Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neutering and spaying pets

• 26-07-2015 4:05pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So as a responsible owner I've always got my pets neutered as the right thing to do. But having this article that's gone viral, about a cat in shock after it realised it had been neutered, I'm just wondering if it is the right thing after all.

What are people's thoughts are on it? Are we just anthropomorphising the cat's reaction as to what a human might feel in the same circumstances for the sake of humour (though I don't think the viral is altogether that funny myself). Or do cats and other animals really have a similar sense of loss to being neutered that a human would? Is it a form of cruelty? Will, in decades to come, neutering be seen in a similar vein as tail docking or ear cropping is now seen? Or is it categorically in a different category of medical neccesity altogether?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I doubt very much that the cat was bewildered at the loss of his testicles, but was probably reacting to either pain or feeling differently in that area due to stitches. Cats in particular should be routinely neutered as they are let roam to procreate as they wish, not only adding to the unwanted cat and kitten population but also adding to feral colonies, that left unchecked will affect bird and wildlife populations. Intact Toms are well known for fighting too, not to mention transmitting diseases.

As for dogs, there's plenty of research available as to how early neutering can effect the dogs health, particularly growth issues in large or giant breed male dogs, who really shouldn't be neutered until they're at least 2 yrs old. Neutering of nervous dogs also can also make them even more nervous as it's thought the testosterone can boost their confidence slightly. That said there are some behaviours such as marking, inter male aggression and excessive humping that can be curbed slightly if a dog is neutered, but it's very much based on the individual personalities of dogs. I know plenty of intact dogs that never hump, or fight with others and don't mark particularly excessively but I know lots of dogs who do, there's a spaniel that comes to mind who excessively humps every other dog he interacts with - male, female, neutered or intact - and drives them mad. His owners have been in disagreement about getting him snipped, she wants it done, he doesn't want to take his "manhood" away, even though one day he'll hump the wrong dog and get a nasty bite for his efforts!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sorry but he does not note that they are gone; as borderline says he may note some pain / stitches but that would be it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Nody wrote: »
    Sorry but he does not note that they are gone; as borderline says he may note some pain / stitches but that would be it.

Yeah, that's what I reckon too, which is why I commented that we were more taking his reaction in a human context than in a cat context (anthropomorphising the reaction). But I thought it was worth discussing the possbility that there might be more to it than that, or people's general opinions on the matter.

I hope the viral doesn't put off people getting their pets neutered.

Advertisement