Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fer de Lance and walking the dog in Martinique

• 26-07-2015 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I appreciate this sounds like a very random question, since this is boards.ie and there are no snakes on this island but I'm wondering if anybody might by chance have experience living on Martinique, a beautiful and sunny island full of Fer de Lance snakes or have experience keeping a dog in a snakey country. Experience of Martinique would be ideal as they might not be as common as say in Australia.

These are highly venomous and will kill a human if not treated with anti-venom. It's an invasive snake, purported to have been introduced to scare slaves into staying on plantations. However, my question is this, dogs like to run around and go into long grass to go to the toilet and so on, so keeping a dog on such an island, how do people manage without their dear pet being bitten? Do people walk their dogs on the lead everywhere? I'm asking this as there is a possibility I might live on the island one day with my dog.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You could contact the woman behind this site and ask her:
    http://www.kreolischerhund.de/RSPMartinique.en.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

I've never been to Martinique but lived in Australia for years and our dogs never had a problem with snakes or spiders. Snakes were certainly around at certain times of the year but they generally sense you coming and disappear before you get near - you see them now and then of course but they usually move incredibly quickly. I can't actually recall hearing first hand of a dog, cat, horse or cow being bitten although they do go for chickens (and eggs) so I believe some farmers still have 'snake dogs'. Some breeds are more likely to try to chase them - the same way some dogs like to chase rats or rabbits so if they did corner one they might end up getting bitten otherwise I think they would be extremely unlucky.

Advertisement