Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 190 - Rousey v Correia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

The more I look at that the more I think it was a fix. Ref stopped it too early.

In all seriousness though I hate to say it but it's getting pretty annoying watching Rousey fight. Not that every MMA fight needs to be a brawl, it's that no one is even close to her level.

Anderson Silva had similar dominance but even during his reign there was only 1/2 fights that were very short.

Rousey is just too good. The UFC must have to spend a lot of money to build up fighters that take her on and also load cards to ensure an audience. Why would fans want to pay a small fortune for a ticket to see 30 seconds of action?

Her face literally pounded the ground after the right hand from Rousey after her whole body went limp

If that's not reason enough to stop it, what is

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

The more I look at that the more I think it was a fix. Ref stopped it too early.

Are we watching the same fight? The knee she took just beforehand did a load of damage, shes already in trouble from that and then backs away trying to recover. Ronda gives her no chance and lands a big punch, Correia crumbles like a twig and faceplants the mat. The fights over, if the ref didnt stop it Ronda just follows her to the ground and lands a load of needless punches. How you can see a fix in that I dont know??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Correia via KO/TKO

In all seriousness though I hate to say it but it's getting pretty annoying watching Rousey fight. Not that every MMA fight needs to be a brawl, it's that no one is even close to her level.

Anderson Silva had similar dominance but even during his reign there was only 1/2 fights that were very short.

Rousey is just too good. The UFC must have to spend a lot of money to build up fighters that take her on and also load cards to ensure an audience. Why would fans want to pay a small fortune for a ticket to see 30 seconds of action?

This post is all sorts of strange.

So the ref should have let the fight go on is actually what you're saying?

What you mean similar dominance as Anderson Silva? A winning streak? Whats the time on the clock got to do with this?

What do you mean by build up fighters?

They don't need to stack the cards she's on at all far from it just look at UFC190 and then even more so UFC184 Rousey v Zingano(main card was Holm v Pennington,Ellenberger v Koscheck,Jouban v Walsh, Ferguson v Tibau)...did 600k buys!! All that after the original main event was canned (Weidman v Belfort) In comparison the PPV following that had 2 title fights on it and did half that!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Watch Beth headbutt the canvas and tell me it was a fix.

http://gfycat.com/SardonicConcernedHuman
    Her face literally pounded the ground after the right hand from Rousey after her whole body went limp

If that's not reason enough to stop it, what is
    Axwell wrote: »
    Are we watching the same fight? The knee she took just beforehand did a load of damage, shes already in trouble from that and then backs away trying to recover. Ronda gives her no chance and lands a big punch, Correia crumbles like a twig and faceplants the mat. The fights over, if the ref didnt stop it Ronda just follows her to the ground and lands a load of needless punches. How you can see a fix in that I dont know??
    This post is all sorts of strange.

So the ref should have let the fight go on is actually what you're saying?

I'm pretty sure it was a joke

In all seriousness though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Correia via KO/TKO
    This is gold. Joe was really cringey on commentary, calling Ronda a mythical creature etc and just saying "wow" over and over again when Ronda got the finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

rousey is a great fighter, but she's made look a lot better by the utter trash she has for competition. it feels like she's the only pro fighter facing part time amateurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Rousey via Decision
    I was joking about the early stoppage and fix.
    What you mean similar dominance as Anderson Silva? A winning streak? Whats the time on the clock got to do with this?

I mean no one could get near them in terms of ability and skill. What I'm saying is, watching a fight that lasts 30 seconds and watching a fight that lasts 2/3 rounds is a completely different entertainment prospect for fans.
    What do you mean by build up fighters?

The same way they have built up every fighter that has come up against her. e.g. "She's a knockout artist, undefeated" etc... then gets knocked out inside of 35 seconds.
    They don't need to stack the cards she's on at all far from it just look at UFC190 and then even more so UFC184 Rousey v Zingano(main card was Holm v Pennington,Ellenberger v Koscheck,Jouban v Walsh, Ferguson v Tibau)...did 600k buys!! All that after the original main event was canned (Weidman v Belfort) In comparison the PPV following that had 2 title fights on it and did half that!!

The card had 2 final fights from a TV show that has been playing out for the last while and then a few legends thrown in, all brazilian. The card was built up for the brazilian audience IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,818 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Rousey via Decision
    The card was built up for the brazilian audience IMO.

Pssst...... That's cause it was in Brazil

Rousey via Decision
    Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Pssst...... That's cause it was in Brazil

I think that's my point. As awesome as Ronda is, the fringe fans aren't tuning in to see her armbar someone in 20/30 seconds. The UFC have done a great job of ensuring there is hype for her fights and there is a good card for the demographic that it's aimed at. That hype train costs a lot of money.

