Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting with cat in Limerick

Options
  • 24-07-2015 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone,

This is my first post (likely of many to come) so please correct me if I've made any error in posting here!

My husband and I are a young professional couple moving to Limerick from Edmonton, Canada in August and are having trouble finding cat-friendly places to rent. He and I are landlords ourselves and fully understand the no pets rule, particularly no dogs due to potential noise, but I didn't anticipate it being so difficult with a cat! I've noticed some people will not rent to students either which was even more surprising as we are a late-20's professional couple, not partying undergraduate students!

We would prefer within Limerick City or Castletroy as my husband will be entering graduate medical school at UL, however, we would consider a short commute for the right place.

Does anyone know of any rentals that may suit us?

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

You might get more help in the Limerick forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=476

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Ireland has a culture of mostly banning pets in rented accommodation. Personally I believe this is because we also have a culture of fully furnished renting and the landlord simply does not want the extra wear and tear of pets on the furnishings. Cats in particular if bored tend to scratch the furniture I have found.

You can try contact landlords directly and see if they will perhaps accept a larger deposit for having a pet in the house in case the pet causes damage.

Good luck in your hunt.

Edit to to day Limerick city and the outskirt area is quite small and you can commute easily anywhere at all. You can get a bus every 20 minutes from the city center to UL and the journey is only about 15 minutes so while it might be handy to live in Castletroy, you do not have to limit yourself to there.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Can I presume you have used daft.ie already to help with your search? You can filter your searches to only show you places that accept pets. There are a couple showing right now but at the upper end of the price range!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BConradi

Thanks everyone - We have been using Daft.ie and do intend to check out a couple of those but we've had a hard time hearing back from landlords as we've had to email rather than call due to being international.

Our cat is neutered and declawed so it's highly unlikely he would be capable of damage. Maybe we're better off waiting until we arrive and calling people directly to explain our situation or explaining at viewings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

BConradi wrote: »
    Thanks everyone - We have been using Daft.ie and do intend to check out a couple of those but we've had a hard time hearing back from landlords as we've had to email rather than call due to being international.

Our cat is neutered and declawed so it's highly unlikely he would be capable of damage. Maybe we're better off waiting until we arrive and calling people directly to explain our situation or explaining at viewings?

Another problem is pet dander. A certain percentage of the population is allergic to pet dander and when it comes time to move out the landlord might have a problem renting to anyone with the allergy since it is hard to completely clean pet dander from a home, especially when the furniture stays when the tenant moves out.

You can call the landlords from Canada, it is always better to do so than email. You can do it quite cheaply if you use Skype and subscribe to international calling.

A lot of landlords will require references also, it might be hard to rent some places without references from landlords in Ireland which will limit you even more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 BConradi

Another problem is pet dander. A certain percentage of the population is allergic to pet dander and when it comes time to move out the landlord might have a problem renting to anyone with the allergy since it is hard to completely clean pet dander from a home, especially when the furniture stays when the tenant moves out.

You can call the landlords from Canada, it is always better to do so than email. You can do it quite cheaply if you use Skype and subscribe to international calling.

A lot of landlords will require references also, it might be hard to rent some places without references from landlords in Ireland which will limit you even more.

I definitely agree and understand that it can be a hassle. I'm just surprised there are so few options as over 50% of the population here have house pets. My husband and I bought our first homes so have never rented before - just bought and sold our own properties so landlord references are a whole other discussion! Hoping notes from employers and real estate agents will be enough.

Advertisement