Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sponsor scam in Dublin City Centre.

Options
  • 24-07-2015 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭

The last two times I've been in Dublin city centre I've seen this little boy approaching people asking them to sponsor him for an event. There's 2 fairly dodgy looking blond women with him who look to be in their 40's. I believe this is some sort of poxy scam trying to get people to sign up and hand over money. If you are approached by a kid in the city centre looking for u to sponsor them be wary.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭5ub

Well,

Whats the event?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I think it's something to do with a dance club, I'm not sure. It's just that this is the 2nd time I've seen them around the city centre. I believe it's some sort of scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

AH Mod: Moved to Dublin City which covers "Dublin City Centre".

• Registered Users Posts: 32 KungFuhrer

It's dodgy alright, and I can never be sure of how legitimate it is because they usually just carry a ragged handmade sign with a list to write down names when they approach you. It's always a kid with a couple of women in tow, and they're never the yummy mummy type either. I've been approached twice in the city centre and once at IKEA

Excuses I've heard are it's for a football team, for an event, etc, which is ok if only they would at least hand you an official flyer or pin for your contribution.

Maybe it's not a scam at all but it brings out the paranoid in me too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I discovered the money-making potential of sponsorship at the age of about 8. I collected sponsorship from a number of neighbours, until my parents discovered about it in conversation with one of them. I had thought it fool-proof.

Damn it, I was forced to give the money back and apologise to them all.

Maybe their parents aren't as principled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I did this too. We'd had a legitimate football blitz in school. A few of us, who thought we were smart, hung onto the sponsorship cards for a few months. Coming towards the summer we brought them out around the estates and went door-to-door, collecting money for our own pockets.

One woman answered:

"What school is it, boys?"
    She took the card and read it; "oh, my dad's a teacher there. Hold on, and I'll get him to chip in." And she walked back into the house.

If he did come out all he would have saw was the back of 3 young lads heads as they booted it to fcuk out of the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

;)^....and when they grew up the three lads got jobs with Anglo. The End.

When I was living in Dublin (which was until a few weeks ago) I used to get this mainly in the local supermarket. They'd sometimes be packing bags at the end of the tills too with a bucket to place donations in. It could have been legit but if there was just one kid collecting then probably not but to be honest I would give my money to a more deserving charity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

5ub wrote: »
    When I was living in Dublin (which was until a few weeks ago) I used to get this mainly in the local supermarket. They'd sometimes be packing bags at the end of the tills too with a bucket to place donations in. It could have been legit but if there was just one kid collecting then probably not but to be honest I would give my money to a more deserving charity

Having organised bag packing as a fundraiser before it is notoriously hard to get into any supermarket chain to fundraise for clubs and teams. I sincerely doubt that anybody bag packing is scamming, the supermarket simply wouldn't let it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

^ yeah, if you're talking about the likes of Tescos, Lidl, Dunnes etc. that would be cleared between head office of the supermarket and the charity. All the kids would have ID. Little chancers wouldn't even attempt that scam - way too easy to get caught if you even managed to get as far as packing a bag.

• Advertisement

January wrote: »
    Having organised bag packing as a fundraiser before it is notoriously hard to get into any supermarket chain to fundraise for clubs and teams. I sincerely doubt that anybody bag packing is scamming, the supermarket simply wouldn't let it happen.

Ah, I have no doubt a whole group of people bag packing in a supermarket are there for a genuine cause. I meant it, as in the kid Sgt Hartman was talking about, could have been there for a legit reason but usually there would be more than one person fundraising

Advertisement