Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licensee asking if friend can stay indefinitely

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Elto78

this is what I told her
    that if she was sharing a flat with another tenant she also would need to ask if ok
    and if not they she can't

in this case I have made my answer quite clear and long term stay until this person finds a job is a big NO.

and I did explain reason why.

so now my point has been made or she stays or she goes. but I do not feel I am in the wrong in this case at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,346 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Elto78 wrote: »
    Licensees/lodgers don't have statutory rights but they have contractual rights and in this case the OP has, unconventionally, committed them to writing.

The conflation of these circumstances is laughable.

By describing your written agreement as "unconventional", I was not criticising it. What you have described in your posts is a sensible, sensitive and common sense approach to sharing your property with a paying lodger. You are to be commended for that. Personally, I would not have agreed to 2 weeks of the third person in any circumstances.

What I decry are those seeking to suggest that your lodger's position in your property is so tenuous as to permit them no entitlements whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Elto78

sorry if I thought you were :( sorry

The 2 weeks is now out of the questions anyway as she did not want them as not long enough for him to find a job. it is her way or the highway apparently.

And I will not offer them again as I would now fear he will not leave now.

she probably thought I would say yes as I am nice but I did not. There are rules and if I respect the rules as the owner so should she as the lodger. I feel trust is gone a bit. she only has been here 3 months btw. so I always try to explain nicely but in this case I clearly see I kind of ruined her plan. and this is not my problem.

I normally select lodgers on interview basis so I see a lot, take notes and then decide.

and it was in the licensee agreement she signed, visitors are allowed but as everyone said and myself included this would then not be a visitor as it would be long term which is clearly outside of the agreement she signed.

if I was to move in with my Boyfriend I would then give her a month notice as privacy for me is a big thing. and I kind of expect the same.

maybe not all people have the same respect than I have for others

Advertisement