Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to keep an early riser entertained?

• 25-07-2015 5:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    as the title suggests, my 19 month old wakes anytime between 5 - 6:30am. By 8.00 we have exhausted all avenues for entertainment, like toys, books, balloons, bubbles, water play and kids tv. When weather permits we go outside but its an awful summer here and very rainy.
    when he gets bored he roars and hangs out of me.
    Does anyone else have a toddler who us an early riser and how do you fill up the morning?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Buggy, bottle and peppa.. While i sneak back to bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I wish that was an option but he'd be looking for me 10 mins later! Tv doesnt catch his attention for too long...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

I wish that was an option but he'd be looking for me 10 mins later! Tv doesnt catch his attention for too long...

Walk around the estate?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I hear ya sista.

we are up since 5am. just going to get dressed now
    and head to the park.

we are both sick of the sick of each other at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Will he sit in the buggy for long? If so get out, do a bit of grocery shopping, go for some morning tea/breakfast? Prolong the morning tea as long as you can :). Is there an outdoor play area nearby? Go for a walk for an hour outside if the weather is ok. Or a nice drive somewhere if he will sit in his car seat for long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Is he too young for duplo or toy food gets hours of entertainment here but mine is over two so a bit more into it. Feeds the teddies breakfast etc

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Duplo ,my 15 month old is eating a banana and playing with the blocks .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I'm up since 5am too! I try the bottle, buggy and tv trick but it doesn't always work!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

My daughter used to be a very early riser too. Once we had played lots, I used to hand her a dust cloth and let her "help" while I got some cleaning done. I also bought her a mini sweeping brush and she used to "help" with that too. It kept her occupied and I actually got some stuff done.

Failing that I used to put some towels on the floor (our place is all tiled), half filled a basin with water and bubble bath and let her play with that.....that used to occupy her for a good while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I've a 21 month old and he is often up at 6.30am (after a broken night's sleep). Pre-crawling stage was awful trying to fill the mornings but thankfully much easier now.

If I want a shower, I put him in the travel cot with nursery rhymes on my tablet and give him a banana.

Then we come downstairs. First thing I do, rain hail or shine, is put him in his waterproofs, open the back door and let him off! If I don't do this, he is extremely clingy. He has various toys out there to sit on/push around the garden - and a rabbit to chase! I get the breakfast ready and do a few kitchen jobs and watch him through the window. I put cartoons on so it keeps him coming in and out to the house and he might sit and watch them for 15 mins then head out the back again. Breakfast is usually eaten on the go as he plays, I regularly find bits of toast around the place, which he finds and eats throughout the morn!

Later we'll go for a walk or cycle to the playground. I bring some fruit or some healthy snack and we'll share it while sitting by the ducks. Then back home and nap.

Even in lashing rain I go out for a walk. I have excellent rain gear called Frogg Toggs. Actually I am more likely to get out in the rain because there is something about bad weather combined with closed doors that makes me feel utterly hopeless!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

livinsane wrote: »
    First thing I do, rain hail or shine, is put him in his waterproofs, open the back door and let him off! If I don't do this, he is extremely clingy.
    Fair play to you:). Too many parents are afraid of a little rain. If you dress them properly they are grand.
    Buggy, bottle and peppa.. While i sneak back to bed!
    Jaysus eek.png

Just start your normal day earlier OP. They presumably nap earlier too when you can catch up on your sleep. It is bright by about 6am so there is nothing stopping you going outside for a walk or local playground/park or whatever else you normally do with your day.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Just start your normal day earlier OP. They presumably nap earlier too when you can catch up on your sleep. It is bright by about 6am so there is nothing stopping you going outside for a walk or local playground/park or whatever else you normally do with your day.

i find it really difficult to start my day at 5am. i really cant get my head around cleaning the bathroom at this time LOL

I am also conscience about the neighbours, i dont really like letting him outside before 8am but 4 days a week we are out of the house by 715am, so not too much of an issue)

the other 3 days whats a nap?

iam dreading the winter, it is going to be hard getting to the park in the dark and rain at 7am.

Thanks for all the suggestions - some things to consider there.
    I think part of the problem is that he expects to be entertained by mammy or daddy the whole time - he loses interest in things very fast - this is probably our fault, and we are trying to get him to play a bit more on his own.
    For those who mentioned Duplo, he got lots for his first bday but is not into it yet really -mammy and daddy play with it more than he does!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Ipad or kindle (with age appropriate games - duplo have a few, so do fisher price, or Dr. Panda). :o

Our kids the same, 5.30 is a lie in...:rolleyes: that usually gives us a little time in bed. Both our kids never watch tv (the 3.5 year old only started recently, but only for a very short time then gets bored), so for us the ipad was a life saver...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

livinsane wrote: »
    First thing I do, rain hail or shine, is put him in his waterproofs, open the back door and let him off!

I love this idea! What kind of waterproofs do you have for him? I was eyeing up a puddlesuit in mothercare recently but couldn't make up my mind whether to buy it or not.

We go walking every day in rain, hail or shine too. The buggy is at the end of the stairs so I bring them down in the morning and load them straight in. It's more for my sanity than anything else, I find if I don't get out, I'm all fidgety and cabin fever-ish by the afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

as illogical as the 26county electorate voting in Bertie again for a last term, is the lack of waterproof clothes options in Ireland for kids.
    Every spring in Germany the shops are full of waterproof jackets and dungaree type trousers for newborns toddlers and children, and department stores have these all year long.
    Go to a shop like dunnes or pennys in Ireland (a country with a repuation for being slightly damp) and you will not find a single thing. I tried last summer. Not a thing.

Crazy country. No wonder kids end up obese if theres no concept of adapting to the weather and just getting on with outdoor activities.

But indeed, when back visiting the granparents in Cork or Cavan we also just put the waterproofs on the kids, they play about outside, and come back in bone dry (abeit a little sweaty) and suitably drained of energy.

as illogical as the 26county electorate voting in Bertie again for a last term, is the lack of waterproof clothes options in Ireland for kids.

In denmark kids 2-piece thermal sets and waterproof sets are the norm in department stores. They are also a requirement for daycare. The waterproof trousers are cute aswell, with the little braces on them, so added bonus ;)

Have the waterproof trousers with braces, they are great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If you don't mind spending a bit extra, jojomamanbebe have loads of waterproof gear for kids.

http://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/pp+childrens-coats-rainwear-and+wellies

Otherwise I have definitely seen Lidl/Aldi with kids waterproof gear at various times - dungarees and jackets.

I can echo the wonder at the lack of good kid's waterproof gear. It's right up there with the arrival of Spring and the instant appearance of teeny, light cardigans and sleeveless dresses and tops for little girls in EVERY shop. Incomprehensible. Not a jumper or long sleeved top in sight for small girls when March arrives. This is Ireland, not Spain!!

We have a one year old early riser - honestly, I feed her breakfast, then pop her on the floor and off she goes. I am not a one-man entertainment show, and I have bits of housework to do!!! She generally potters around herself, and "checks in" (read hangs out of you/shouts at you) every 20 mins or so. That gets us to the first nap at 9:30, then we're off out the door whenever possible. Thankfully though, she loves books, so they have passed many 15/20 minutes in the morning.

Try giving him the Duplo or some of his toys and just doing your bits of housework around him - I mean a bit of tidying, or washing dishes or whatever, not major stuff like hoovering etc! He'll get used to amusing himself even just for 20 mins. It's a good skill for them to learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I love this idea! What kind of waterproofs do you have for him? I was eyeing up a puddlesuit in mothercare recently but couldn't make up my mind whether to buy it or not.

He has waterproof dungarees plus jacket from Lidl but they were hand me downs from my sis so it would have been 4 or 5 years since they were bought. They can withstand some sitting on wet grass before leaving water through.

I also have a really cute suit from Blue Zoo in Debenhams but it's all style and no substance - shower proof really.

Puddleducks.ie get great reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Defo check lidl or aldi for that stuff. Or amazon.de might ship to Ireland. Debenhams had some rainproof overalls recently for around 8 quid.

But same goes for decent wellies - either insanely expensive or cheap and crap, no happy medium here (unless you stock up in lidl in every size...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Jojomamanbebe sells good waterproof too but it's expensive!

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I looked up puddleducks but thought they were a bit pricey. Lovely though.

These sets are 35.99

Which is a bit more sensible.

Also OP, for more ideas, look on pinterest. Some amazing ideas to entertain kids on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I was looking at some very cute waterproof onesies on muddypuddles.com but the postage is £12STG which is absolutely insane :eek: I ended up ordering a set of these from rainbusters that are on sale at €28.99 with free postage so fingers crossed they do the trick :)

https://www.rainbusters.ie/product-information/see-all?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=34&category_id=15

Now to find some reasonsbly priced wellies!

I was looking at some very cute waterproof onesies on muddypuddles.com but the postage is £12STG which is absolutely insane :eek: I ended up ordering a set of these from rainbusters that are on sale at €28.99 with free postage so fingers crossed they do the trick :)

https://www.rainbusters.ie/product-information/see-all?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=34&category_id=15

Now to find some reasonsbly priced wellies!

M&S wellies, 12.50 last weekend :-)

bp wrote: »
    M&S wellies, 12.50 last weekend :-)

€6 Heatons last weekend :cool:

John Mason wrote: »
    €6 Heatons last weekend :cool:

Darn!

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Dunnes - about €7 I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Can I ask - has anyone ever considered keeping the early risers in bed a bit later? Groclock, or alarm clock with minute numbers taped over and explaining that there has to be a "7" in the display before it's time to get up?

I'm wrecked from being up at 6 every morning, and although ours is still young, I'm giving it serious consideration for the future...

Advertisement