 fine arrived in the post a month later. I viewed the video evidence in the council offices. They showed me the offence and I asked for a copy of the video complete with the 5 minutes before I dropped the bag where I didn't litter. I had decided it was completely unintentional given the sheer volume of bags I put in the boot and the wine spillage. I would have taken a day in court (letter vs spirit of the law stuff) but the county council were gracious enough to let me off after I wrote a letter to them outlining my position and intentions.

It's obviously completely different if you went stuffing the bag down the side of the bottle bank or wantonly abandoned it. I suggest you purchase a bottle basket/container either way, something you won't miss leaving behind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Well I don't see cloths banks or dry recycling banks blazing on fire all around Dublin do you?

So in the rare exception they could be set on fire.

I'm still of the option that councils should place actual bins at bottle cans for rubbish, if they the people still dump or throw there bags on the ground go after them.

Look to me this is simple, install a bin or advise people to take there bags home with them. 150€ for a leaving an empty bag behind is over the top, a simple warning will do and if you do it again after been told then 150€. Like FFS there are more serious offenses happening and you would walk away with no fine or anything.

I know with the green bins, that workers sort out the rubbish contents, so chances are if you places glass in the green it would get recycled anyway.

I don't know if this is the case with black bins, it might go straight to land fill, but then again I think skips get sorted also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I think this says more about the area in which you live than anything relevant to the current discussion.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I think this says more about the area in which you live than anything relevant to the current discussion.

And I don't think sniping at other posters about where they live adds much to the discussion either. Please keep it civil folks before the cards have to be brought out. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

I got fined €150 many years ago for adding a Budweiser box to a pile of cardboard after emptying my bottles at Portersgate,
    It was at Christmas time and Fingal had not collected the green recycling bin on schedule, Fingal said they'd only collect them in 2 weeks time and my bin was already overflowing so I left the box at the bottle bank,
    There was a CCTV camera on a pole where the pay and display is now, I was really annoyed when I got the fine but I littered so I just took it on the chin and payed the fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

why would you place the bag between the bins, you are meant to throw the bags into the recycling bins. rookie mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

QuinDixie wrote: »
    why would you place the bag between the bins, you are meant to throw the bags into the recycling bins. rookie mistake.

That will also get you fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

TallGlass wrote: »
    Do you honestly think that person will ever recycle a thing again? I certainly don't.
    I think if he is saving money or in anyway "green minded" he would recycle again, and probably simply decide not to litter this time, its not some major difficult task he is being asked to do. Just like people who get fined for speeding a tiny bit over the limit do not pack in driving even if they were driving to do volunteer work or something else they consider commendable.

Some might think €150 is high, but remember there can be loads of administration costs such as reviewing tapes and sending them out to people who know fine well they littered but want to see if they can weasel out of it.

Its like the young scumbags I see vandalising & joy riding cars etc who probably go on to moan about the price of car insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Lol at the op, everything that can be said has been. But jesus, "hide" the bags is now euphemism for dumping I see, and the 4 year old defence of well he/she did it too. Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hello,

A quick update, letter sent to FCC.
    I have raised few questions, as part of FoI and as a Fingal tax payer.

Is a 3 page letter, but to summarise:
    First, is the lack of warning / reminder notice panels, trying to understand if any of the staff has raised the issue with the Council or is a silent "see and punish" bonus revenue generator for some. Also, how can it be dealt in the future or is a dead end.

Second, I "accused" FCC of double standards in respect to people living in the area, as in Coolmine Recycling Centre there are brown bins installed where you can dump legally and decent the bags and other lids.

Third, I'm questioning the legality of the CCTV system, installation. monitoring in accordance with PSA, budget & funds and the relation between a private body (the owner of that car park) and the FCC, as are no signs that CCTV is in operation. Also, i have requested physical evidence related to my charge to be sent by post if CCTV has been the "witness" of my offending act.

I repeat, I'm not trying to avoid paying the big fee, but just to make sure the lesson is learned and that can be shared, more or less.