The question was are fans going to pay to see her fight without a stacked card and tons of hype? She's too good and has cleaned out the division. Could people start to lose interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Rousey via Decision
    JJayoo wrote: »
    Right on the ear, very similar to the punch Conor dropped Poirier with.

I agree. Textbook fight fix punch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Mellor wrote: »
    I agree. Textbook fight fix punch

For **** sake please be joking. I agree with a lot of your posts but this is nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 40 MMATycoon

Correia via KO/TKO
    The same way they have built up every fighter that has come up against her. e.g. "She's a knockout artist, undefeated" etc... then gets knocked out inside of 35 seconds.
    More fool anyone who believed she was a knockout artist, given her record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Correia via KO/TKO
    jcd5971 wrote: »
    For **** sake please be joking. I agree with a lot of your posts but this is nonsense

Mellor is famous for his sense of humour around these parts. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Mellor is famous for his sense of humour around these parts. :D

I figured as much, plus it dosent help that my smiley at end of that never showed, which made my post a bit serious rather than tounge in cheek

Rousey via Decision
    jcd5971 wrote: »

laughing_dog_duck_hunt_.gif

Correia via KO/TKO
    I was joking about the early stoppage and fix.
    What passes as comedy these days :rolleyes:
    I mean no one could get near them in terms of ability and skill. What I'm saying is, watching a fight that lasts 30 seconds and watching a fight that lasts 2/3 rounds is a completely different entertainment prospect for fans.
    Nobody knows how a fight will play out a lot of people wanna see fighters doing their utmost to win 10 secs or 25 mins who cares, sure hindsights a great thing I'd much rather see that than Silva act the Knob for 25 mins with Maia in Abu Dhabi
    The undefeated thing is a given, who said Bethe was a knockout artist? who believed that!
    The card had 2 final fights from a TV show that has been playing out for the last while and then a few legends thrown in, all brazilian. The card was built up for the brazilian audience IMO.
    Those bouts needed to find a home they were supposed to take place in the U.S. but there was complications with Visas or something, they shouldn't have taken place on the main card but they were extra fights it wasn't as if they were taking the place of other potential fights. As Dtp1979 says the event was in Brazil of course it was catered for Brazilians.
    The UFC have done a great job of ensuring there is hype for her fights and there is a good card for the demographic that it's aimed at. That hype train costs a lot of money.

The question was are fans going to pay to see her fight without a stacked card and tons of hype? She's too good and has cleaned out the division. Could people start to lose interest?
    What hype? clearly the real deal the Jon Jones/Mighty Mouse of her division. Meisha has worked her way back to her by winning 4 straight shes got there on merit shes also taken Ronda to round 3 there is nothing to build people aren't necessarily gonna think Meisha has a hope but the intrigue will be there given their history too. All Rondas fights in the UFC have made sense for the time Mighty Mouse clearly has a bigger issue in that sense.

As for Ronda needing stacked cards you've clearly ignored my last post so maybe you'll get the picture....

357314.png

Lots of people around talking about bad stuff about womens mma. I have to say Ronda Rousey is an amazing athlete and shows skill that is as good if not better than some of the male athletes and she has been fighting some kind of martial art since she was a kid. In saying that I think majority of the rest of that division looks amaturish and sloppy, Meisha also looks good but is not on Rondas level and probably never will be. Ronda has a problem cause what is she going to do? She has cleared out that division already and no one really wants to see Ronda v Meisha 3, Cyborg fight wont happen more than likely. Ronda is an amazing athlete and fighter I just dont see any female fighter on her level. I might be wrong here but didn't Betche take up mma a few years ago to stay in shape? Ronda is an animal and I think will remain undefeated largely due to there being no competition in the division. Holly Holm I was excited about but she looked bad her last two fights.

On another note Joanna champion and the 115 division in wmma looks more stacked and peaks my interest more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

Correia via KO/TKO
    Ok folks, just got back from this in Rio and read through the thread.

I was huge moral support to the organisers of UFC 1 and even at 14 years of age I helped them scout venues in Denver to host it as I could see that fighting between mismatched weighted individuals with little or no rules was the future. :pac:

This was my first live UFC event.

I got completely hooked coming up to around 1.5 yrs ago when I moved to Brazil. Nothing to do with Brazil being a huge MMA country, I had been a casual follower of it before that but over here your usual UFC Saturday night starts at 8pm and goes on until 2am.

A perfect way to spend a Saturday night avoiding mischief in public.

