Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car boot sale

Options
  • 26-07-2015 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

getting rid of stuff from shed and attic am thinking of taking it to a car boot sale if I can find one in south county Dublin. I would really appreciate peoples oponions on wither C/B sales are more trouble than their worth. I've never tried selling at one before.
    Thank You.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Expect people to want to pay a lot less than you want for your items no matter how cheap you have them
    These might help

http://collectireland.com/car-boot-sales/
    http://www.mast.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

Frogally, I'm in the same boat. We are going o try the one in tallaght this Sat.
    For those who are experienced car boot sellers, do you put prices on things or just haggle with people. What's the best approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Last time I went I had a bucket full of change (€200 there abouts) as a float because they always want to break big notes with you if you have something really desirable and then go mooching around the rest of the sale. I was selling toys & a few other items from around the house we didn't need. I Made a fair whack back in the end & sold mostly everything luckily!
    I labelled some boxes of stuff, like different kinds of toys in one, and said like €2 each in this box or €5 each in another which made it easier for me to remember and they saw it clearly.
    Other larger items I just let them haggle me down for the lols!
    Don't forget to bring kids, biggest selling point is a cute kid not a chick in a bikini :-P
    Also don't expect to sell everything first time so if you've a lot to shift expect to be going to a few over the next few weekends to clear it!

And just keep reminding yourself "one mans trash is another mans treasure"
    Works both ways

That's a great bit of advice thanks. We have lots of different things from DVDs, CDs, books, clothes, games, ornaments, pictures and so on. Even if we got rid of half the stuff it'd be great.

• Advertisement

No kids to bring but am in production of two!! So bump might help sell.

I'm not 100% but I think there's one on in the Methodist church in Balinteer by Wesley College on Saturdays?

Well we went to tallaght and we couldn't even get out of the car but people were on top of us like scavengers. Eventually we got our table up and bits sorted. Lots of haggling but we came away with a tidy profit and half our stuff.
    We got good tips from a few who pointed out certain things wouldn't sell at that sale but that other ones have different clientele so would buy the stuff. We are going to try one of those soon and hope to get rid of most of the other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

What other ones will you try? I might go down to a few myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

hytrogen wrote: »
    I'm not 100% but I think there's one on in the Methodist church in Balinteer by Wesley College on Saturdays?

Next one is August 8th

http://dundrummethodist.com/?page_id=271

You need to get there early for the best spots

• Advertisement

Is there anywhere on this Sunday 9th August? Might try make both days & finally get a room free.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

homer911 wrote: »
    Next one is August 8th

http://dundrummethodist.com/?page_id=271

You need to get there early for the best spots

What time do you need to go to this one at. I tried last year at opening time but was far too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Immy wrote: »
    What time do you need to go to this one at. I tried last year at opening time but was far too late.

I've heard of the queue starting at 2 or 3am, but 5 or 6am is probably a good time.. (Yes, seriously)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I've done one in dun laoire which was great. Can't remember the name of the school.google it.e
    Gates open at 6am bit you need to be there at 5 to have any chance of a good spot once inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Note that this Sunday will see traffic disruption across much of Dublin from Dun Laoghaire in to the city and up the Liffey to Phoenix Park thanks to the Iron Man thing, so if you are going to do it on Sunday you would want to pick your market carefully.

z

homer911 wrote: »
    I've heard of the queue starting at 2 or 3am, but 5 or 6am is probably a good time.. (Yes, seriously)

Thanks, I think I'll just go to the tallaght one :)

Immy wrote: »
    Thanks, I think I'll just go to the tallaght one :)
    Me & the crack of dawn queuing do not compute.
    Where is the one in Tallaght & what time does it start?

frogalley wrote: »
    getting rid of stuff from shed and attic am thinking of taking it to a car boot sale if I can find one in south county Dublin. I would really appreciate peoples oponions on wither C/B sales are more trouble than their worth. I've never tried selling at one before.
    Thank You.
    If you're near south Circular road & have some old antiques, there's a trader near islandbridge. Look up Macs warehouse. I was recently recommended them, even just to get a price idea if you do want to sell them yourself on ebay or a cbs?
    Or else, again not sure if they'll take from household, but I keep looking up Irish Liquidators near the Mad cow roundabout?

hytrogen wrote: »
    Me & the crack of dawn queuing do not compute.
    Where is the one in Tallaght & what time does it start?

It's in the football stadium, I did it a few times last year with baby clothes and did ok. I never have a problem getting a spot and just arrive at opening time.

Advertisement