Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual display problem

Options
  • 25-07-2015 11:25pm

As per title, was working fine up until today.

Main screen is new and is ok, 2nd one 10 year old BenQ one powers on but all of a sudden went black. Nothing on screen by pressing menu buttons on it etc. reboot did nothing , both connected to a newish nvidia card. Have a feeling it'd for scrap now.

Typical only mounted them on a new Duronic stand the other day :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Luckily monitors are pretty cheap these days.

Should add though monitor #2 comes out of sleep along with #1 if i move the mouse but still black :confused:

IE: Power light changes from orange to green.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Are you any good with a soldering iron? And by any good, I mean can you use one to the most basic standards.

Open the monitor up and have a look at all the capacitors on it, see if any are bulging or burst. If they are, get an iron out and desolder them, replace with new ones of the same specs.

Probably a long shot, I fixed a dead TV like this when I was about 15, first soldering job I had ever done. It's still running three years later.

The monitor should use philips screws, its a fairly easy procedure, and you've nothing to lose at the end of the day. Individual capacitors should only be a few cents each.

Are you any good with a soldering iron? And by any good, I mean can you use one to the most basic standards.

Open the monitor up and have a look at all the capacitors on it, see if any are bulging or burst. If they are, get an iron out and desolder them, replace with new ones of the same specs.

Probably a long shot, I fixed a dead TV like this when I was about 15, first soldering job I had ever done. It's still running three years later.

The monitor should use philips screws, its a fairly easy procedure, and you've nothing to lose at the end of the day. Individual capacitors should only be a few cents each.

I'll get the tools out in the morning and take a look. just to add and maybe not related at all but only just noticed all my desktop shortcuts and icons are gone now that I look. totally blank desktop bar the wallpaper :confused:

Oh now this is interesting right clicking the desktop with it's missing icons etc. and picking new for a test file or shortcut etc. does nothing :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

My guess is there is nothing wrong with the monitor its just that the graphics properties have changed for some reason.

What happens if you set the working screen as primary display? Does your desktop appear back with all your shortcuts?

My guess is there is nothing wrong with the monitor its just that the graphics properties have changed for some reason.

What happens if you set the working screen as primary display? Does your desktop appear back with all your shortcuts?

Yes tried that when I got up this morning , that restored the shortcuts.

Going to test it with a laptop later and see if it works on that.

Edit: Update - looks like it's toast , tested it on a laptop. Opened it as suggested Digital Solitude and no obvious signs on the capacitors have another here to tide me over until I get a replacement. The old one was a 4:3 19 inch and the one I swapped in is a 21 inch 16:9 which is a little wide and big to use comfortably

Advertisement