Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonalds cheese slice

Options
  • 24-07-2015 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Are they available to buy anywhere? I haven't found anything like them in the cheese slices section of any supermarket. Anyone also know who makes them for McD's ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

According to this article they're made in Coleraine by Kerry Group. Not sure if you can buy them anywhere though.

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/kerry-home-mcdonalds-first-irish-flagship-dairy-farm/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

there is a chemical in the cheese which makes it go more runny/melty. In one of these "modern cuisine" and/or "takeaway secrets" books they listed it and a recipe to replicate it.

I think the same stuff is in nacho cheese but most of these have added spices.

If you find the chemical name you could check the packets of easi single type slices and see if it is there and high on the list.

To get melted cheese and buns more like takeaways I make my burger and immediately put it in the bun and put it on a plate with a bowl over it. This lets it "sweat" which steams and softens the bun a little, and gets the cheese more melted. Or I stick them in sandwich bags and seal them.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Alan70

mud wrote: »
    According to this article they're made in Coleraine by Kerry Group. Not sure if you can buy them anywhere though.

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/kerry-home-mcdonalds-first-irish-flagship-dairy-farm/

Cheese to McDonald's and pizza Hut world wide is supplied by Glanbia via an American factory l believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Tell us more Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lidls processed slices is the closest I've found. Tenery brand, German made.

Mcds have an emmenthal sauce used sometimes which I far prefer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Not exactly answering your question but my tip for melting cheese of any type - when you're just finished cooking, take the pan off the heat, toss about a tablespoon of water into the pan and VERY QUICKLY cover with another pan/metal/foil bowl. It'll steam and melt the cheese in about 20 seconds. Bit of cracked pepper on top and man, you're in flavour country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Proxy wrote: »
    Not exactly answering your question but my tip for melting cheese of any type - when you're just finished cooking, take the pan off the heat, toss about a tablespoon of water into the pan and VERY QUICKLY cover with another pan/metal/foil bowl. It'll steam and melt the cheese in about 20 seconds. Bit of cracked pepper on top and man, you're in flavour country.

I used to work in a burger joint. We'd use one of those metal covering lids, throw an ice-cube on the grill and throw the lid on top of everything. Perfectly melted cheese or cooked eggs. Perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Sodium citrate is used to convert normal cheeses in to the gooey versions used in burger cheese

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

vicwatson wrote: »
    Are they available to buy anywhere? I haven't found anything like them in the cheese slices section of any supermarket. Anyone also know who makes them for McD's ??

Why would you want to buy them?? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

duploelabs wrote: »
    Sodium citrate is used to convert normal cheeses in to the gooey versions used in burger cheese

What about all the extra salt and the stuff that makes it shiny and like jelly !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

bmm wrote: »
    What about all the extra salt and the stuff that makes it shiny and like jelly !

Eh all sodiums are salts! The compound is an emulsifier and makes it go 'all shiney and gooey'

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Jaysus who cares about the ingredients, I wanna buy and eat it. But can I buy it somewhere?:D

Advertisement