Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harmonstown/Raheny kids on motorbikes

Options
  • 24-07-2015 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

I decided to go for a walk in St Anne's Park earlier. I don't live locally but I used to work around there and decided it'd be nice to go back for old time's sake. It's no exaggeration to say that I nearly lost my life in the process.

As I was walking down Sybil Hill Road towards the park, just coming up to St Paul's College, three young teenagers on motorbikes came along. One was on the road, but one passed immediately to my right on the footpath. He came from behind. I instinctively stepped to my left but there was a third one coming immediately behind right behind me. He shouted something and I somehow managed to step out of the way. The little scr*tes were behaving with a complete disregard for themselves and others. The guy on the road passed between two cars, one going in either direction. It all happened so fast but I am pretty sure they went into the park.

I immediately called Raheny Garda Station and the Garda was polite if not exactly enthusiastic. He didn't ask for my name - I would have given it. I outlined exactly what had happened and he basically said they would send a car or whatever out and give them a 'talking to'.

The reason I'm posting here is that this is completely unprecedented in my experience. I'm Dublin born and bred and indeed I even worked around Donaghmede for a while and never encountered the likes of this. I strongly believe that this didn't happen out of nowhere. These guys looked like they knew what they were doing and they need to be stopped. I was one step away from life-changing injury or death. Can anyone shed any light on this or indeed PM me if you feel you've anything more specific that the Gardaí could act on. I relaxed and enjoyed my walk all the same but now as the evening goes on, I'm realising that this has to be stopped. That is a generally quiet, pleasant area and thus my guard was down and this happened out of nowhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

I live in Clontarf and work in Donaghmede. There are plenty OF kids driving around the Donahies field and around Darndale on motorbikes these days. It's not fair and the Gardai seem to be doing nothing about it. They've bigger fish to fry I suppose around there but it still needs to be addressed at the same time. Kids are coming off them and doing serious injury to themselves... not to mention the risk for people like you and I.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

By the time the cops got there the kids are long gone. It actually is a waste of their time, sorry to say OP. kids on motorbikes are nothing new and is only briefly addressed when one of them wrecks themselves, then people forget and away they go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

By the time the cops got there the kids are long gone. It actually is a waste of their time, sorry to say OP. kids on motorbikes are nothing new and is only briefly addressed when one of them wrecks themselves, then people forget and away they go again.

The Gardai don't have to catch the people doing it everytime. If I know the kids who are at it they certainly do. Nothing stopping them from calling to their homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

CWF wrote: »
    The Gardai don't have to catch the people doing it everytime. If I know the kids who are at it they certainly do. Nothing stopping them from calling to their homes.
    Nothing to stop them confiscating and crushing the bikes if they're not taxed and insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

Yeah, I'm well aware of what happens on the Donahies field and indeed other open areas. However, this really was different in my experience in that they were literally behaving as if they owned the footpath and indeed the road.

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Nothing to stop them confiscating and crushing the bikes if they're not taxed and insured.

And bluntly that is the kind of thing I'd like to see happen. Simple, uncomplicated policing and standing up for the law-abiding majority, which is so seriously lacking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

It's not at all unusual to see scumbag kids on motorbikes / quads riding northwards up Amiens Street on the footpath, so unfortunately I wouldn't say it's unprecedented.

It's not at all unusual to see scumbag kids on motorbikes / quads riding northwards up Amiens Street on the footpath, so unfortunately I wouldn't say it's unprecedented.

I'll take your word for it. I don't often walk along Amiens St north of Connolly Station unless I'm heading to Croke Park or something. I suppose what I was really getting at was the fact that Sybil Hill Road and that general area is so 'leafy' to put it one way that it was the last thing I was expecting. I'd always be more on my guard somewhere around Amiens St.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

They're rallying around Sheriff St/Oriel St. almost every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

OP - I think my husband saw those scrotes around the park - it must have been on Friday as we were talking about it on Saturday. He said there was a squad car and a garda van stalking them - so your call must have worked.

Hopefully they caught the idiots. People should be entitled to enjoy their amenities without risking life and limb.

• Advertisement
Advertisement