Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If I'm not home, should the letting agent let electrician in?

Options
  • 26-07-2015 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Im renting at the moment and there are so many things going wrong in the house... Boiler broke, fridge broke, washing machine etc so they're always sending someone out to fix things.
    How and ever, the tradesmen will tell me they will be there at 12 and not come 'til 2 and I just can't afford to get out of work that long to let them in.
    Should the letting agent let them in if I'm not at home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Dunford

Lunaarli wrote: »
    Im renting at the moment and there are so many things going wrong in the house... Boiler broke, fridge broke, washing machine etc so they're always sending someone out to fix things.
    How and ever, the tradesmen will tell me they will be there at 12 and not come 'til 2 and I just can't afford to get out of work that long to let them in.
    Should the letting agent let them in if I'm not at home?

I would never have done this....no way. arrange a time that suits you after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Unless outside-of-your-work hours suits both parties, then the letting agent or LL should be doing it, it's what they're paid for. Only owners should be taking time out of work themselves to deal with tradespeople.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

Ya, it's a real inconvenience to get home during the day and my boss isn't impressed at all.. there have been a few times where I've had to go home twice during a day!

I will ask them if they can give the guy a key..

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

I rent myself and the letting agent lets the tradespeople in, never had a any problems by doing this. The letting agent would seek my permission first prior to doing this, but similarly to yourself I'm busy during the day and cant be taking time off work for this type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

My letting agent usually asks my permission to give them a key. Haven't had any problems yet.

• Advertisement

I've hidden a key outside for the electrician the last time or two he has had to call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I've hidden a key outside for the electrician the last time or two he has had to call.

And if the key gets into the wrong hands and your home is burgled?

athtrasna wrote: »
    And if the key gets into the wrong hands and your home is burgled?

There is a very small chance of it happening no doubt but both my LL and the electrician suggested it and it suited me as I didn't have to come home from Work during the day so I took the chance.

Also it's a houeshare and anything of value to me is in my bedroom which I locked.

Advertisement