Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who are your favourite screenwriters of all time.. and why?

• 24-07-2015 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭

My choice would be John Hughes, because when I made a list of my Top 100 films of all time, he was the writer that had wrote the most and of all writers, I think his have effected me the most, as they were the films I grew up watching.

1984 Sixteen Candles
    1985 The Breakfast Club
    1986 Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    1987 Planes, Trains & Automobiles
    1988 She's Having a Baby
    1989 Uncle Buck
    1991 Curly Sue

Obviously wrote a whole lot more but they would be the seven I think were best written. He directed all seven also.

My second favourite would be Oliver Stone, for similar reasons really and in particular:

1983 Scarface
    1986 Platoon
    1987 Wallstreet
    1989 Born on the Fourth of July

All directed by him also, apart from Scarface.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

Alan Sharp wrote some brilliant screenplays in the 1970s: Ulzana's Raid, a fantastic western that depicts the Indian as objectively as I've ever seen; Night Moves, a labyrinthine thriller that gets lost among talk about the other great Seventies thrillers.

David Webb Peoples wrote a magnificent screenplay for Unforgiven - so 'nuff said...almost. He also threw together Blade Runner with Hampton Fancher...

Ernest Lehman wrote North by Northwest, Sweet Smell of Success (okay, in collaboration with Odets, but Lehman did write the novella on his own), and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (but he didn't have to stretch himself too much in adapting Albee's masterpiece).

Jean-Claude Carrière, a frequent Bunuel collaborator, and I'll pick The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeosie as their best.

Robert Towne, of course, who gets all the attention for Chinatown, but The Last Detail is great too.

Billy Wilder, and his collaborators, particularly Charles Brackett on Sunset Blvd..

Irving Ravetch and Harriet Frank Jr.: Hud and the seriously underrated Hombre (I cannot think of another western with better dialogue, even Unforgiven is playing catch up...).

Advertisement