Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending laptop display to two external monitors

Options
  • 24-07-2015 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,737 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Windows 8.1 laptop with one VGA and one HDMI output.

The graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 840M.

I want to extend the display to two LED monitors with HDMI inputs (and VGA if required), so that I have three distinct screens on my desktop.

What hardware do I need? A HDMI splitter? Where can I get these in Dublin?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,737 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Or can I just plug one monitor into the HDmI and the other monitor into the VGA output?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It's probably a single output card, you may need to buy a USB3 dock with display out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

there are display link products as well that will output fro USB ports

Ok so one screen linked from the HDMI output on the laptop and the other screen linked from a USB3 port (using some sort of intermediary video output device)?

Is there a way to connect two monitors from the single hdmi output, so that they have separate screens?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

nope, you can get a hdmi splitter alright but that will just split the same signal to both screens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

mrcheez wrote: »
    Ok so one screen linked from the HDMI output on the laptop and the other screen linked from a USB3 port (using some sort of intermediary video output device)?

Is there a way to connect two monitors from the single hdmi output, so that they have separate screens?

You could use a Matrox Dual or TripleHead2Go, but they are not cheap.

HDMI Splitter that has desktop extend would be cheaper, usb 3.0 to hdmi would be the easiest & most cost effective.

glynf wrote: »
    You could use a Matrox Dual or TripleHead2Go, but they are not cheap.

HDMI Splitter that has desktop extend would be cheaper, usb 3.0 to hdmi would be the easiest & most cost effective.

Do i need any special software for the usb to hdmi route or does Windows 8.1 pick it up as a 2nd external display alongside my existing external display?

Edit: actually I see it comes with driver software, so should be fine, cheers

You usually download from the manufacturers site, suppose it depends on which one you get; I picked up a Startech one a bit back and Windows downloaded the drivers. Was for work so can't remember how much it cost exactly, but about the 80 mark I think..

Make sure you get one that supports Windows 10 though.

This is the one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Startech-com-External-Video-Monitor-Adapter/dp/B00612ZPQA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1437926156&sr=8-2&keywords=StarTech.com+USB+3.0+to+HDMI

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

Or can I just plug one monitor into the HDmI and the other monitor into the VGA output?

have you tried this?

I have a similar setup on my work laptop and it only has integrated intel graphics.
    Just go into Display settings and set one screen as the main display and 'extend desktop' on to the others.

I had read online that vga and hdmi couldn't be used together so I assumed it wouldn't work, but I sourced a hdmi cable today to give it a shot and whaddya know? It works.

Teaches me for trusting what I read on the internets *shakes fist*

• Advertisement

One downside I'm experiencing connecting the VGA and HDMI at the same time is that the VGA display appears a lot more blurred than when it is running externally on its own.

I know the VGA is analog vs the crispness of HDMI digital, but it certainly seems a lot less defined when the 2nd monitor is on using HDMI.

The VGA also seems markedly brighter than the HDMI despite the monitors having similar settings.

Both external monitors are the same brand and model and were bought together.

Those of you with this setup (2 monitors connected to same video card) have you experienced similar?

One downside I'm experiencing connecting the VGA and HDMI at the same time is that the VGA display appears a lot more blurred than when it is running externally on its own.

I know the VGA is analog vs the crispness of HDMI digital, but it certainly seems a lot less defined when the 2nd monitor is on using HDMI.

The VGA also seems markedly brighter than the HDMI despite the monitors having similar settings.

Both external monitors are the same brand and model and were bought together.

Those of you with this setup (2 monitors connected to same video card) have you experienced similar?

Chances are you need to adjust the settings for the screens individually as they are different resolutions; As you have an Nvidia GPU, right click on the desktop > Nvidia control panel; the under 'Display' click 'Change resolution' then select the monitor you want to adjust-say the blurry one-and adjust the resolution and see how you go.
    Edit:

glynf wrote: »
    Chances are you need to adjust the settings for the screens individually as they are different resolutions; As you have an Nvidia GPU, right click on the desktop > Nvidia control panel; the under 'Display' click 'Change resolution' then select the monitor you want to adjust-say the blurry one-and adjust the resolution and see how you go.
    Edit:

Cheers, there isn't an option under the NVidia control panel, but there is under the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel.

I might play around with the brightness settings on that and see if I can get the screens to match.

If it really bothers me I can always go with the USB to HDMI route as obviously VGA isn't really up to scratch compared to HDMI quality.

Yea.. the lower res. VGA will look a bit rubbish next to a 1080p panel.

Advertisement