Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chest waders

Options
  • 26-07-2015 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

I'm new so go easy on me, I'm researching buying Chest waders and am totally confused, looking to spend under €250. I do both boat and river fishing , anyone have a good experience of a product in that money range, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

I got a pair of daiwa chest waders at one of the expos in Dublin for 100€ last year! I wouldn't be spending 250 or anything like it on waders!

I got a pair of daiwa chest waders at one of the expos in Dublin for 100€ last year! I wouldn't be spending 250 or anything like it on waders!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

I'd second the Daiwa neoprene chest waders. No point in spending big money on something that isn't going to last you forever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

The neoprene ones can be good but in summer they will sweat you badly. Good for keeping warm when piking though.

If you want a set of breathable ones I have found the scierra cc3 ones very good. In stocking feet.

You should be able to get a set for 150-200

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

I went through about 4 pairs last season I do alot of rock fishing and have been known to have an encounter with barb wire

Also I just throw them in the car afterwards I just have no respect for them really ha ha

I would recommend vaas heavy pvc if you will treat them the same as me, cheap as chips and still doing the job for me since March this year

• Advertisement

Bio Mech wrote: »
    The neoprene ones can be good but in summer they will sweat you badly. Good for keeping warm when piking though.

If you want a set of breathable ones I have found the scierra cc3 ones very good. In stocking feet.

You should be able to get a set for 150-200

I just throw on a pair of shorts under them if it's summer, no sweaty nether region!

They cost a bit more and do the same job plus you've the added cost of boots then too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I bought Snowbee 300D chest waders a few months back. Very happy with them. They are marketed as being tough as nails and proving to be so far. Retail for about €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 AnglingMad

It helps to describe what type of fishing you are doing as other have mentioned Neoprene and PVC but in general for game fishing I have used breathables for 15 years now and the best budget ones I have found are from Vision one of the oldest makers and Airflo. Sizing is key as you dont wnat them to small yet equally not to big as excess material will rub and chafe against itself and create a failure. Wading Boots are also an important consideration and you would be wise to choose a type that will allow studs to be added as some are just to thin to allow it and you will need them at some point. Please also do not go wading with out a staff they are essential for testing depths and for snags that catch you feet, steadying and getting back out of the water up steep banks, etc. Proper after care hanging them to dry and not creasing them will extend their life considerably and salt water will ruin the breath-ability if not washed off. hope this helps and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I hate seeing people in waders on boats - chest waders anyway - F*cking lethal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 AnglingMad

I would not recommend it but accept some cannot afford to get 2 sets on gear so it makes sense to them. In addition most these days have a waste belt which should always be done up properly. I am lucky enough to have both.

What is much more important though is the lack of use of a proper life jacket! by those with "Proper" waterproofs and wellies or those with waders!

• Advertisement

ardinn wrote: »
    I hate seeing people in waders on boats - chest waders anyway - F*cking lethal!!

I'd NEVER use my chest waders when out in a boat! Common sense prevailsprevails, if the water can't get in it can't get out so if I go over board while wearing them I know I'm either goin to the bottom or loosing the waders!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

A good use for an old leaky pair of breathables is cut the neoprene sock parts off and then wear them with wellies for your boat fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Green Peter

It's the breathable waders I am looking for and its mainly fly fishing and dapping, I would be vary of them in the boat and can see the risk alright but I see more and more using them and they all seem to swear by them , thanks for the replies

Why do you think its lethal? The "they drag you down" thing is just an urban myth really. They can make it difficult to get back in the boat if they fill but they are far from lethal really

gumbo1 wrote: »
    I'd NEVER use my chest waders when out in a boat! Common sense prevailsprevails, if the water can't get in it can't get out so if I go over board while wearing them I know I'm either goin to the bottom or loosing the waders!!

Why would waders filled with water take you to the bottom when you are already surrounded by water? The water inside the waders has the same density as the water outside.

