Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

980ti causing reboot?

Options
  • 24-07-2015 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Im currently driven demeted here by a new problem.

I just replaced my dual 580s gtx with a 980ti 6gb.

I did a clean install of the drivers.

But when I try msi afterburner, play 20 minutes of a game, or refresh the "Windows Experience Index"

the computer powers off and restarts.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Ive been onto dell, they ran tests (CPUID, Prime95, etc) and they do not believe it is a PSU issue.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!!

Main Board: Alienware 0XDJ4C , Intel X58 (Tylersburg 36S) + ICH10R
    Bios Version: A11, American Megatrends
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
    PSU: 1000w Power Supply: Dell U62d
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz
    Memory: 12gb Kingston (ddr3)
    SSD/ HDD: 240gb ssd Sandisk, 4tb Seagate
    Sound Card: Creative x-fi
    Any Additional hardware plugged into your system:
    OC: No
    Operating System: win7 Ultimate, service pack 1, (x64)

CPU cooler: (unknown, trying to find out)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Does it run okay in safe mode?

Sounds like a driver issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

First thing I thought was a PSU as you are putting full load when you are playing games, whats the temps?

He isn't putting anywhere near full load on a 1kW PSU with a single 980Ti

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

He isn't putting anywhere near full load on a 1kW PSU with a single 980Ti

I know that, but it be failing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I can run the 'heaven benchmark' just fine

FPS:
    Score:
    Min FPS:
    Max FPS:
    System

Platform:
    Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1) 64bit
    CPU model:
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz (3207MHz) x4
    GPU model:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 10.18.13.5330 (4095MB) x1
    Settings

Render:
    Direct3D11
    Mode:
    1920x1080 8xAA fullscreen
    Preset
    Custom
    Quality
    High
    Tessellation: Disabled

Temps seem fine. Temps are around 50c. Its bizzare.

Edit:

I used DDU,

and removed all traces of drivers, clean install of early drivers, same thing happened, cleaned installed again, tried the newest drivers, so... and just shuts off like the power went, then restarts.

• Advertisement

The Ti should be drawing much less power than dual 580s, which would rule out a PSU problem in my eyes, unless I'm missing something.

You've tested two different drivers have you?

Edit* Does it die on Heaven if you let it run, without the benchmark going? And does it work fine for regular usage, e.g. browsing etc

The Ti should be drawing much less power than dual 580s, which would rule out a PSU problem in my eyes, unless I'm missing something.

You've tested two different drivers have you?

Yes, I used the older drivers from may (353.06) and tried the newer ones (353.30)

Edit: ill try Heaven now, without the benchmark going, and no, it hasnt crashed outside of a game yet. (exlcuding msi afterburner & 'Windows Experience Index'

Edit 2: Yes, it runs fine on Heaven under ultra/extreme and full screen. I can walk about, free cam, etc, and no issues at all.

I've put back in the dual 580s and no cut outs at all.

When I put back in the 890ti.... Back to square one.

Possible it's a faulty card?

Do the 580s use 8+8 pins? Could be something like that if they don't. Probably the cards fault

Do the 580s use 8+8 pins? Could be something like that if they don't. Probably the cards fault

580s use 6+8

But the card came with an adapter things to turn one 6 into 8

• Advertisement

That'd be for 6+6 PSUs is it?

I'd say it's the GPU, though there are better troubleshooters than I

That'd be for 6+6 PSUs is it?

I'd say it's the GPU, though there are better troubleshooters than I

It be 8+8 for the Psu. I've couple options with different cables, wondering if I should mix and match.

Cheers for the help Digital Solitude, i do appreciate it. :) my weekend plans of amazing gaming do lie in ruins! I will figure this out lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I've a gigabyte G1 gaming 980ti and have had other problems. Graphics card crashing back to windows and closing my game/not being able to play the game again until I reboot.

Make sure you do this first and foremost. It has helped solve issues like yours for some people.

That didn't solve my issue though a driver rollback did. Mine works fine now on 353.06 but if I have MSI Afterburner on it will crash it every time. So unfortunately for me I can't overclock my card until new drivers are released to fix it.

Fingers crossed you don't have a faulty card but I actually doubt that you do as a large number of people have driver issues with the 980ti.

Also just for clarification my card would run fine on heavenly when I pushed the card to the max on MSI afterburner. So I firmly beleive that the drivers and afterburner are not working well together in games. I haven't tried the new drivers released earlier this month because it sounds like it doesn't fix anything related to my problems.

Hey I have a solution of sorts, but not sure if this is safe of not......

So, I got one of the pin cables (6+2) that went into one of the old 580 cards and connected it into the 980, then got a second pin cable (6+2) that had previously gone the other 580 card, and boom! it works, I have benchmark, play games without crashing, etc.

But is this safe or will it damage the motherboards, the gpu, etc??

cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

It may be just a dodgy cable, or it could be a failing PSU; Del/Alienware use or at least used to use proprietary PSU's, so it could be a multi rail with one rail failing.. If it was me I would replace, a dodgy PSU could easily fry your GPU and other components.

Saying that the current drivers are sh!te, surround is not working properly for me since I upgraded 780 >980ti; so it could be that.

What's your setup with the power cables to the GPU valeyard?

What's your setup with the power cables to the GPU valeyard?

Emmm, what you mean?

Assuming its a multi rail PSU, using the two 8 (6+2) pins may be spreading the load a bit better on the PSU's rails. If its a power issue, or you even think it is-get rid of the current and pick up a decent PSU. Not worth bricking your PC over it.

gahhh,

think ive got a new issue!!

The heatsink fan has stopped spinning, now, not sure if the heat of the card caused it, or this was casuing the shutdown in the first place?

Taken out the fan, cleaned it, working fine now. Heatsink does Exactly what it says, gets hot quick.

May invest in a new one, it's about 3 years old.

Thanks for all the help everyone :) I really do appreciate it.

• Advertisement

Glad you got sorted.

Advertisement