Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending Sails to UK from Rep. of Ireland

• 25-07-2015 10:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm trying to find out the most economic way to send a suit of sails over to the UK, either folded carefully in a box, or else rolled on a tube.

Would anyone know of the best method, i.e. Courier / An Post, etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I had a problem getting a fully battened catamaran sail from the UK a few years ago. The length was the problem, so folding might be the best method.
    If they are dacron, or similar they can be folded. Mylar would have to be rolled.
    Jim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

gonzo1 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm trying to find out the most economic way to send a suit of sails over to the UK, either folded carefully in a box, or else rolled on a tube.

Would anyone know of the best method, i.e. Courier / An Post, etc.

Thanks
    Where are they going to? What size sails (or what size boat)? By "most economic" I'm assuming you mean cheapest?

Most economic way would be on a boat that's going where you want the sails to go, if that's at all possible.

Suppose that also depends on how urgent the delivery is as well.

If they're any sort of size it's going to be expensive by post/courier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭gonzo1

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Where are they going to? What size sails (or what size boat)? By "most economic" I'm assuming you mean cheapest?

Most economic way would be on a boat that's going where you want the sails to go, if that's at all possible.

Suppose that also depends on how urgent the delivery is as well.

If they're any sort of size it's going to be expensive by post/courier.

I want to send to an address in the Midlands in England. Sails are off a sailing dinghy, I've taken the battens out and folded carefully, so probably a box weighing less than 10kg.

I see parcel motel can send a parcel to the UK for 16.50 euros.

Has anyone used this service before? I've only used Parcel Motel to receive parcels in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I bought a new main for a 20 foot mast and shipping from the UK cost me £70.

Advertisement