Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VWP and Entering via Canada

Options
  • 25-07-2015 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

I am planning on trip over to Seattle to visit a friend and I would like to go to Vancouver seeing that I am over there.

I will probably take the bus or train when crossing the border and I was wondering do I still need a to complete the VWP or will I get issued at the border?

Also if I was to get a return trip from Seattle and go up to Seattle for a few days can I re-enter using the same VWP?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

It's only 14 quid, would you not do it anyway?

Check but other people on here have said in the past you don't need to do it for land travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

not1but4 wrote: »
    I am planning on trip over to Seattle to visit a friend and I would like to go to Vancouver seeing that I am over there.

I will probably take the bus or train when crossing the border and I was wondering do I still need a to complete the VWP or will I get issued at the border?

If you mean that you will fly to Canada first and intend to go from there by land to Seattle, you do not need an ESTA...

I am a citizen of a VWP country and am visiting the U.S. from Canada or Mexico?

If you are coming by land, you do not need to have ESTA authorization, however, you should return your green I-94W card upon departure.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1094/~/do-i-need-to-apply-for-esta
    not1but4 wrote: »
    Also if I was to get a return trip from Seattle and go up to Seattle for a few days can I re-enter using the same VWP?

Did you mean to ask 'if I was to get a return trip from Seattle and go up to Canada for a few days...... ' If so, then yes, the VWP will apply to both halves of your visit to the US and you will need ESTA approval.

The 90 day permit you get when you enter the US under the VWP allows you to visit Canada, Mexico and the 'adjacent islands' (essentially the Caribbean) and return to the US still under the original 90 day permit. Note that the 90 day clock does not stop running while you are out of the US.

Advertisement