Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warning signs for you dogs?

• 25-07-2015 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/boy-in-dog-attack-described-as-a-scene-from-jaws-awarded-65k-31402284.html
    It was claimed there was an alleged failure to give the boy any or any adequate warning of the fact that there was danger in the area.
    There were no warning signs to identify there was a danger and Mr Murray allegedly failed to properly control a dog kept on his premises.

Just saw this on FB. €65k awarded to a kid who put his hand through a fence to retrieve a tennis ball and got bitten by an akita. Do people have warning signs if they have dogs? I don't but given the claim culture we live in now I'm wondering if I should put something on the gate for the odd time the dogs are out the front say if I'm at the car?

I'm sure I read (possibly here) that having a sign up implying (if that's the right word) that the dog is dangerous and you're at fault?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

tk123 wrote: »
    I'm sure I read (possibly here) that having a sign up implying (if that's the right word) that the dog is dangerous and you're at fault?

I thought the same! You just can't win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I have to admit the thought of a warning sign never would enter my head but then my dogs wouldn't be able to get near someone unless they somehow find their way into my back garden which is unlikely.

I'd never keep my dogs in the front garden because they may be aggressive and while a sign is helpful to some people its not much use when you are talking about a little kid who might wander along and decide they want to see the doggy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I thought the same! You just can't win!

Second story this week - the poor traumatised parents(!) in this one..
    eviltwin wrote: »
    I'd never keep my dogs in the front garden because they may be aggressive and while a sign is helpful to some people its not much use when you are talking about a little kid who might wander along and decide they want to see the doggy.

Same here - they're only out the front with me if I'm getting something from the car or putting something in the bin. My mum would have them out with her if she was gardening but ties the gate closed to be safe - they'll stand up on the gate for a pet if one of their favourites is passing and Lucy has almost opened the gate a few times! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

I have a 'caution dogs running free' sign on the gate. I'd worry one of mine would make the wrong decision if unattended so the gate is wired on the inside to 5' (also keeps the chooks in :-) ) and the lock is high up outside of a child's reach. They're never out if we're not home so it's paranoia on my part really.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

tk123 wrote: »

I've heard this many times before, but I've not heard it ever being used against an owner in court... what I have heard quite a few times now, again from court reports, is the owner being penalised for not having a sign up saying there are dogs on the premises.
    For pet dogs (as opposed to registered guard dogs, whose owners must display a warning sign), I wouldn't have a warning sign that suggested the dog(s) is aggressive, just that they exist.. so to me, something along the lines of what Hadook has seems to be just about right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Dogs running loose is a sensible wording. Beware of the dog etc are an admission the dog may be dangerous (there is precident for this in the uk.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

hadook wrote:
    I have a 'caution dogs running free' sign on the gate. I'd worry one of mine would make the wrong decision if unattended so the gate is wired on the inside to 5' (also keeps the chooks in :-) ) and the lock is high up outside of a child's reach. They're never out if we're not home so it's paranoia on my part really.

I have the same sign, also have dogs at the back behind locked gates that a child couldn't reach. And they're only outside if we're home.....wait, are you my husband hadook?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭keaves

Saw this yesterday tk and thought the exact same. So I'm after ordering a 'caution dogs running free' sign ... nearly ordered 2 or 3 thinking well what if someone doesn't see the first sign could I that be held against me if something happened :confused::o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    I have the same sign, also have dogs at the back behind locked gates that a child couldn't reach. And they're only outside if we're home.....wait, are you my husband hadook?!

On the internet I could be anyone (or thing!) :D

Glad to know I'm not the only paranoid dog owner out there though!

Advertisement