Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabot financial / Belgard Solicitors

Options
  • 24-07-2015 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello all

Could somebody help me? In 2008 I got a car loan through GE Money. When I lost my job due to the recession I had a plan in place that for the first 6 months or so I was out of work GE Money would make those loan repayments.

While I was out of work I had to start caring for my grandmother and when the time was up on GE Money making the repayments I was unable to make them myself so I gave up the car.

The car went to auction and was sold for considerably less than what it was worth.

2 years later I received a letter in the post from GE Money saying I owed the remaining debt. As I was not working at the time I made an agreement with them that I would pay what I could.

A year later I was sent letters etc from this Cabot financial crowd saying that I owed them the money and to pay up or I was been brought to court (I am still getting these letters and phone calls to this day). I gave GE Money, now known as Pepper, a call and they said my debt had been sold to this Cabot crowd.

According to them I still owe upwards of €12000 . Since my grandmother died in 2013 I wasn't able to find work so I went back to college that August and finished in June of this year.

I am now on Jobseekers Allowance and trying to pay what I can but it's not enough for this Cabot crowd. I am still getting letters by them, a place called Belgard Solicitors and getting harassing phone calls.

Since my grandmother died I have been in treatment for depression and anxiety. I can't see a way out of this predicament and just want to find a way to settle this debt. Does anybody know if Cabot financial would accept a lower number to clear the debt. I'm at my wits end.

Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

You should set up a free appointment with MABS the Money Advice and Budgeting Service who will help.

https://www.mabs.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Vic_08

you need to get professional advice tailored to your personal situation, the likes of https://www.mabs.ie/ would be a good place to start.

Do not just ignore it and hope it goes away, in the long run it will be better to deal with it yourself rather than let the decisions be made for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

From what I could gather from the snippets of news I heard about it, legislation was introduced last week which makes it easier for businesses to apply to have wages/benefits garnished to pay outstanding debts. It was drafted to allow IW to recover debts but will apply equally to all businesses who are owed money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

OP has posted in the other Cabot thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement