Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaped Ultra??

Options
  • 25-07-2015 8:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Hi, was considering getting one of these for my little guy who will be 3 in November. Don't really know anything about them at all tbh. I would want it more for educational purposes than watching movies or games etc. There is a pink one on sale in argos for €75. while the green one is coming in at €177. Not sure if either of those prices is a mistake but I think they usually come in around the €130 mark.

Anyway basically if this is a good deal I'll get one. Does anyone have any experiences with these? Would you recommend them? Did your little ones enjoy them? Did you find the games educational? And do you think it is a good buy for €75?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I'm not a massive fan of those types of products. At three I think they benefit more from play and some sort of structured preschool setting for a few hours a week. What educational benefits are you looking for? I think reading with them, getting out and exploring different things in museums, zoo, etc. is just as good as gadgets.
    I say this as someone who always had a computer in the house as a kid, from the mid 80s as my dad was into them. We were shown a few basics on it but in the same way as television the time spent on it was limited. They'll spend enough time in front of screens in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I have one for my 4 year old and an older smaller leap pad 2 for my 2 year old ( both basically the same only older one is smaller so easier to hold)
    pros: some good educational games, eg maths, types of clouds, phonics , etc...
    - very durable
    - good battery life
    - cheap to buy ( I got the leap pad 2 in Argos on sale at €55)
    Cons- games are boring, no colour, much slower and more limited than iPad apps
    - games are very expensive €12 plus
    - takes a lot if time to set up software , account etc on your PC

Of you have a tablet or old phone I would reccommend getting childproof cover and use that instead, much better range of apps and cheaper to buy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

lazygal wrote: »
    I'm not a massive fan of those types of products. At three I think they benefit more from play and some sort of structured preschool setting for a few hours a week. What educational benefits are you looking for? I think reading with them, getting out and exploring different things in museums, zoo, etc. is just as good as gadgets.
    I say this as someone who always had a computer in the house as a kid, from the mid 80s as my dad was into them. We were shown a few basics on it but in the same way as television the time spent on it was limited. They'll spend enough time in front of screens in the future.

Tbh I never liked the idea of a tablet. We do all you mention already :). T was never even allowed 10min of TV until he turned 2. But the past 6 months he gets very annoyed sitting in pram for say 30min while I get groceries etc in. So thought this might keep him entertained during this time. I can't let him out while I do the shopping as I also have a double buggy with a 1 year old to look after also so it sometimes proves difficult. Usually they are fine. Just exploring different options really. He already has a great variety of play and education in his daily routine. Just thought this might be better than for example a cartoon while I need to get things done that may take 30min or whatever. Basically to use while I'm otherwise occupied if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Could they help with grocery shopping? As in could you carry this bag of porridge for me etc?

my two years old got an old yoyo....lots of entertainment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I remember watching an episode of Supernanny where the womans little boy was an absolute tyrant in the supermarket. So Supernanny got him a toy trolley and gave him a list with pictures of fruit and veg and things like that on it that he had to pick up. It absolutely transformed his behaviour.

My own fella is only 18 months and hates grocery shopping too so I bought him a trolley and supermarket set in Argos to play with at home and it has made him a little more tolerant of being in the trolley in Dunnes :) Even if you couldn't let your boy out of the buggy, do you think that maybe giving him a list with pictures of the groceries you need might help? That way, he could keep an eye out for the things and point them out to you when he sees them :)

• Advertisement

bp wrote: »
    Could they help with grocery shopping? As in could you carry this bag of porridge for me etc?

my two years old got an old yoyo....lots of entertainment!

He would take the porridge and run off with it or open it and put it over the floor. And I wouldn't be able to catch him with a bag of shopping, a buggy and a 1 year old :). Lol.

I remember watching an episode of Supernanny where the womans little boy was an absolute tyrant in the supermarket. So Supernanny got him a toy trolley and gave him a list with pictures of fruit and veg and things like that on it that he had to pick up. It absolutely transformed his behaviour.

My own fella is only 18 months and hates grocery shopping too so I bought him a trolley and supermarket set in Argos to play with at home and it has made him a little more tolerant of being in the trolley in Dunnes :) Even if you couldn't let your boy out of the buggy, do you think that maybe giving him a list with pictures of the groceries you need might help? That way, he could keep an eye out for the things and point them out to you when he sees them :)

Good idea :).

Looking for something to keep him occupied at other times too tho. Like sometimes I just need to get the dinner on in a hurry and prep it etc. don't always have the time to include him and I don't want him sat in front of the TV if u know what I mean? We usually do loads with him. It's just the odd time I need 20-30min to get stuff sorted etc and I don't want to give him cartoons. Just thought this might be a little more interactive etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Sligo1 wrote: »
    He would take the porridge and run off with it or open it and put it over the floor. And I wouldn't be able to catch him with a bag of shopping, a buggy and a 1 year old :). Lol.

:-) fair point!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Ya I have one for C: it keeps her occupied during S's doc appts. And gives me an extra bit of sleep on a Sat morn! Tbh I haven't bought a game for it yet and we have it since Christmas: she draws pictures on it, and there's a little pet on it that she plays with: theres a few inbuilt games on it one where they have to pick the numbers out of letters before washing their pet which is helping her recognise numbers. It's extremely durable and there's a decent battery life on it. You can buy books and music for it too.

Con wise it's not as responsive as Id like (you use a stylus and I'm used to an iPhone) but I guess that's a trade off with the durability. Also you can't use your credit card to buy games: you have to buy a leap card with credit on it to download apps. You can buy them in Smyths though. The games are all around the €20 mark.

Overall I do like it for her. Although the difference between the pink and green price is a bit ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭sm213

Saw in bargain alert thread that the prices are an error on Argos part. Think they have both colours in Smyth's for around 77/79. It may be a better one. Wasn't paying much attention but as I noticed it was in both infant and toddler bargains and bargain alerts it stuck in my head :).

• Advertisement

Yea it was me who posted it! Lol. :). I've decided not to get it I think. As it seems the €177 was actually a misprice so doesn't seem much of a bargain after all. I'm a sucker for a bargain so would've prob bought it and given it to him in 6 months or so if I thought I was getting it 100 quid cheaper. But going to hold off for now :). I'm not particularly looking for a tablet anyway... Just thought Id get it as I thought it might be an ok option to keep him entertained :).

Thanks for all the replies!! :) x

Advertisement