Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRTB

Options
  • 26-07-2015 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi guys,

I logged complain with PRTB against my landlord, he claims he want to sell the apartment and want me out in 2 months but couple weeks before that he asked to increase the rent even when contact is not up till February.

Do you know how long will take the PRTB to open the case? Or how long does it take to these type cases to be resolved?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Ive heard it can take 6-9 months, although the delays are reducing apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

Hi guys,

I logged complain with PRTB against my landlord, he claims he want to sell the apartment and want me out in 2 months but couple weeks before that he asked to increase the rent even when contact is not up till February.

Do you know how long will take the PRTB to open the case? Or how long does it take to these type cases to be resolved?

Thanks

I was in a similar position about a year ago. The landlord wanted to up the rent by 20%, having upped it by 16% the year before. We objected to the increase, so he basically told us to get out. We told him that we were protected by section 4. and that we would not be leaving and asked again to negotiate the rent. He then manufactured some bull**** story that his daughter was going to be moving into the apartment, and tried to evict us under that pretext (which is legal if genuine). He was not genuine though, he was just trying to evict us as soon as possible so he could up the rent. We filed a complaint with the PRTB claiming illegal eviction. The case took roughly 2-3 months to get heard in the PRTB. All that time we stayed in the apartment and payed the rent that we had previously being paying.

During the PRTB case hearing, we came to an agreement so the PRTB never had to make a ruling. They did probe his story though and lots of technicalities were thrown about. We agreed to a lesser rent increase and a definite moving out date 9 months later.

Anyway, stick to your guns. But do be prepared to lose the case. And keep in mind that if he kicks you out, doesn't sell the house, and then tries to rent it out again that he must give you first refusal on it. (Read about the technicalities yourself)

Advertisement