Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd Email Issue

Options
  • 25-07-2015 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭

We have a very old but fairly important @indigo.ie email address in work. We just recently switched from terrible Eircom internet to amazing UPC broadband, and I'm getting error messages referencing Spamhaus whenever I try to send anything from the address.

Some Google searching suggests it might be because I'm using a different connection it is getting flagged as spam? Do I need to replace the Eircom SMTP server details with their UPC equivalent?

Second issue: I hope the old indigo address won't stop working entirely once we cancel our Eircom broadband/email account? That would be bad.

EDIT: I just found this http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057048876
    Which implies I might be right about needing to switch to UPC's server. Which just begs the question, what is the ultimate authorisation protocol for SMTP email addresses? I have to use a password to use that email address, if it wasn't Eircom overseeing this security then who?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

You need to replace your Eircom outgoing server details to smtp@upcmail.ie

I do not think the old indigo address will stop working once you cancel your Eircom broadband account - many people are still using mail1@eircom.net for their POP3 incoming mail server while using 3ireland and others as their SMTP.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

Morning,

nope your mail will not stop working when you leave Eircom. All you need to do is set the SMTP on the mail connector properties to smtp.upcmail.ie and you should be good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Worked perfectly, thanks!

Now, another issue. A different account got the following error message on an email to someone in RTE:

SMTP error from remote server after RCPT command:
    host: rte-ie.mail.protection.outlook.com
    5.7.51 TenantInboundAttribution; There is a partner connector configured that matched the message's recipient domain. The connector had either the RestrictDomainsToIPAddresses or RestrictDomainsToCertificate set

Which to me sounds like they've assigned our old IP address to our emails, and now that we're on a different IP they're getting rejected. Is this likely an internal RTE server issue - is there anything I can do?

This address is configured to use a third party email server and has been working perfectly for other addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Zillah wrote: »
    Second issue: I hope the old indigo address won't stop working entirely once we cancel our Eircom broadband/email account? That would be bad.
    You should really, really use this as an opportunity to migrate the address away to a proper email provider (ideally under your own domain). This email address will stop working at some stage, and probably not all that far in the future. There's no profit to be had by Eircom supporting it, so every hour spent on it is money down the drain. At some point, the server will break, or the domain will expire, and Eircom won't spend the money to fix it.

Migrating an email address is painful, yes. But it's nothing compared to the sh*tstorm that will happen when you don't have access to the account anymore

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Zillah wrote: »
    Worked perfectly, thanks!

Now, another issue. A different account got the following error message on an email to someone in RTE:

SMTP error from remote server after RCPT command:
    host: rte-ie.mail.protection.outlook.com
    5.7.51 TenantInboundAttribution; There is a partner connector configured that matched the message's recipient domain. The connector had either the RestrictDomainsToIPAddresses or RestrictDomainsToCertificate set

Which to me sounds like they've assigned our old IP address to our emails, and now that we're on a different IP they're getting rejected. Is this likely an internal RTE server issue - is there anything I can do?

This address is configured to use a third party email server and has been working perfectly for other addresses.

It's not clear whether you're talking about the same @indigo.ie address here or not - you mention "another account" and a "third party mail server".

The receiving mail server doesn't now what IP address you sent an e-mail from, it only knows the address of the SMTP server that sent the email (your originating IP address might be in the SMTP headers, but it wouldn't be reliable). So the fact that you changed from using eircom to some other ISP and are now connecting to the internet with a different ISP shouldn't make any difference, because your "third party mail servers" IP address shouldn't have been affected by that change, but you haven't really given enough detail to tell - if this is still the indigo.ie address that you're talking about, then RTE might well have configured their mail server to only accept indigo.ie e-mails from eircoms own mail servers.

(This isn't a very reliable thing to do, but if you're being very aggressive about fighting spam, it's something that you might stick in).

It's definitely something to be aware about for the indigo.ie e-mail address. Eircom hasn't published an SPF record for indigo.ie as far as I can tell, but you may find that e-mail from that domain get's a slightly higher spam score when sent through the UPC servers than through eircoms own servers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

28064212 wrote: »
    Migrating an email address is painful, yes. But it's nothing compared to the sh*tstorm that will happen when you don't have access to the account anymore
    I'd second that.

You should definitely think hard about how you want to present yourselves going forward, and start using a new e-mail address, whether a free outlook.ie/gmail.com address, or by registering a domain and paying for e-mail service using that domain.

You can keep receiving mail at the indigo.ie address for as long as eircom will support it, but you really stop sending e-mail from that address, and update any other accounts that you use that address as the contact information for.

Advertisement