Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French Bulldog Breeding

• 24-07-2015 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

I am the proud owner of an absolutely gorgeous 2 year old French bulldog (obv I'm biased lol) I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of dogs having to be proven before you can breed. I would like to find him a girl friend as he is two years old and think it's about time. The thing is I don't know where I can go. I have googled breeders but I want to see if any1 has any experience with this type of thing. I don't want to get taken advantage of (pardon the pun)! Any help greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Does the dog have the IKC papers etc. and been shown and won competitions? If not the about the only only thing you're likely to find are BY breeders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The first thing to do is research any breed-specific condition and get your dog assessed for those particularly (haemophilia, back and spine issues, elongated palette); it's more in-depth and expensive than a once-over by the vet and will mark you apart from Backyard Breeders or Puppy Farms. Also, as Nody says, if your dog's not doing well in the show world the only people who'll want him to stud are BYBs.

Do you show your dog? Does he have good conformation? Why do you want to breed from him? If it's because you think he 'should' breed once in his life* I can guarantee you that he won't miss anything if you neuter him.

* Not saying you do, but it took me months to convince my brother not to breed his mongrel because of some silly idea that the dog wanted to lose his virginity. One vet visit later the dog was happily not stressing out about the local bitches any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

In the case of Stud dogs owners of bitches normally come to you to use your dog rather then you trying to find them.

As an owner of bitches myself I look for proven Show/Working dogs rather then pets whose puppies could turn out to be an unknown quantity. I like to see previous puppies & related stock. The Stud Dog needs to have attibutes/confirmation that complements my bitch rather then just using any random dog who happens to be the same breed.

You could get started by contacting the Breed Club for help & maybe have your dog assessed to see if he is suitable for breeding & find out the relevant health testing needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

To be honest, you are prob better off not using him for stud, as he will change big time once he has bee used for stud. Stud dogs can be become a lot more sensitive to females in season and can be very hard to live with, trust me.

As Knine said, it doesn't usually work that way. Unless the dog is of excellent quality, fully health check,tests done etc and has won in big competitions, there will be no demand for him to be used at stud.

Why do you actually want him to used at stud?

Advertisement