Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ed Sheeran is just so nice...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I agree with the second point, and I'm glad you have completely changed your position from your first post and now agree......

????????

Initially you thought one had to know his music to assess his image and branding...
    amdublin wrote: »
    You don't even know his music...and are mad that everyone is lapping up his niceness on social media.

You now accept that they are very distinct issues.
    Ed sheeran selling records and being nice are two streams running alongside each other.

I don't have to buy one of his records to comment on the social media campaign.

So your point is (his music aside) you don't like the way he's nice and this is being mentioned in the media?

So your point is (his music aside) you don't like the way he's nice and this is being mentioned in the media?

No no, I don't know if he's nice or not. I don't care. I can't say he is not nice, I never met the guy. I am interested in the way it matters to so many who spread the "Ed was nice" stories, how his image is packaged and controlled and how well his handlers manipulate social media. I have never heard a fan of classical music ponder about whether Beethoven was nice, I have never heard a fan of minimal techno assess Ricardo Villalobos in that way.

As this article suggests, it's one of the key branding points they slot into interviews. It's the message that's constantly pressed.

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/624-the-problem-with-ed-sheeran-and-nice-guys-like-him/

Well my opinion is. He's a nice guy. Some stories about him being nice have got out/been sent out.

I'm ok with that.

I like nice guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Honestly, Conor, your observation is one that at best deserves a shoulder shrug or acknowledgment that it might or might not be apparent in Sheeran or other pop stars but it's so banal and hardly worthy of the trenchant debating and defence of a non-argument you seem to be enthusing about here. It's a bit strange. It's like you went all out for the sake of an argument. Do you have no real people to discuss this with? I'm almost blushing at the fact that you've prompted this response:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

....... Just why do people lap this up without question?

he did a free show one time before he hit it big and because so many people showed up he did 2 extra nights FOR FREE so that no one would miss out.....

He is a nice guy. A normal down to earth guy who is very talented. He started his own label and had his first signing on a major tour with him.

He puts up with Taylor Swift ffs!!! The man's a saint........

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He does appear to be a civil enough spud.

Seen him interviewed a few times, comes across as nice.
    Read a few stories about him turning up for fans weddings or parties etc. Again a nice thing to do.

Read a few things about him doing work for charity. Again nice to do.

Overall, if I was a betting man, I'd say he's probably a decent enough fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

From another thread here...

Now he could be nice, he may not be nice.

I've had dealings with him several times at several events. He does a lot of charity and fundraising things in the area. Always came across as nice, mannerly and civil. He takes his time to get to know everyone. I have genuinely no idea where the sleazy accusation comes from, unless they were referencing the pisstake songs.
    Again, this is precisely the issue I am raising, your need to make some assessment of me, our need to ascribe some personality to the person to deal with them, their music, their post on an anonymous forum.

In fairness, someone who complains about people being nice come across as bitter. Or worse, people who complain about people who prefer people who are nice. If I had kids, I would much much prefer Ed Sheeran as a role model than Miley Cyrus or the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

I have never heard a fan of minimal techno assess Ricardo Villalobos in that way.

It's something you always hear said about Carl Cox, whether by his fellow DJs or people within the media. I don't think Cox has a team of handlers manipulating his persona. Some people are just... nice. :)

But I've no doubt there's a team of PR gurus behind Team Sheeran.

By the way, I once met Villalobos at Sonar. He looked like he was feeling nice. Very nice indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

No no, I don't know if he's nice or not. I don't care. I can't say he is not nice, I never met the guy. I am interested in the way it matters to so many who spread the "Ed was nice" stories, how his image is packaged and controlled and how well his handlers manipulate social media. I have never heard a fan of classical music ponder about whether Beethoven was nice, I have never heard a fan of minimal techno assess Ricardo Villalobos in that way.

As this article suggests, it's one of the key branding points they slot into interviews. It's the message that's constantly pressed.

