Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get rid of bamboo?

Options
  • 25-07-2015 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, presume this is the right thread to post in - if not then would the OP's mind moving it, thanks.

We planted bamboo in our back garden just over 10 years ago, and the time has come to get rid of it. We cut it all out of it and cut right down to the ground. It grew up again (as we were expecting) but we were told if we cut it to the butt again and spray the likes of Gallup or Roundup on it then it should stop it from growing. Im just back in from the garden and this is what it looks like now -

IMG_3115_zpsarhdkixi.jpg

IMG_3117_zpsib9pbmto.jpg

Any comments or suggestions on how to get rid of this would be greatly appreciated. We want to put a flowerbed into it and cant with the bamboo growing up in it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think you possibly got it the wrong way round. Spray with systemic weedkiller, leave for a couple of weeks, then cut it down/dig it up. Wait till new shoots come up and spray them, rinse and repeat (well not the rinse bit). You will have to get rid of the dead rootmass before anything else can be planted there.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

looksee wrote: »
    I think you possibly got it the wrong way round. Spray with systemic weedkiller, leave for a couple of weeks, then cut it down/dig it up. Wait till new shoots come up and spray them, rinse and repeat (well not the rinse bit). You will have to get rid of the dead rootmass before anything else can be planted there.

Ah yes I see, I'll give that a go tomorrow.

Would the likes of Gallup / Roundup be okay for it?

Thanks for the advice!

For a systemic weedkiller to work it needs to be actually growing, producing leaves and shoots. Wait until there is some growth before trying again.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

This is gonna be a really difficult job OP. Hopefully i am wrong on your situation but bamboo is very difficult to get rid of once its established. You gotta be patient and make sure you get it all out. Maybe the roundup will do it as far as killing it goes but digging out that root mass might be a nightmare.

I dug out a root mass for a bamboo, about 1m across, and it came out surprisingly easily - there was a lot of root but it was not very deep. I do however now have baby bamboos coming up which will have to be dealt with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

I have bamboo here and my neighbour said that digging out was best way... That is my bank holiday weekend... On sprays I would mix grazon and Gallup, m&s 3 to 1 ... Gallup at 3.

Advertisement