So me and my mate stayed in Lapa in Rio which is the Temple Bar area. The Maracanãzinho that hosts Fight Nights and has a capacity of around 11,800 is beside the Maracana, the World Cup final stadium and would be maybe 15mins away from Lapa by taxi. The last Fight Night there had an attendance of 7.700.

Unfortunately the HSBC arena, which hosts the gymnastics for the Olympics is 30 odd Km out of the city centre in a place Barra de Tijuca, which is where the Olympics will be.

It's a ball/vagina ache to get to.

UFC190_camarotes.jpg

We paid R$295-€83 for our tickets which were off 'to the side' of the octagon in section 314, 3 rows from the front.

The historic exchange rate between R$ and Euro in my mind would be 3:1 but that's shot out to 3.7:1 as of right now.

We got on and bought the 'bandwagoner special seats' :pac: as soon as they went on sale at 12pm or whatever and our choice was extremely limited.

From reading here I guess that's because the fight club/pass people get first choice and damn all are available to general public.

I saw the post someone had here from a tweet from 'front row Brian' about the hotel where the UFC were staying and I gently suggested to my companion about maybe checking it out some morning.

He didn't jump at the idea and I wasn't too enthused myself.

The weigh-ins unfortunately were also in the arena. I was hoping they would do them in some iconic hotel or something near the beach, even the hotel they were staying at would've been good but they didn't.

So instead of possibly bumping into UFC people in the hotel or seeing the weigh-in we relaxed on the beach while doing some intensive leering.

To get to the venue, and hence the Olympic venues/areas as previously mentioned is an absolute ball/vagina ache.

A metro goes from Lapa(and beyond Lapa) to the beaches at Copacabana and Ipanema and it is an excellent service, R$3.70-€1. But from what we could see there won't be a Metro bringing you out there from Lapa/Copacabana/Ipanema, there will be dedicated bus lanes which work pretty well but not as good as a metro.

You might have to change buses to get to HSBC Arena or other Olympic venues, who de fck knows. But it certainly makes it more cumbersome than a metro.

So to get there we jumped on the metro to Ipanema(R$3.70-€1) got some grub and then a taxi to the HSBC arena.

Traffic was a fckr near the venue, took exactly 1 hour and R$72 -€20.

So we got outside the venue at 8:40pm and missed the early prelims.

The venue was well run, my mate is a red head living in Sao Paulo and if he stood in front of an igloo you would just see his hair, eyes and eyebrows.

A couple of lads checking tickets came straight over asking in English if we were ok as possibly we stood out.

Even with the bad traffic there was no queue at all going into the venue, past security, ticket check etc.

I dunno if this is like all UFC venues, (I decided to pursue other interests after UFC 1 :pac:) but they had lots of things to pass the time if you got there early.

Such as taking a photo with a UFC replica belt, standing on a UFC scale and getting weighed-in, some glass displays of gloves from UFC fights etc.

But we legged it up to our seats.

Also you buy beer and drink it at your seat. A local beer for R$7-€2 for a 350ml can or to show your social status you can buy Buduriner for $8-€2.30.

You queued up a little to buy tokens for beer then very little of a queue to actually get your beer at another stand. So the beer people didn't deal with cash.

I was at a Bernard Dunne fight in the point/point nua and you couldn't take booze to your seat.

As an aside the women at the event were probably the largest number of most beautiful women I've ever seen.

We paid €83 for the cheapest seats, it then went up to R$650-€170 then on up to ballpark €250/€300 or more a seat.

If you are a Brazilian guy going to UFC you are probably doing well for yourself and you can probably feel confident enough to land yourself a stunner and buy her a ticket for UFC :)

Same as anywhere really.....

There did seem to be a few girls in together to watch it, but mainly any girls there were with their jockeys partners.

So on with the fighting!!

Atmosphere was very disappointing overall.

Our top tier section was pretty full but the sections near the octagon were near empty until towards the end. Fking rich bastrads and their enviable lives.

There was one guy up behind us very jarred and turning round to the crowd and roaring during the night but everyone was laughing.

But I need to go back and re watch the whole thing again. Might post again about it.

From what I can remember now.

Cummins fight was good, he was a mess at the end of it. Good atmosphere for Bigfoot, and probably Shogun fight was the most exciting as it see-sawed.

However the atmosphere for Ronda was absolutely electric. It was amazing.

When they first put up the promo snippet on the big screen it sounded like universal cheers for Ronda and then a mix of cheers or almost more boo-urns-ing for Bethe.