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/624-the-problem-with-ed-sheeran-and-nice-guys-like-him/

That article compares ed duller than dishwater sheeran with dinosaur Jr?
    It's all about marketing and nothing to do with talent. Those whingey plinky plonky singer songwriter types are a penny a dozen. Sheeran just got lucky as did David gray a few years back. In a couple more, he'll be gone and forgotten about with his back catalogue of banality buried in the past (bar infrequent spins on easy listening gold shows).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

I have never ever pondered on whether Beethoven or Kraftwerk were nice guys and liked kids and toy shows. Never.

What a ridiculous post!!!

If they were alive and making music you liked you're saying that would be enough for you? You wouldn't like to know something about them? Where they were from, what they were like when they were younger, the things that may have informed their music and thus giving you a deeper understanding of said music?

Honestly, Conor, your observation is one that at best deserves a shoulder shrug or acknowledgment that it might or might not be apparent in Sheeran or other pop stars but it's so banal and hardly worthy of the trenchant debating and defence of a non-argument you seem to be enthusing about here. It's a bit strange. It's like you went all out for the sake of an argument. Do you have no real people to discuss this with? I'm almost blushing at the fact that you've prompted this response:)

Your third post, and it's a third one about me.

And in a thread that you say only deserves "a shoulder shrug".

Psssst, if you want to pretend you are indifferent, don't (i) keep posting (ii) about me!

NIMAN wrote: »
    Read a few things about him doing work for charity. Again nice to do.

Overall, if I was a betting man, I'd say he's probably a decent enough fella.

He could be. I don't know the man at all.

I note you say you read about his charity work. I fully expect you did.

nc19 wrote: »

If they were alive and making music you liked you're saying that would be enough for you? You wouldn't like to know something about them? Where they were from, what they were like when they were younger, the things that may have informed their music and thus giving you a deeper understanding of said music?

Zero interest in reading about how nice members of Kraftwerk are (they are alive!). It's is their music I like, not choreographed visits to sick kids. That's not to say I'd have no interest in their backgrounds, but not an assessment of their personality based on them handing a cheque to charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Ging Ging

Has anybody baked him a cake with a jumper in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Not a fan of his music, but I think he seems pretty genuine, he was raised in Suffolk and years and years ago, the local TV station did an piece about him, this was long before he got signed, and he was pretty much as he is now. Obviously the record company loves this side of him and it probably helps his image, but I'm still inclined to believe what you see is what you get with Sheeran. Promotion of a negative image is often just as attractive for record companies anyway, Sex Pistols weren't famous for their cuddlyness or their musical prowess, Billy Idol was a manufactured "bad boy", Maddona is still flogging the dead horse of supposed sexy/edgyness.

I think Taylor Swift would be a better case to discuss manipulation of media to portray her as everyone's friend, who loves her fans and has always been the hard done by one. Not a week goes by where she isn't photographed with the current new big thing (Sheeran was one of those, but you also had Haim, Ellie Goulding, Lorde etc etc), those nasty women Poehler and Fey were terrible to her, shes the only "feminist" allowed to have a voice. Those nasty actors who went out with her were always the villian.

I think her and her advisors have the game sewn up, she is queen manipulator and would struggle to see where the spin starts and ends. I blame Kanye West, once he invaded the stage for her award speech a little light bulb went off over her head about media portrayal and so it began! Now, I'm off to the CT forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Your posts are the epitome of my point.

You think Sheeran is nice, Morrissey a "twisted had been" on the basis of their image, their personality...the marketing side.

I have never ever pondered on whether Beethoven or Kraftwerk were nice guys and liked kids and toy shows. Never. They made good music, that's the issue that mattered to me. Why would I even care about their personality? So I am puzzled by this apparent need to determine if someone is nice or not, and impressed at the way Sheeran has manipulated it.
    nc19 wrote: »

Let me guess. You thought Kraftwerk was a dead composer?

data-laughing.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Your third post, and it's a third one about me.

