Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland to USA - what will work?

Options
  • 25-07-2015 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I am moving to America soon and was wondering if there is any way I can get some of my electrical stuff - Televisions, sewing machine, drill, sander, to work there? I can rewire lamps when I get there but what could I do to use the other stuff - what should I get - I hate having to replace all this stuff when I get there, I had to do that 8 years ago when I moved to Ireland! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

You need to examine the labels on everything carefully, some will adapt automatically, some you may need to adjust a small switch. Others you won't be able to use at all (well not any cheaper than buying a new appliance)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 careernanny

What do I need to look for? What would I see that would show the items will work with an adapter or a converter? Thanks a million for your help

One like this

http://i.imgur.com/uVIIT.jpg

Would at the very least require a transformer, but sometimes even a transformer isn't adequate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

The input voltage should read 110V to 240V, 50-60Hz.

Some devices may read less than 110V.

Anything with just the 240V will need a transformer to work. There's also a rare chance it may have issues as the frequency (Hz) in the US is higher than here.

• Advertisement

Some will have a switch like this image, almost always close to where the power goes in.

http://panam.gateway.com/s/POWER/SHARED/VOLTAGE.shtml

Thanks everyone for your advice! the tv is 220-240 the sander is the same - I am an artist and I need my power tools most of all! would a transformer work? or would it go really fast and burn out out?

Can you post exact make and model numbers?

The reality is it is usually cheaper to replace most items than get a suitable transformer etc. and you have the added cost of bringing them to America.

I have no idea what the shipping costs would be for your TV, but I doubt it would be cost effective to ship to America?

Also transformers to convert 220 to 110 are quite common here, I don't know about the availability of transformers to convert 110 to 220. No doubt some suppliers make them, but if not very common the prices will be higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Thanks everyone for your advice! the tv is 220-240 the sander is the same - I am an artist and I need my power tools most of all! would a transformer work? or would it go really fast and burn out out?

Any mains powered items that you typically would not bring with you on holidays or business trips will be 220V only and will not work in the US without a transformer. Most transformers are bulky and may not be readily available in the US.

Realistically, the appliances you're talking about will be cheaper in the US than here so taking the combination of the cost of shipping them out and the cost of a transformer to convert the voltage, you'd be far better off leaving them behind and buying new models over there.

Great advice here! I was trying to not replace the tools, sewing machine more than anything! I ruined a lot of them when I brought them back from the US 8 years ago and just used adaptors - the tv etc isn't really a concern but would be nice to be able to bring them! I will try and get some photos up of the important stuff and get advice from you guys! thanks again!

• Advertisement

I think you need a higher post count to add photos, but make and model numbers would help just as much usually

Well the sander is a Skil 7003 230-240V 50-60 hz 145w - the TV is Sony Bravia KDL - 32BX400 220-240V 50Hz 94w the sewing machine is Lidl Lervia KH4000 230V 50Hz motor 70w lamp 15w total 85w none of them are very expensive but I am used to the tools and they work well for me!

It appears that they are common in the U.S.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pyle-meters-PVTC120U-Pyle-meters-PVTC120U-Step-Up-and-Step-Down-Voltage-Converter-Transformer-with-USB-Charging-Port/36254873?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=36254873&placement_id=irs-2-m2&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=3a7fb4cc-4061-496d-b58e-59e4f5780d58&customer_id_enc&config_id=2&parent_item_id=36246769&parent_anchor_item_id=36246769&guid=7b3b6487-9a13-4112-9627-a947a5757b32&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n#about

Make sure whatever converter you get is bigger than the appliance you intend using. And if you use the appliance continuously I'd suggest even going up to about twice the appliances rating.

Your sander should work ok with a converter (should....I'm only guessing that it uses a universal motor).

Your sewing machine may run faster with a converter but it probably has a speed control anyway.

I'm less certain about your TV, some people say the electronics would be unaffected by the frequency, but it is a risk. Also shipping the TV is both expensive and risky as they are relatively fragile. You should look into the cost of a new TV in America first.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sound-Around-Pyle-PVTC300U-300W-Step-Up-Down-Voltage-Converter-Transformer/36241828?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=36241828&placement_id=irs-2-m2&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=4282db5a-a1d7-46a0-904b-fa7147157195&customer_id_enc&config_id=2&parent_item_id=36254873&parent_anchor_item_id=36254873&guid=7eb7c83b-a85e-49fc-a2b9-aa3bfe52262e&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n#about

Most American houses have a two phase supply 220v if you know where to look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The only things that will work are likely to be IT equipment like mobile phones, laptops and desktop computers.

Check the voltage label on the items or their power supplies. If they say something like 100 to 240V 50 to 60Hz or just mention. 120 & 230V or something similar, they'll work anywhere.

Just change the plug or replace the mains lead with American one.

Major appliances like washing machines, dishwashers, fridges, cookers etc and small appliances for household stuff like mixers, blenders, vacuum cleaners etc do not work on US power and can't be adapted easily.

If you've some appliance you're very attached to, using it with a transformer might be an option but anything drawing a high load or being used constantly isn't really economic.

Also bear in mind that a 15 amp US socket maxes out at 1500W where as an Irish socket can deliver 3000W.

High wattage appliances sold here do not generally exist over there and require special sockets where they do : things like air conditioners use these.

Televisions also do not work with US broadcast signals but, you might be able to use them connected to a U.S. cable or satellite box via a hdmi cable.

Few, if any, televisions sold in Europe will work on 110V-120V 60Hz though.

Lamps and lights can easily be adapted with new bulb holders if you've any expensive chandeliers or collectables.

Landline phones and modems all work but European DECT cordless phones may operate on frequencies that aren't licenced in the U.S. and could get you into trouble with the FCC if they cause interference with someone else's licenced gear.

In summary : other than computer equipment, very few other items are likely to work.

Power tools : be careful!

Tools sold in Ireland and Britain for use with 110V site transformers aren't intended for American 110V

Site transformers here have two lives. They send 55V + 55V out of phase so the difference between the two wires is 110V but the difference to earth is 55V

This means if you cut a cable, you get less high voltage risk.

In the U.S. it's just 110v and 0V neutral.

The bigger risk is that the 60Hz frequency may drive an induction motor faster than intended. That can result in issues with controllability with some equipment or may cause early failure.

If I were you I'd sell the gear and but new stuff over there.

Thanks a million for all your help - I think I will sell what I can and buy again when I get there - I really appreciate all your advice - I still have an American Ryobi drill and a dremmel tool so they will be fine to use - they came back with me 8 years ago!

Basically, just bring what you think is economically justifiable to risk trying on their electricity really.

I wouldn't bother with most of it, especially things like televisions which are just fragile and would basically be a computer monitor with the wrong voltage inputs options over there as they can't "see" any of the signals.

Advertisement