Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 Fruit and Vegetables

Options
  • 26-07-2015 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭

Its been a poor year so far for myself. Everything has been so late. Weather hasn't helped. Wet and cold in Leitrim. The lack of sun has really hit my garden hard. French beans are just flowering along with the runner beans.
    Heads of broccoli are smaller than normal. 2nd early spuds still haven't flowered.

Cauliflowers and Cabbage are good. Onions and garlic are not to bad.

My blackcurrant bushes have matured nicely. Plenty of fruit for jams and cordials and home made wine. Strawberries were very disappointing.

Tomatoes and Cucumber in the poly tunnel are a wee bit late as well.

How are others finding this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Grindley

Very disappointing too. I put in more (first earlies) seed potatoes than I harvested. My cauliflowers went brown. My runner beans still only have a few flowers on them and my tomato plants have only a few green tomatoes on them etc etc. My only successful harvest so far has been chives (and they're not much fun). Maybe I will get some satisfaction with my late autumn/early winter vege. My sarpo mira potatoes are blooming and my sprout/kale hybrid plants are looking healthy. Very different from last year. G

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hiujn

yep very poor this year potatoe wise strawberries are doing well in fairness onions ok runner beans are still growing it was a late plant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Sounds very similar to my situation - most things seem to be late and/or small. Runner beans were late, potatoes were minimal. Over winter garlic & onions did well though. Courgettes seem to be a few weeks late. We have a couple of pumpkins which seem to be ahead of last years size.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

My first early potatoes (Home Guard) never flowered at all and are still all pretty much in the ground producing baby potatoes. They got frost bitten at the end of April mind.
    Only a couple of the second earlies (Maris Peer) flowered but haven't had a furtle for potatoes there yet.
    My runner beans still haven't even germinated lol.
    All the rocket bolted.
    All my Brussels sprouts were eaten by something.
    Courgettes are doing well.
    Broad beans are doing very well.
    Peas and mange touts were very disappointing.
    Cherry tomatoes in the greenhouse have only just started fruiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

fairly poor, Cabbage and beetroot have been good and the spuds plants look good they started flowering about two weeks ago, but the rest has been slow enough only a few peas so far, beans only flowering now. nothing bad really just slow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

All my Veg, are Greenhouse and this year is a lot slower than last due to the cold spring, and total lack of a summer.

At the moment Tomatoes are progressing, have a good looking crop, so hoping they will ripen soon

Peas and Broad beans were fantastic, lovely crop, all picked, bagged and frozen in june/early july, have the plants cleared away now, and moved some late planted Toms into the space.

Cucumbers started fruiting about 4 weeks ago, and so far about 20 picked from 3 plants.

First planting of Gerkins all failed, so put some new plants in, 4 weeks ago, they have taken off in the last week, so hopeful there.

Tried a couple of Aubergines this year, planted in April, they just sat there doing nothing, then 3 weeks ago, one gave up, and the other took off, no fruit on it yet but looking good.

So not a great year, compared to last, but looking good on the Tomatoe, Gerkin, Cucumber, for a fruitful August/September.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

Same here my cucumbers, tomatoes and chilies are a lot slower compared to last summer.
    I only started harvesting them last week.
    Let's hope August will be better...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Poor year here as well. If I get a good tomato crop I'll be happy. Lots of green fruit. I was looking back on photos from last year and I had a great crop in September so there's time yet. Mine are all outside too.

The slugs are monsters this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Considering the year we have had I have had reasonably good results. Planted two ridges of York and one Hispi cabbage which have all grown well. I beat the white butterfly and the snails this year by putting hoops of qualplex used in plumbing over the ridges and covering with a very fine net, this kept both out. Onions, beetroot, lettuce, leeks, turnips, spinach and rhubarb grew great. Carrots and parsnip not so well, had to set the carrots the second time, they are ok now but well behind, had to start the parsnip indoors in individual pots and then transfer outside eventually got them going and they seem ok now. Spuds, didn't lift any yet as I only put in Kerrs Pink they have flowered about three weeks ago so hoping for a good crop. Plenty blackcurrants which need to be picked soon before the blackbirds start treating themselves, likewise with the apples, nice crop coming.

At this stage it's not only the coolness, but the unrelenting breeze that is having an impact. I suspect I will have a very poor runner bean harvest this year. I have them staked but the wind has to be taking its toll on the plants. :( G

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

Hi on slightly different note, would there be anyone in Galway/Mayo area that has fruit bushes especially blackcurrant and not using them, I would love some to make jam and I would share some with you, thanks,

I wouldn't like to need to depend on what I grew to help get me through the winter. I got some tomatoes (most will end up on my window sill ripering); all my beans failed and my early/main potatoes didn't happen. I do have Sarpo Mira potatoes and a brussel sprout/kale hybrid still to harvest, but generally the year has been a disappointing one. What about yourselves????

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Yeah my onions and garlic were the only success.
    My potatoes got blight and could only harvest half the broad beans as the plants got chocolate spot.
    Squash didn't even germinate!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

Generally bad year
    beans squash wheat potatoes onions sweet pepper all failed

. Cherry Tom's quinoa linseed apples lettuce Tom's peas chilli rhubarb, Aztec broccoli was very good.

Advertisement