Keep you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

What an awful waste of time, resources and taxpayers money you're going to cause because you're wrong, and were caught.

The only lesson to be learned should be not littering.
    Hello,

A quick update, letter sent to FCC.
    I have raised few questions, as part of FoI and as a Fingal tax payer.

Is a 3 page letter, but to summarise:
    First, is the lack of warning / reminder notice panels, trying to understand if any of the staff has raised the issue with the Council or is a silent "see and punish" bonus revenue generator for some. Also, how can it be dealt in the future or is a dead end.

Second, I "accused" FCC of double standards in respect to people living in the area, as in Coolmine Recycling Centre there are brown bins installed where you can dump legally and decent the bags and other lids.

Third, I'm questioning the legality of the CCTV system, installation. monitoring in accordance with PSA, budget & funds and the relation between a private body (the owner of that car park) and the FCC, as are no signs that CCTV is in operation. Also, i have requested physical evidence related to my charge to be sent by post if CCTV has been the "witness" of my offending act.

I repeat, I'm not trying to avoid paying the big fee, but just to make sure the lesson is learned and that can be shared, more or less.

Keep you posted.

• Advertisement

OldBean wrote: »
    What an awful waste of time, resources and taxpayers money you're going to cause because you're wrong, and were caught.

If and only IF by paying e150 I manage somehow to get FCC to install at each recycling site a brown container / bin for dropping unused bags, plastic and metal lids, then I guess it will be well spent.

I'm paying for you maybe too ... I can't be perfect like you, sorry! I'm human. :)

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

OldBean wrote: »

And if the cctv shows you dumping the bag will you then pay the fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭coolbeans

If and only IF by paying e150 I manage somehow to get FCC to install at each recycling site a brown container / bin for dropping unused bags, plastic and metal lids, then I guess it will be well spent.

I'm paying for you maybe too ... I can't be perfect like you, sorry! I'm human. :)

Regards

Just bring the flippin bag home with you and take your medicine. Imagine the logistics and additional cost involved in pandering to your request just because a minority of people like you can't can't avoid littering.

Just to reiterate, not littering is not difficult. Let me repeat, not littering is not difficult.

I'll say it again if you're having difficulty wlth the concept.

Hi,

I refuse to.
    As you have the flipping right to offend me and criticise me, i have the same fcuking right to question the issue.
    Even if I pay the fee.

I wonder that, if for some people, a "smart arse" tax or fee will be invented ... how many will jump and pay it next day !?

Is getting personal here, with attack to my person. I don't have the time to deal with this littering.
    I will close my input here and leave the discussion.

Regards

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

OK second warning from me not to get into personal attacks - any more and bans will be issued & thread closed. If anyone has problem with posts, report them using the report button, don't get sucked into retaliating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Hi,

I refuse to.
    As you have the flipping right to offend me and criticise me, i have the same fcuking right to question the issue.
    Even if I pay the fee.

I wonder that, if for some people, a "smart arse" tax or fee will be invented ... how many will jump and pay it next day !?

Is getting personal here, with attack to my person. I don't have the time to deal with this littering.

Regards

Then don't litter in future and you won't have to waste time dealing with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

Hi,

I refuse to.
    Even if I pay the fee.

Regards
    But, but, but.....you started the thread....you can't leave us all hanging.

OK, back.. :)

Let me explain one reason why I'm not refusing to deal with the issue.

Few week sago, I parked my van in the same loading bay like in a normal day, beside my shop.
    The way the local Council or RSA designed the layout of the road, the loading bay, the bus station and the opposite side of the road is that if a large HGV parks in the loading bay, the traffic will be "shortened" to only one lane, as it will create a bottleneck loading bay with the opposite car park slots.

Well that day ,I decided to park with the left side wheels on the kerbs, so that I will avoid any damage to my car or create an issue for traffic, due to adjacent wide size car parked in there. The Parking Warden came and asked me to move it, otherwise he will issue me a ticket.

