Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OSI 1:25000 Wicklow maps.

Options
  • 26-07-2015 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭

I just bought the new OSI 1:25000 map for Wicklow south (the East-West maps does not give full coverage for this region). It's okay - a big improvement on OSI previous attempts at 1:25000 (I still remember their appalling attempt at a 1:25000 map for killarney and the 1:25000 wicklow way guidebook). I've not seen the two other wicklow maps in this series but if they are anything like this one, then east-west mapping wont be losing any sleep (or Harveys for that matter).

Anyone else have these maps and what do they think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

My two cents :) They're pretty much as what appears on the OSI 1:50,000 Discovery maps with a few extra datasets thrown in - the field boundaries from the larger scale maps would be the most useful of these. Land classification from a Geological Survey of Ireland database I'd guess etc etc. Signposted trails, national park and summit info from various other datasets.

Sometimes people query why EastWest Mapping and Harvey maps are at 1:30,000 in Wicklow. Here you see the reason why - it's standard B1 paper and the width of the hills will not fit at 1:25,000 on a single side. In the case of these maps, the split is north to south right down the middle of the range - so the Wicklow Central map switches from one side to the other around Wicklow Gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've seen one briefly and I'm not overly impressed TBH, and I'm certainly not going to go out and buy one myself. Looks like little more than a blown up version of the latest 1:50k with all of their faults, and no additional information apart from the addition of areas marked as 'scree' when they are in fact more like rock / boulder fields.

Advertisement