Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climbing on Reek Sunday?

Options
  • 25-07-2015 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Im just curious if climbing Croagh Patrick on the last Sunday of July is a common thing with Boards.ie members or not... :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

loreanatus wrote: »
    Im just curious if climbing Croagh Patrick on the last Sunday of July is a common thing with Boards.ie members or not... :)

You would be a fool to try and climb it today, it has been cancelled for the first time ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 loreanatus

I heard the news today - Im sure some will still go.
    Xenji wrote: »
    You would be a fool to try and climb it today, it has been cancelled for the first time ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I heard the news today - Im sure some will still go.

Hundreds of fools are still climbing it despite the warning, with any bit of luck the wind will blow these eejits out to sea.

http://m.rte.ie/news/2015/0726/717246-croagh-patrick-pilgrimage/

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

It was already asked in AH but no one's giving a serious response. What happens if these people do get into trouble and require medical help? I can see from some reports that emergency responders are at the base but I'd imagine they won't have first aid camp at the top as usual if its that dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

aunt aggie wrote: »
    It was already asked in AH but no one's giving a serious response. What happens if these people do get into trouble and require medical help? I can see from some reports that emergency responders are at the base but I'd imagine they won't have first aid camp at the top as usual if its that dangerous.

It would be the Mayo Mountain Rescue, but the medical tent basically blew away last night and they do not have one set up now, the coastguard have also said that due to zero visibility they would not be able to assist anyone.

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »
    It would be the Mayo Mountain Rescue, but the medical tent basically blew away last night and they do not have one set up now, the coastguard have also said that due to zero visibility they would not be able to assist anyone.

From the pictures in the rte article it looks like the Order of Malta are there are well. But would they be required to put their own safety at risk if they got a medical emergency? I know Mayo Mountain Rescue might include more experienced climbers but it's a big ask after it was very publicly cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 loreanatus

aunt aggie wrote: »
    From the pictures in the rte article it looks like the Order of Malta are there are well.

Is that from this year?

Is that from this year?

I assumed so, but maybe not..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Order of Malta were there indeed, I was shocked to see people with kids around 6 or 7 still ignoring advice and heading up. I appreciate that they may have travelled but when you have the glass alter extension and rescue tents blown down then why they ignored Garda and Rescue team advice is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

yop wrote: »
    why they ignored Garda and Rescue team advice is beyond me.

Because some people are stupid ignorant f*cking clowns. Was talking to a couple of the Mountain Rescue crew who would definitely agree with my thoughts after today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Because some people are stupid ignorant f*cking clowns. Was talking to a couple of the Mountain Rescue crew who would definitely agree with my thoughts after today.

They had every right to put up a sign to state that you climb at your own risk and no rescue will occur.
    What was a 14 year old doing up there last night, got hypothermia after 8 hours on the Reek!! FFS what planet are the parents on.

Just listened to one of the Mayo Mountain Rescue team explain how bad it was up there. Tents that have survived K2 with 2 inch wide poles snapped in the wind! Paul Feeney was speaking and said he met a couple with a 12 week old baby and told them to turn back but they refused.
    Another couple with a 3 year old climbing on Sunday!!!!

Its just head shaking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

At least 11 casualties from what I've been told. Hard work for the Mountain Rescue crew in those conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Depending on direction the wnd can accelerate when it meets the mountain.

Thus it may be fairly calm on ground lever at Murrisk, but a wind from the prevailing direction SW can be strong at t he saddle or at the cone. The fact that a tent designed for K2 conditions blew away speaks for itself. Another experienced climber reported that he had to go on hands and knees up at the summit.

Mountain rescue have extensive experience of the mountains. Cannot understand why some climbers did not heed them

Sailors and islanders in Clew Bay have experienced the "Black Squall". This comes off the Reek under certain conditions, sometimes from a clear blue sky. An island man was drowned by such a squall in the 1950s

Mountains and the sea have to be respected

Advertisement