Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland Fixtures Week 21

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

doncarlos wrote: »
    I think both teams would have taken it.

Cork were fantastic in the first half and had us pinned back and well worth a draw if not more at halftime. I have no idea why, but Cork dropped the intensity bigtime in the second half and let Dundalk get back into the match. I honestly thought that Cork were going to beat us as we looked jaded and they were knocking the ball about like I've never seen from this Cork side. They dropped back and Dundalk had a lot more of the ball and looked a far better side and finished the game very strong. Overall a draw was a very fair result.

Really let off the hook by Cork though and they won't have a better opportunity to beat us.

That's been Cork last season and this season. I have only missed 2 games at the Cross in over 2 years and most times we are shocking for one 45 minutes, but far better the other.

One standout was Sligo at home last season. Terrible first 45 as bad as I seen up to last month and then seemed like completely different team the 2nd half.

But Dundalk usually play well for 90 minutes. That's why they are top, cause basically a better team. It will take Dundalk to come back to the field rather then City or Co upping it a level.

Still though point at Oriel was welcome today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Zebra3 wrote: »
    If they bring in a couple of players after that European run, they should win it.
    I dont even think they need to do that. Despite the wexford result id say they were the best team in Finn Park by a country mile. You would favour them to beat Athlone at home, we are accounted for, if they beat Wexford too you could say a point between the top 3 when all games are played. (same way we only had a 7pt lead because of youths floodlight fire)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

If they bring in a couple of players after that European run, they should win it.
    overshoot wrote: »
    I dont even think they need to do that. Despite the wexford result id say they were the best team in Finn Park by a country mile. You would favour them to beat Athlone at home, we are accounted for, if they beat Wexford too you could say a point between the top 3 when all games are played. (same way we only had a 7pt lead because of youths floodlight fire)
    Personally I can see some players leaving before the end of the season. The likes of Benson and Leahy would easily be able for a top half PL team. Swan would definitely have a few teams sniffing around him as well.
    Obviously I'd love it if we won it but with a good chunk of our experienced players almost certainly leaving before next season, it may not be a bad thing for the younger players to spend another season in division 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

you only have to hold onto them for another week before the transfer window closes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Personally I can see some players leaving before the end of the season. The likes of Benson and Leahy would easily be able for a top half PL team. Swan would definitely have a few teams sniffing around him as well.
    Obviously I'd love it if we won it but with a good chunk of our experienced players almost certainly leaving before next season, it may not be a bad thing for the younger players to spend another season in division 1.

Assuming the players are on contract to the end of the season, any Premier Division clubs that want to take them right now will have to pay for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Swan is there on a scholarship not sure about the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

doncarlos wrote: »

Really let off the hook by Cork though and they won't have a better opportunity to beat us.

Been told we missed a number of very good opportunities as well.

Re dropping the pace - I have long questioned the physical fitness of the team, so maybe that is it.

Or maybe we were just happy to hold out for the draw. Dundalk have had an Indian sign on us for a while, so perhaps the players were afraid if they pushed it Dundalk would catch us on the break late on.

Assuming the players are on contract to the end of the season, any Premier Division clubs that want to take them right now will have to pay for them.
    At times the players have an agreement with the club that if a bigger club comes in for them in the middle of the season (especially if they finish a course in May) they'll be allowed leave for free. Not sure if any agreements are in place this season but Cork got McMillan a couple of years ago on the back of one of these agreements. As far as I know Benson finished a Masters degree recently so he may be looking to make the step back up.

bohsman wrote: »
    Swan is there on a scholarship not sure about the others.
    Thought Swan was doing a Fás course in Crumlin. Think he was looking at doing a course in UCD though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Thought Swan was doing a Fás course in Crumlin. Think he was looking at doing a course in UCD though.

No idea, was just mentioned by someone that said they know him on the bohs forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

gimmick wrote: »
    Been told we missed a number of very good opportunities as well.

Re dropping the pace - I have long questioned the physical fitness of the team, so maybe that is it.

Or maybe we were just happy to hold out for the draw. Dundalk have had an Indian sign on us for a while, so perhaps the players were afraid if they pushed it Dundalk would catch us on the break late on.

Sheppard missed a 1 on 1 in the first half after a bad mistake by Gartland. That was the only shot on target by either side that I can remember, apart from the goals. Scrappy game

bohsman wrote: »
    No idea, was just mentioned by someone that said they know him on the bohs forum.
    As far as I remember from after the game in Luxembourg, his brother said he's in Crumlin. But then again, copious amounts of alcohol were consumed that night so I could be wrong. Regardless, I'd hope we can keep hold of him for another season or two unless an English team comes calling.

Advertisement