Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M.Sc. in Management for Sustainable Development at DCU

Options
  • 24-07-2015 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I got accepted for the above course which is through springboard (I'm currently unemployed and trying to chose a career in a field I'm interested in), however this course is online and I couldn't find any feedback from anyone who already took this. Does anyone know anything about it? My second and third option would be postgrad certificate in innovation and entrepreneur in trinity and last, same course at UCD, which got good reviews.
    Any information on these courses as in quality/recognition would be very appreciated (specially the sustainable Managment)
    Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Anongeneric

Hey ACGR,

I just accepted a place on this as a postgrad. I had a look at the 'postgrad certificate in innovation and entrepreneur'
    and I also know 2 people tha tdid it and to be honest it sounds like awful nonsense.
    Imo if you want to be an entrepreneur you will, it can't really be taught.

Having said that..... which did you accept?

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭ComaWhite

ACGR wrote: »
    I got accepted for the above course which is through springboard (I'm currently unemployed and trying to chose a career in a field I'm interested in), however this course is online and I couldn't find any feedback from anyone who already took this. Does anyone know anything about it? My second and third option would be postgrad certificate in innovation and entrepreneur in trinity and last, same course at UCD, which got good reviews.
    Any information on these courses as in quality/recognition would be very appreciated (specially the sustainable Managment)
    Thank you!

I've just been accepted onto this course through Springboard too and would like to know what to expect!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ACGR

Hey, I chose the Trinity one! It wasn't my favourite subject but I think it's important to meet people and network rather than take the entire course online, that's the main reason why I went for it. If you have the time please let us know what you think of the sustainable course as it's what I am most interested in :)
    Thanks

ComaWhite wrote: »
    I've just been accepted onto this course through Springboard too and would like to know what to expect!

Hey ComaWhite,

I'll be trying to go over these courses to some extent as a kind of self-regulated preparatory course;

Introduction to Sustainable Development

The Age of Sustainable Development

Global Sustainable Energy: Past, Present, Future.

They're all from Coursera and free.
    Boards won't let me post links for some reason.
    Go to coursera . org and type in Sustainable Development and they should appear on the first page.

Don't imagine I'll be able to complete all of them but a start is a start.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭ComaWhite

Hey ComaWhite,

I'll be trying to go over these courses to some extent as a kind of self-regulated preparatory course;

Introduction to Sustainable Development

The Age of Sustainable Development

Global Sustainable Energy: Past, Present, Future.

They're all from Coursera and free.
    Boards won't let me post links for some reason.
    Go to coursera . org and type in Sustainable Development and they should appear on the first page.

Don't imagine I'll be able to complete all of them but a start is a start.

Regards

Oh you legend, thanks! I never thought of Coursera! I'll get on it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 urban sprawl

I'm in year 2 of a different MSc at DCU (also delivered online) but it follows the same first year course as the Sustainable Development masters. I found it ok. There is excellent access to resources and, if you are disciplined, you will get a lot from your studies. However, I thought the expectation in terms of standards and quality were a little low. The assignments (certainly in the first year) were very doable.

ComaWhite wrote: »
    Oh you legend, thanks! I never thought of Coursera! I'll get on it :)

Hey,

If you looked at these you've probably realised that they are not terribly related to the Master's.
    They are interesting though. I'm going to an open night in DCU on Thursday to try and get more info.

I'll post here if I get any joy

Hey,

I went to the open night on Thursday..
    I didn't really get a great deal more info than what's available on the DCU website but..

I'm also doing this through Springboard
    If you want to write the 20,000 word dissertation and pay the 1,880 euros you can convert your postgrad diploma into a Master's, obviously much better from a career point of view.

However, we will graduate in November 2016 ie. after that academic year( 2016-2017) has started, this means that we can only start the Master's/dissertation module in the academic year 2017-2018.

I asked Maree Ralph(Sprinboard Co-ordinator I think) if there is any way around this so that it would be possible to complete it in the academic year 2016-2017, she said she'd get back to me.

Course layout-

Project and Change Management (15 credits) OSC1 & Management for Sustainable Development - OSC14 are taught in tandem during the first semester.

Business Support Systems - OSC2 & Research Methods and Case Study - OSC3 are taught in semester 2.

There are 3 asignments per topic(6 in total for each semester) and we are given 1 months notice to complete them.

As regards reading material/preparatory work, she said to look at the reading list from last year that it will be very similar.
    If you look at the reading list from last year there are a number of books on it from 2000/2001, again I asked her about this one in particular 'Patricia M. Wallace: 2001, The psychology of the Internet, 9780521797092', I checked the ISBN number and it looks like a fourth edition but I couldn't see a year on it.
    But I wouldn't be a big fan of a book on the Psychology of the Internet written in 2001.

She said she'd get back to me!!

Regards

I got this in a private message but will just answer here in case anyone else has any of the same questions

"Hi
    Can you tell me any more about the modules involved in the sustainable development MsC in DCU?
    Is it possible to convert to the masters straight away and thus avoid the problem you mention of needing to sit out a year?
    What are job prospects like, is there any placement involved in the programme?
    thanks"

All the Modules and what's required in each is available on the DCU website.

As I said in my last post I hope there is a way of converting it into a Master's starting academic year 2016-2017 but I'm still waiting for a reply from Maree Ralph at DCU.

Job Prospects, I don't really have a clue, I'm obviously hoping that there are. There is a open day/meet and greet with lecturers on the 21/09/15, and I'm hoping to get some info on that from them then. As far as I'm aware there is no placement of any kind with this program, but Maree Ralph told me it's in big demand with NGOs and bigger corporations, but then she kind of doe shave to say things like that to get you interested, doesn't she.

Regards

I got this in a private message but will just answer here in case anyone else has any of the same questions

"Hi
    Can you tell me any more about the modules involved in the sustainable development MsC in DCU?
    Is it possible to convert to the masters straight away and thus avoid the problem you mention of needing to sit out a year?
    What are job prospects like, is there any placement involved in the programme?
    thanks"

All the Modules and what's required in each is available on the DCU website.

As I said in my last post I hope there is a way of converting it into a Master's starting academic year 2016-2017 but I'm still waiting for a reply from Maree Ralph at DCU.

Job Prospects, I don't really have a clue, I'm obviously hoping that there are. There is a open day/meet and greet with lecturers on the 21/09/15, and I'm hoping to get some info on that from them then. As far as I'm aware there is no placement of any kind with this program, but Maree Ralph told me it's in big demand with NGOs and bigger corporations, but then she kind of does have to say things like that to get you interested, doesn't she.

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 AisLingRey

Hi guys, in the process of applying for this course, just wondering how anyone who started it is getting on one year on?

PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Megamush

Hi I was thinking of undertaking this course - has anybody got any comments on this course or indeed job prospects from the course.

thanks in advance

Advertisement