My mate and I were surprised. Also when I pointed out to my mate that we won't have any commentary from Joe Rogan etc during the night he looked at me shocked :eek:

The venue is great, we had a great view for our ticket price.

However it seems like it wasn't shown on telly but I think after the 2nd(maybe the 1st) prelim fight they introduced all the current Brazilian UFC belt holders, Aldo et al. Was this shown?

I was at the bar so just saw them sitting back down.

If you can close your eyes and use your imagination we were section 314 3 rows from the back. Joe Rogan and Goldie had their backs to us at the lower left corner of the octagon as we looked at it but we could see their telly screens.

You can see the ring walk comes from the top left of that image above.

Anyway, the reason I say this is that Aldo and the others were ringside at that left side of the Octagon reserved for UFC which doesn't have a number in the image.

Then I would reckon around ballpark the 2nd fight-ish of the 7 of the main card a scuffle broke out behind Aldo etc in the decent seats in section 23.

It wasn't an all out brawl but it distracted you from what was happening inside the octagon. :)

I didn't see any punches being thrown, it seem like a standoff, pushing/shoving and verbals. Bouncers were slowish to react and seemed to be very very slow to eject anyone.

So that died down. And then flaired ( WOO! ) up again.

Everyone looking at it, people in that vicinity standing up, taking photos, lots of scuffling, shoving but not out of hand.

Then it dies down again.

But then it flairs (WOO!) up again and more scuffling going on as before.

Then the next thing Aldo jumps out of his seat and storms back through his area of seats, hops the wall and goes right into the middle of the cuffufle in section 23.

:eek: :eek:

I can positively ID him as Jose Aldo, M'laud, as introduced as same by the MC and I saw same said gentleman hop the barrier and confront someone in a threatening manner, M'Laud.

He then went back to his seat after a minute or 2. Again seemed like no one was ejected.

Did anyone hear anything about this?

Also some Frosty-haired suited caucasian chap ran and hopped the barrier and got involved aswell. No idea who he was but he was white, with snow white hair and seemed to be sitting near Dana earlier on.

The atmosphere for the TUF finals was absolutely dead. I had actually half-watched a few of them the week before just so I would be more invested in them. Nobody in the crowd gave a monkeys.

Also all this chat from Dana etc about the Brazilian fans being passionate is boolooks. They do a lot of boo-urns-ing when it goes to the ground for a prolonged period, reminded me of Frogs at the French Open tennis. There is no singing or chanting, just occasional screams when something exciting happens.

I haven't been to UFC in Dublin, this was my first time, and even on TV or, eh, flows of water, the atmosphere seemed to be incredible there.

However as I said the atmosphere for Ronda was electric.

That fight started at 2:25am local time.

Ronda's ringwalk(octagon walk ) started from the far right instead of the far left. I haven't watched it again but we thought that the fans seemed to be trying to punch/hit her as she walked instead of patting or cheering her. Thought it was a bit off myself.

I saw her in interviews saying she loves fighting there and how the crowd boos her and everything. Although she was selling the fight at that stage.

There was no need for her to go there as a champ and she did.

By the time it started the crowd had kinda turned against her again. From the huge cheers a few hours earlier it was now almost all boos for her except interestingly all the girls near us seemed to be cheering Ronda on. Interesting. :cool:

But at least as a first time spectator the crowd were going mental.

It was incredible.

Still have to rewatch that fight but Bethe was clearly knocked out for about 1-2 seconds, game over. But they went hell for leather for it from the get go.

But Christ after it Ronda stood almost peacocking triumphantly on her tippy toes in victory, it was amazing . :p

I think it was a very satisfying victory for her.

So as Joe Rogan stepped into the Octagon, me and my mate, and several thousand others, tried to beat the rush to get a taxi for the 30km to get back into town.

We got out the venue handy as it is a new venue so the crowd gets out very easily.

We just followed everyone else as we were out in the middle of nowhere and needed a taxi. Maybe if it is was in the Macaranazinho you could almost follow the whole crowd and walk for 30 mins safely into the Lapa area.

After only between 5-10minutes walking the first taxi man who shouted he was available we chatted to, we told him Lapa and he said up front R$50-€15 each.

This was grand for us as we were expecting R$75 each, but we had to share with 2 other lads and the driver knocked the metre off.

Everyone was a winner in fairness.

My mate, who has better portuguese, was chatting to one of the lads with us. He reckoned McGregor/Mendes was a fix but also at that time had no idea what the fight in the crowd was about but was gonna check on Brazilian MMA blogs.

Ended up being a 30 min taxi ride which was grand.

So that's the craic.

