Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fleadh 2015

Options
  • 25-07-2015 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have a friend coming over from Spain for a few days and I am trying to come up with things to do.
    We are both 18 and she wants to experience "irish traditions"
    Any suggestions on what to do??
    Bear in mind some days we may not get to Sligo due to transport difficulties and that any activities don't cost much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Its the Fleadh, you just need to be in the town, that's all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Moll9676 wrote: »
    we may not get to Sligo due to transport difficulties and that any activities don't cost much

Where are you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

You wouldn't think the Fleadh was starting on Sunday week if you walk around Sligo today. Remember last year there was bunting and banners flooding the streets months beforehand, this year not a dickie bird. Is it because we know we're not going to get it in 2016 that there is less hype?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Moll9676 wrote: »
    I have a friend coming over from Spain for a few days and I am trying to come up with things to do.
    We are both 18 and she wants to experience "irish traditions"
    Any suggestions on what to do??
    Bear in mind some days we may not get to Sligo due to transport difficulties and that any activities don't cost much

It would be handy to know what area of the county you're in as different towns/areas vary quite a bit in what's available. Can't imagine getting into town to be too difficult as the organisers last year planned it quite well with free shuttle buses from villages, campsites and parking areas into town, while blocking off the town centre.
    Plazaman wrote: »
    You wouldn't think the Fleadh was starting on Sunday week if you walk around Sligo today. Remember last year there was bunting and banners flooding the streets months beforehand, this year not a dickie bird. Is it because we know we're not going to get it in 2016 that there is less hype?

I've noticed quite a lot of premises have tidied themselves up with new paint. Foleys pub being one of the nicest jobs! I've seen a few posters up on the way in to town but nothing in the town itelf. There was a shop in town putting up Fleadh stickers on their window yesterday while I was in. I'd imagine they're holding off last year because of the crappy weather we had for the Fleadh last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Plazaman wrote: »

I'd say the wet and windy weather lately has a lot to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I look forward to a warm welcome when I venture up to this next weekend. The last Fleadh I was at was the Derry one two years ago and if this is half as good I should be in for a good un.

Best pub for a "cure" of a Sunday afternoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

The Fleadh sounds like a great plan.

The main festivities will be taking place over the weekend (14th to 16th) and you can wander around, listen to music on the streets or in pubs and generally enjoy the buzz. Sligo's a grand sized town so if you get public transport there you should have no problem walking around the different venues.

Certain events and the competitions that are held will be ticketed, but honestly unless you have a real interest in the music or in a particular instrument I'd say there's no need to pay in as there will be plenty of sessions and whatnot happening around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jonathan mark

well loved boney m so looking fwd to the fleadh:)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

I look forward to a warm welcome when I venture up to this next weekend. The last Fleadh I was at was the Derry one two years ago and if this is half as good I should be in for a good un.

Best pub for a "cure" of a Sunday afternoon?

I do my curing in Connollys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I do my curing in Connollys.

Did Connollys not shut its doors recently, I thought I seen an news item about its closure.

Edit: Found it http://oceanfm.ie/one-of-sligos-oldest-pubs-shuts-its-doors/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Only until the new lessee took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Can anyone who speaks Gaelic explain the pronounciation of "fleadh" to me? My girlfriend works in the town and as we were driving I saw a sign and said "oh look there is a trad music festival called fleadh (I pronounced it like fleeeeeaaah) and she said they pronounce it "fla".

Do Irish people pronounce it like "fla"? I cant work out how it would sound like that considering the spelling of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Iompair

Can anyone who speaks Gaelic explain the pronounciation of "fleadh" to me? My girlfriend works in the town and as we were driving I saw a sign and said "oh look there is a trad music festival called fleadh (I pronounced it like fleeeeeaaah) and she said they pronounce it "fla".

Do Irish people pronounce it like "fla"? I cant work out how it would sound like that considering the spelling of it.

Your girlfriend is correct

So how is it that its pronounced like that? Those letters would appear to be pronounced like fleeah.

I noticed a lot of people also pronounce Tiocfaidh ar la as chucky ar la. I have questioned so many people about how tiocfaidh produces a "ch" sound but everyone just says "thats how its pronounced" without any proper explanation. Are there other examples of the letters tioc having a "chu" sound?

I should probably take this to a language section of boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

So how is it that its pronounced like that? Those letters would appear to be pronounced like fleeah.

I noticed a lot of people also pronounce Tiocfaidh ar la as chucky ar la. I have questioned so many people about how tiocfaidh produces a "ch" sound but everyone just says "thats how its pronounced" without any proper explanation. Are there other examples of the letters tioc having a "chu" sound?

Its just the Irish language. Fleadh is pronounced Fla, because the dh is silent (almost) and in terms of tiocfaidh, again there's a silent dh and also a silent f.

This also varies by county too, as each one will have their own version of it.

For example, asking how you are in one place might be "Conas atá tú" , whereas in another it might be "Cad é mar atá sibh"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

You are using English pronunciation conventions when they don't apply to Irish. Why would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

El Weirdo wrote: »
    You are using English pronunciation conventions when they don't apply to Irish. Why would they?

Precisely, the way a letter in pronounced in one language, would be pronounced differently in another language.

Anyway, getting back to the Fleadh, anyone recommend any good pubs for sessions this evening or tonight. Have heard there has been good ones in Furreys, Foleys, and McGarrigles so far this week, and woukd rather go straight into a couple rather than go searching around them all to find the good few ones.

El Weirdo wrote: »

Im actually from a Scottish island so speak a little Scots Gaelic. Its really strange with all the silent letters isnt it. Anyway thanks very much for that.

As has been said, back to the fla! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

Fleadh Tv was good tonight, looks good for the weekend if your not out or in Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

was out last night, town buzzing, it really came to life after dark, the likes of the lane at shoots jammed, I was over on 5th and the Quakers were excellent, Stayed for about half of Rackhouse and if you haven't seen them they are a class act, there is a silent disco out the back which is great crack.
    Cant wait to get in again over the weekend, I think Sat and Sunday will be jammed.

where can i find out who playing tonight Saturday?

oh and what time do you need to be their to be assured of getting into the st Stephens car park where the stage is last time it was full up..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Looking for a lift from Galway to the fleadh this afternoon or evening if anyone can help out, will chip in for fuel costs and the craic.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Looking for a lift from Galway to the fleadh this afternoon or evening if anyone can help out, will chip in for fuel costs and the craic.
    Thumb it. If you have your bodhrán and a sign for Sligo, you might be more likely to get someone else heading up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

where can i find out who playing tonight Saturday?

http://sligomusicians.com/

http://www.fleadhcheoil.ie/fleadh-events/today/

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Did anybody else notice the massively reduced amount of stalls around the town this year? I was talking to a few of the people running them last year and heard they were fleeced, something along the lines of €1k/day at the weekend. From what I recall it was the same crowd that organises the ploughing championship. My favourite one from last year didn't even come this year- selling corndogs :(

Most of the hot food was just frozen economy stuff. I never saw any food of real quality despite the awesome equipment used to cook on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Did anybody else notice the massively reduced amount of stalls around the town this year? I was talking to a few of the people running them last year and heard they were fleeced, something along the lines of €1k/day at the weekend. From what I recall it was the same crowd that organises the ploughing championship. My favourite one from last year didn't even come this year- selling corndogs :(

I know the guy who runs the corn dog business, he was at The Big Grill in Dublin this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Seen a nice thing to end the day. An older lady with special needs was buying some things at a stall. The guy was very helpful and then he said quietly "They are free to you, its a gift from me".

Advertisement