Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setting up business advice

• 24-07-2015 3:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1

I am finding it difficult to be offered a job because of a previous conviction. I am wondering would becoming self-employed be a way of me making a living for myself and my family.

Do I have to have a clean record to register a business? Or would I also have to disclose it to some authority agency group involved in the registering of a new business?

In the worst case scenario - I have to disclose it - could I get a family member to do it for me and technically I would be an employee, would this work?

Thanks in advance..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Whether or not becoming self-employed would be a way to make a living for yourself is impossible to answer really. What sort of business were you thinking of setting up and why would people want to buy form you instead of who they are already buying from? The criminal record bit is probably worth checking out with the authorities I would imagine it is going to depend on what you were convicted for and what you plan on doing. If you were convicted for money laundering and you want to open up in financial services I think that might not go down to well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Having been self-employed for over 20 years, the only time you have to reveal if you have a criminal conviction is if you want to work with children and need Garda Clearance so any contact with schools or hospitals is a no no,

Taxi driving and security used to be the careers of choice for ex-cons but I think they may have changed the rules by now.

Advertisement