Will defo rewatch the whole thing and see what else I make of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

hi7TAch.jpg

Rousey via Decision

357314.png

That was obviously down to Koscheck being on the card.

As for 'Hype', by hype I'm talking about the ufc making the other fighters she is up against appear like they have a chance. Building interest. That sort of thing. No question Rousey is untouchable and the best there is in womens MMA. What I'm asking is outside of a Cris Cyborg matchup, will fans pay to see her armbar the **** out of her opponents in less than a minute? Will they continue to do this?

• Advertisement

Rousey via Decision
    What I'm asking is outside of a Cris Cyborg matchup, will fans pay to see her armbar the **** out of her opponents in less than a minute? Will they continue to do this?

They haven'st stopped paying for it so far tbf.

Rousey via Decision
    They haven'st stopped paying for it so far tbf.

Thus far she has fought people she hasn't fought before or had some history with. Apart from Tate and a possible Cyborg match who does she fight that will draw a crowd?

Thus far she has fought people she hasn't fought before or had some history with. Apart from Tate and a possible Cyborg match who does she fight that will draw a crowd?

Does anyone want to see RRR v Tate again?

Rousey via Decision

The numbers aren't out yet, but I hazard a guess that 190 drew decent numbers. Rousey had no history with Bethe. Before this fight was made, few people knew who Bethe was. She had a couple of wins over TUF washouts. This fight sold on the back of Rousey.
    Going forward, Tate has earned another shot imo. If Amanda Nunes can beat Sarah McCann next weekend, she’ll be top 5 and the only one who hasn’t fought Rousey. Cyborg will eventually make progress towards 135, maybe a 140 fight this year and then 135 early next year.

So with typical 4 months gaps that looks like
    Tate this November or December (Melbourne or Dallas)
    Nunes in March ’16, with Cyborg on the same undercard.
    And Cyborg in July ’16...which just so happens to be UFC 200

Then once the WBW division has had a year of matches, Holy Holm or whoever else might be up there.
    Rousey selling cards isn’t an issue yet imo.

Rousey via Decision
    Does anyone want to see RRR v Tate again?
    It was the best of all RR’s UFC fights imo. I’d rather watch a fight that’s as semi-competitive rather than watch another Bethe Correia opponent tied t othe goat-post for the T-Rex.

Fun fact, Miesha Tate lasted exactly 4 minutes longer than Rousey’s 5 other UFC opponents combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Correia via KO/TKO
    I would be totally against contact sport for women without protection. It's just not natural for women to be kicking and punching the crap out of each other. Call me an old fashion bastard :)

If by "old fashioned" you mean you are a misogynist you are right. If women can go through child birth they can take a few knocks off each other.

Idea that women should be frail and dainty comes more from male insecurity regarding their own masculinity.

It was the best of all RR’s UFC fights imo. I’d rather watch a fight that’s as semi-competitive rather than watch another Bethe Correia opponent tied t othe goat-post for the T-Rex.

Fun fact, Miesha Tate lasted exactly 4 minutes longer than Rousey’s 5 other UFC opponents combined.

I don't have much of an interest in watching Ronda fight again anytime soon to be honest. It's not that I don't think she is good but its that there is no one who will give her a match. When Tate lasted longer Ronda even said she was just playing with her and wanted it to last longer. Staying up till 5am for 16 and 34 second fights is a bit much for me. I do think Zingano however you spell it would be a harder fight for Ronda than Tate, Cat wont just run in with a stupid flying knee kick again next time.

Correia via KO/TKO
    That was obviously down to Koscheck being on the card.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭crybaby

Correia via KO/TKO
    Just watching the Rousey fight for the first time and I have to say she was very sloppy with her striking, she got struck a lot of times considering the fight only lasted 34 seconds.

Great victory but it reminded me a bit of Tank Abbot being let loose, there was obviously a lot of emotion in her as it looked more like a brawl than anything else.

I can't imagine she will be fighting like that against Tate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

crybaby wrote: »
    Just watching the Rousey fight for the first time and I have to say she was very sloppy with her striking, she got struck a lot of times considering the fight only lasted 34 seconds.

Great victory but it reminded me a bit of Tank Abbot being let loose, there was obviously a lot of emotion in her as it looked more like a brawl than anything else.

I can't imagine she will be fighting like that against Tate.

She was always that sloppy. She's just in a different league to most of the other girls athletically and grappling wise.

Tate has probably even sloppier striking, her last fight was a seminar in how to eat right hands (though the same can be said for her opponent too).

Rousey is going to demolish Tate just as dominantly as the last time, if not moreso. The only reason Tate will survive more than one round is because she has half decent grappling.

Advertisement