And in a thread that you say only deserves "a shoulder shrug".

Psssst, if you want to pretend you are indifferent, don't (i) keep posting (ii) about me!

Yeah, it should deserve that, in a normal conversation, but your justification and incessant arguing for arguing sake is risible so it is directed at you. Who else should I direct it at?:)

My comments are headed your way because I'm highlighting the silliness of your thread/rationale and you just aren't backing down on anything or at least conceding to other posters that have posted some bit of sense.

I don't think there's any point continuing arguing essentially nothing here. You can multi-quote and extract the bits you want now til your heart's content.

I think Taylor Swift would be a better case to discuss manipulation of media to portray her as everyone's friend, who loves her fans and has always been the hard done by one. Not a week goes by where she isn't photographed with the current new big thing (Sheeran was one of those, but you also had Haim, Ellie Goulding, Lorde etc etc), those nasty women Poehler and Fey were terrible to her, shes the only "feminist" allowed to have a voice. Those nasty actors who went out with her were always the villian.

Re Sheeran and Swift, I can't say who is manipulating who, I presume it's a mutually beneficial friendship that both sides are exploiting. In fact as he was her support act on a US tour 2 years ago and is now headlining there, I'd say he did very well for himself out if it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I think it was last year I heard a radio interview with Ed Sheeran when I was on a long car journey. I'm not one for listening to radio interviews - I tend to switch to another station for some music. But I ended up listening to it and found it very interesting as I didn't know much about him. He spoke about moving away from home at a young age, sleeping on friends sofas, doing gigs and barely earning a living. Admitting to having used drugs. He chatted so freely, he came across as a lad you'd like to have a pint and a chin wag with. So even though he mentioned struggling and drink and drugs, he still came across as a decent and honest guy. I think he is more of a decent, genuine person rather than "nice". I think nice means squeaky clean, boy band and that I don't think he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Having met few celebs in the past through my then job, in my experience most of them are simply quite pleasant normal folks.

I've never met Ed Sheeran, but I would suspect that he's quite a nice pleasant chap who enjoys interacting with his fans in real life and via social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Your posts are the epitome of my point.

You think Sheeran is nice, Morrissey a "twisted had been" on the basis of their image, their personality...the marketing side.

I have never ever pondered on whether Beethoven or Kraftwerk were nice guys and liked kids and toy shows. Never. They made good music, that's the issue that mattered to me. Why would I even care about their personality? So I am puzzled by this apparent need to determine if someone is nice or not, and impressed at the way Sheeran has manipulated it.

Personally I just couldn't stomach lining the pockets of someone who is an @sshole by buying their albums. It doesn't have anything to do with marketing.

I went to a Badly Drawn Boy gig years ago and the guy was a complete d!ck - cursed repeatedly at the crowd, smashed his guitar, stormed off stage twice and then to top it all off tried to throw his piano stool at a girl in the crowd!! Completely bizarre behavior!

I was given the ticket as a gift and although I really enjoyed and knew a lot of his songs I have never ever bought an album of his as a result of his behavior.

The world could do with a little more niceness so I say fair play to Ed Sheeran for not being a complete nob.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I'd say Ed has no willy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

The essence of this thread:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sean_b97

like his music or not he comes across as a genuinely nice guy

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sean_b97

from my point of view anyway..,..

Dolbert wrote: »
    The essence of this thread:

Point gone spectacularly over your head, it's actually the opposite, everyone pointing at Ed and saying "I don't know you but you're lovely" because they need to buy into the image.

Do you think it is possible he could just be astute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Point gone spectacularly over your head, it's actually the opposite, everyone pointing at Ed and saying "I don't know you but you're lovely" because they need to buy into the image.

Do you think it is possible he could just be astute?

I couldn't give a shiny shíte about him or how nice he is(n't). I do know that you seem way too angry about this. Be honest, did Ed Sheeran kill your puppy or something?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Folks, play nice.

Advertisement