Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Food for old dog

• 25-07-2015 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭

At the moment I have Poppy and Misty on Lukullus Beef and Trout dry food. But my question is that Poppy is approaching 15 soon and was wondering if this food is okay for an elderly dog. She is still very active but just wanted to know what others feed their elderly dogs. If I was to change my price range is 45 euro

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Alot of the senior foods simply reduce the meat, increase cereals to get protein levels and fat down.

Yet foods like Orijen, totw, etc dont go that far. They say higher protein and fats are OK.

If your older dog is not overweight and is doing well I wouldn't change. You could always reduce the kibble if needed.

A joint supplement might help.

As a reference Barking Heads Golden Years is a good senior food - it has glucosamine, etc added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

We never changed food as he got older. He was on the same food all his life up to a few days before he died age 15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I changed my old boy to home-cooked when he got to around that age. His digestion/system wasnt coping well with the dry food. He never really enjoyed dry food anyway, it was time for some TLC! Rice/chicken/veg boiled, with some potato/beef/veg for a bit of variety. He LOVED his food, so he was very happy on the home cooked. The brown rice/chicken were gentle on his stomach. added a bit of coconut oil too - for skin/bowel/digestion. He lived happily for a few more years, til his liver failed last year :(

Advertisement