Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic CCTV System

Options
  • 25-07-2015 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm looking for recommendations on an 8 camera cctv system. 6 of the cameras will be external and 2 are for internal use.
    The external can be on motion sensors but the internal will need to show an image all the time.

There a cat 6 cables ran to each camera location and back to a central point in the attic.

Most of the external cameras are approx 6m off the ground.

I'm looking for a decent quality picture with the facility to record for 14-30 days onto a HD, cameras will need to record at night as well. I'd also like to be notified via an app or email if someone was detected. Internet connection is currently poor but hoping that'll be improved shortly.

There are 60w led motion sensor security lights installed above the camera locations which I'm told should help with the night time recording.

Thanks in advance for an suggestions

Hex

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Whats the site perimeter like in terms of horizontal distance from the camera locations.
    6m up on a small site is really going to be top of the head shots.
    IR triggers, like used on elec gates, are sometimes used to send the emails and a foto.

Especially for night time you will need good quality kit.
    The Cat 6 may limit your selection
    I went with coax

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Large site 30m plus in most directions. How does the cat 6 limit the selection. I could also run out a coax to each location still have a box left.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ei0675

hexosan wrote: »
    Hi

I'm looking for recommendations on an 8 camera cctv system. 6 of the cameras will be external and 2 are for internal use.
    The external can be on motion sensors but the internal will need to show an image all the time.

There a cat 6 cables ran to each camera location and back to a central point in the attic.

Most of the external cameras are approx 6m off the ground.

I'm looking for a decent quality picture with the facility to record for 14-30 days onto a HD, cameras will need to record at night as well. I'd also like to be notified via an app or email if someone was detected. Internet connection is currently poor but hoping that'll be improved shortly.

There are 60w led motion sensor security lights installed above the camera locations which I'm told should help with the night time recording.

Thanks in advance for an suggestions

Hex

You could opt for TVI cameras, excellent image quality in day or night with 30-40m ir. Though the fact you have security lights over each point will greatly help.

There is little difference in picture quality when ran over rg59 or cat5/6 just when running on cat5/6 there is a special Tvi balun used.

Mounting at 6m, out to 30m I would use a 2.8-12mm lens option. 8 cameras recording at 8fps at best quality (Tvi/Hd) on 1tb set to motion detection will give you more than 30days required.

Any idea of the approx cost of the cameras or DVR

ei0675 wrote: »
    You could opt for TVI cameras, excellent image quality in day or night with 30-40m ir.
    If the IR is good out at 30m, unless the camera is designed for it, the IR will give "whiteout" close in.

Though the fact you have security lights over each point will greatly help.
    he says they are 60 W LEDS what matters is the lumens at whatever range he wants pickup, so he needs to go out there with a light meter and establish the numbers.
    There is little difference in picture quality when ran over rg59 or cat5/6 just when running on cat5/6 there is a special Tvi balun used.
    It depends how the setup is wired, those baluns are not cheap and 2 may be required per camera
    Mounting at 6m, out to 30m I would use a 2.8-12mm lens option. 8 cameras recording at 8fps at best quality (Tvi/Hd) on 1tb set to motion detection will give you more than 30days required.

He will only be able to focus properly at one spot, especially at night, so again it depends on what he wants to achieve quality wise

• Advertisement

Any idea of the approx cost of the cameras or DVR

Are you in the trade??

No

This is a snapshot from mobile app of a Tvi camera. Remember this is off mobile on 3g and not actual recording quality which is far better I think I have a night shot too ill look for it.
    https://flic.kr/p/wv9ubz

Update; I don't have night shot but I'll get one and post it.

As for price approx 110 a camera and I'll have to get price for recorder.

The quality looks really good.

ei0675 wrote: »
    This is a snapshot from mobile app of a Tvi camera. Remember this is off mobile on 3g and not actual recording quality which is far better I think I have a night shot too ill look for it.
    https://flic.kr/p/wv9ubz

Update; I don't have night shot but I'll get one and post it.

As for price approx 110 a camera and I'll have to get price for recorder.

Nice foto, whats the spec on the camera?

• Advertisement

Nice foto, whats the spec on the camera?

Don't have full specs but it's a 2.2mp Tvi dome 2.8-120mm lens ip66 30m ir

Sorry for delay in uploading night shots but here is some I just grabbed;
    https://flic.kr/p/vF4T1t
    https://flic.kr/p/wBWDvD
    https://flic.kr/p/wkrD7k

As I've stated before these are screen shots from mobile app over 3g so recorded images far better.

Got the following quote off an installer just wondering what people's thoughts are on the price & spec. Is there anything I should be looking to change.

Camera System

Supply and fit eight no. 700 tvl cameras c/w 3.6-12mm lens and I/R

1 no. 8 channel dvr c/w 1 Terabyte hard drive

1 17" tft monitor

To supply and fit system €1,300

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I'd be looking for HD gear. We don't install anything else these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

+1 for HD. Shouldn't cost too much more to upgrade all the gear he quoted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Got the following quote off an installer just wondering what people's thoughts are on the price & spec. Is there anything I should be looking to change.

Camera System

Supply and fit eight no. 700 tvl cameras c/w 3.6-12mm lens and I/R

1 no. 8 channel dvr c/w 1 Terabyte hard drive

1 17" tft monitor

To supply and fit system €1,300

You are wasting your money with analogue cameras. They don't offer the resolution required to pick out number plates at a reasonable distance unless they are zoomed to the hilt with a very narrow field of view.

I wouldn't agree with the advice dissing the Cat 6 cable you've installed either. Cat 6 is good up to 100m and you can run power over it as well. I would only consider TVI in systems that are going to be upgraded and where it would be prohibitive to install a proper networked solution. IP technology is the future.

The beauty of IP technology is that is scalable and can be married existing technology found lying around the house. The old PC gathering dust might not be fast enough to play the latest games but stick a copy of Blue Iris on it and you now have converted it to a NVR. Even if you don't have one of these you can pick up NVR's on ebay that will record up to 5mp cameras from £60. Granted they are no name brands, but they function perfectly well.

If I were you, they system I'd design would be:
    8 port PoE switch £100
    4No generic 720p cameras with 15m IR ;35ea £140 (ebay)
    2No Hikvision 3mp cameras with 30m IR ;80ea £160 (ebay)
    Cat 6 Terminations, testing equipment, assorted sundries £20
    Generic NVR with remote access for 9No 5MP Camera £60
    1TB storage drive £60
    Signage £10
    Total £540/€760

I'm sure there will be people who will say that the ebay stuff is junk, but I've found it to be perfectly adequate and has all the functions you could need, if you can live without fancy interfaces.

Advertisement