I've asked him if by any chance, he had thought to escalate the issue with parking in that area to his superiors, because if as in that day, two large vehicles parks opposite to each other, on both sides of the road, a bus, a large vehicle or a fire engine may not be able to pass trough.
    He replied with not your f / business and is beyond his job description.I had the pleasure to move the car and ... move on.

So rather than dealing pro-active with an issue that can create further problems or generate accidents, he resumed to issue a ticket and get the job done, like a fee daily quota .

Same with my friends here, with the littering....
    If they can fit a panel (not like in Simpsons) or deploy brown recycling bins that civilised people and not so civilised people can dump their remaining's, also, very easy to collect and dump the brown bin, rather than some FCC staff to go around and between the containers collecting dirty bags and lids...why not doing it ?? They are doing it in the Centre !!

Well, I guess I easy to sit and collect CCTV recording for which I guess they are illegal anyway) and collect revenues. How much do they pay for the CCTV at the recycling points ? How much is the staff been paid to move/install and watch the system when it can be sorted easier ?

I will go today back in there, take a photo and prove my point. I'll park my car far away from the so called CCTV point and take a shot...I hate it if i'm going to be right ! :)

People will not learn ,been proved by history.
    But, rather then dealing with a reactive behaviour, install those bins / panels and work with people in a civilised manner and "award" them for proper behaviour. They will be happy to get the bins and dump the bags/lids. Get the CCTV at that point, if you want and increase the fees if you feel that is not brining enough bonuses.

For littering sake, is a small fee to pay in order to have this fun isn't !?

Keep you posted...
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭coolbeans

OK, back.. :)

Let me explain one reason why I'm not refusing to deal with the issue.

Few week sago, I parked my van in the same loading bay like in a normal day, beside my shop.
    The way the local Council or RSA designed the layout of the road, the loading bay, the bus station and the opposite side of the road is that if a large HGV parks in the loading bay, the traffic will be "shortened" to only one lane, as it will create a bottleneck loading bay with the opposite car park slots.

Well that day ,I decided to park with the left side wheels on the kerbs, so that I will avoid any damage to my car or create an issue for traffic, due to adjacent wide size car parked in there. The Parking Warden came and asked me to move it, otherwise he will issue me a ticket.

I've asked him if by any chance, he had thought to escalate the issue with parking in that area to his superiors, because if as in that day, two large vehicles parks opposite to each other, on both sides of the road, a bus, a large vehicle or a fire engine may not be able to pass trough.
    He replied with not your f / business and is beyond his job description.I had the pleasure to move the car and ... move on.

So rather than dealing pro-active with an issue that can create further problems or generate accidents, he resumed to issue a ticket and get the job done, like a fee daily quota .

Same with my friends here, with the littering....
    If they can fit a panel (not like in Simpsons) or deploy brown recycling bins that civilised people and not so civilised people can dump their remaining's, also, very easy to collect and dump the brown bin, rather than some FCC staff to go around and between the containers collecting dirty bags and lids...why not doing it ?? They are doing it in the Centre !!

Well, I guess I easy to sit and collect CCTV recording for which I guess they are illegal anyway) and collect revenues. How much do they pay for the CCTV at the recycling points ? How much is the staff been paid to move/install and watch the system when it can be sorted easier ?

I will go today back in there, take a photo and prove my point. I'll park my car far away from the so called CCTV point and take a shot...I hate it if i'm going to be right ! :)

People will not learn ,been proved by history.
    But, rather then dealing with a reactive behaviour, install those bins / panels and work with people in a civilised manner and "award" them for proper behaviour. They will be happy to get the bins and dump the bags/lids. Get the CCTV at that point, if you want and increase the fees if you feel that is not brining enough bonuses.

For littering sake, is a small fee to pay in order to have this fun isn't !?

Keep you posted...
    Regards

What a load of self pitying crap, anything to avoid personal responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

coolbeans wrote: »
    What a load of self pitying crap, anything to avoid personal responsibility.

But, but, but....he started the thread :confused:...........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement