Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Homestart - Puncture ?

• 24-07-2015 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Came out of the supermarket yesterday and noticed a screw in my rear tyre :( Only live about 1 mile from the supermarket so was fortunate enough to be able to get home ok.
    I have homestart on my insurance policy and was thinking about using it to get the puncture repaired, as it will be a lot less hassle than me having to faff around removing the rear tyre in the piddling rain and arranging for someone to drive me to the nearest motorbike repair shop (about 10 miles away)! Has anyone any experience with homestart through CN, and what is the average response time for homestart?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Go buy a plug kit and a pump and fix it yourself, simple stuff every bike rider should be able to do a decent bicycle pump will do the job or you can get a small 12v compressor. You just need a pliars to take out the screw and the plug goes in woth the tool that comes in the kit. All in all it will take about 5 minutes and the kit should only be about 15 quid and available from your local motor factors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

The bike has tubed tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Can you remove the back wheel yourself and bring it to get fixed/new tube somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

If homestart will fix the puncture then maybe try them. Its what you paid for. Otherwise it's awkward getting a puncture fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

If homestart will fix the puncture then maybe try them. Its what you paid for. Otherwise it's awkward getting a puncture fixed.

Another question regarding Homestart. If your car breaks down at your house and can't be driven, do the insurance company then pay for the car to be towed to the garage or is that at your expense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

I have recently had this happen. Just got sorted this morning courtesy of assistance from fellow boardsies 😆. I have a similar policy. For a tubeless tyre I was told that they cannot remove the rear wheel roadside (depends on bike model) but will take you & your bike to a garage of your choice. I've used a puncture repair kit. Whilst it did the job it's supposed to do I would urge you to use Google/YouTube to see how it's done.

Do not get the kit that uses a screwdriver like implement as it's a bloody nightmare to use. The one I had (tip top brand) came with a T bar type tool which still required a good deal of effort but did the job. Best to ring your recovery service provider & see what they offer for puncture repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

I have recently had this happen. Just got sorted this morning courtesy of assistance from fellow boardsies 😆. I have a similar policy. For a tubeless tyre I was told that they cannot remove the rear wheel roadside (depends on bike model) but will take you & your bike to a garage of your choice. I've used a puncture repair kit. Whilst it did the job it's supposed to do I would urge you to use Google/YouTube to see how it's done.

Do not get the kit that uses a screwdriver like implement as it's a bloody nightmare to use. The one I had (tip top brand) came with a T bar type tool which still required a good deal of effort but did the job. Best to ring your recovery service provider & see what they offer for puncture repairs.

Does Homestart usually cost much extra?

Advertisement