The stocking feet ones are actually slightly buoyant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I've been in the water numerous times in chest waders. Neoprene or breathable, doesn't really matter, they are all actually buoyant.
    Yes a lot of water gets in and it would be difficult to get back in the boat but that would also be the case with any clothes.
    The waders actually trap a lot of air inside and if you lie on your back and bring up your knees you will be quite manoeuvrable.

Why would waders filled with water take you to the bottom when you are already surrounded by water? The water inside the waders has the same density as the water outside.

The stocking feet ones are actually slightly buoyant.

Tell ya what, i'll give ya a lend of my waders an you can test your theory. Until then ill err on the side of caution and self preservation!

Tell ya what, i'll give ya a lend of my waders an you can test your theory. Until then ill err on the side of caution and self preservation!

I have already tested it as has bogwoppit above. Its not really theory anyway its basic physics. But of course do what you feel comfortable with and err how you see fit. Not saying you cannot drown in waders, of course you can, but they actually make little difference either way and they don't drag you down.

Main thing is to wear a life vest and if you go over don't panic.

Why do you think its lethal? The "they drag you down" thing is just an urban myth really. They can make it difficult to get back in the boat if they fill but they are far from lethal really

Tell that to a mate of mine we buried in 2010

My genuine sympathies. But I still stick to my point above. I also know someone from our club who drowned out in a boat.
    You could blame the heavy absorbent clothes he was wearing but really it was down to the lack of a life jacket.

• Advertisement

True - but i dont think it would have helped - my other friend on the boat had a hold of him and had to let go becasue he was being pulled so hard - that is what has it in my head that if water gets in you are gone - he said it was a force he could not deal with, and let go of his best friend!

Just to clarify aside from the basic principle I have tested in a pool with waders and clothes, just clothes and just swimming trunks. Hardest to stay afloat with just the shorts, easiest with the waders They seemed to trap air.

Anyway to get back on topic. Op I would look for a pair of scierras. Have had a few over the years and get a goo few teat from each. The older ones get recycled for rock fishing and are hanging in their.

True - but i dont think it would have helped - my other friend on the boat had a hold of him and had to let go becasue he was being pulled so hard - that is what has it in my head that if water gets in you are gone - he said it was a force he could not deal with, and let go of his best friend!

Must have been an awful experience for all concerned and must have been devastating for the guy in the boat.

Horrible. Anyway sorry for de-railing - my point was be careful!

Sorry for your loss ardinn.

Waders are not neutrally buoyant, the wellies/boots moulded to the leg are heavy and would sink with water in them therefore I belive they would drag the wearer down.

Always wear a life jacket or personal floatation device when out in a boat, no matter how comfortable you are or how big the boat is!

Waders are not neutrally buoyant, the wellies/boots moulded to the leg are heavy and would sink with water in them therefore I belive they would drag the wearer down.

Always wear a life jacket or personal floatation device when out in a boat, no matter how comfortable you are or how big the boat is!

But you could say that about normal boots, thigh waders, shoes etc too. They are heavy and don't float. Would they drag you down? Trousers sink when saturated, jumpers too. The waders also wouldn't fully fill with water as they are already full with the person wearing them so there is no significant volume of buoyancy in there that can be displaced by water either really. But anyway I agree you should believe whatever makes you feel comfortable out on the water. I will still be wearing my waders personally.

The second part of your post is the key bit anyway for sure.

My last off topic contribution.

I've been unfortunate enough to be washed from rocks and landed into several feet of water (above my head). That day the waders helped keep me afloat. It was when I was trying to climb back out that I had problems. I had to unhook the straps and pull them down past my knees in order to get out. Scary enough.

Anyway. Breathable waders WILL eventually leak. All brands. I've been using breathables from Greys, Simms and Patagonia. All will leak. I wash down waders regularly and always keep them hanging when not in use. Neoprene I find too warm and sweaty....and stinky!!

At the minute I'm using Patagonia Skeena waders. Quite good, expensive, but have kept me dry all year.
    Be sure to try on waders as a proper fitting pair is essential, as outlined already above.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

The best waders I ever wore are Vass, they're cool enough in the summer too.

Advertisement