Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 190 - Rousey v Correia

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Correia via KO/TKO
    That's what I was thinking.

There are not many viable options for her. She has fought and beaten Tate (twice) and Zingano. Who are arguably 2 and 3 in the division.

Then there appears to be a bit of a drop in the level of opposition.

Holly Holm has not really lived up the the hype she came into the UFC with and McCann maybe a good freestyle wrestler but its does not appear to be good enough to make up for the other holes in her game.

We have not seen Cyborg fight at 135 yet and she is still not in the UFC officially.

Beth is probably has the best case of who is left for a title shot. Probably why Ronda is looking to retire early also, as there does not seem like there are many challenges out there for her outside Cyborg.

I though tate looked very gun shy in the opening minutes against Jessica eye but man is she tough. tends to expose her chin a bit and could do with cleaning up the striking but I really like her and just cant see the whole mean girl factor. it doesn't add up. I still cannot see her beating rousey. maybe it's all that judo but she's just too powerful and focused. it realy does get to the other fighters I believe. wonder how one loss would affect rousey, would she bowl back even stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Correia via KO/TKO
    Wracking my brains here to think of who other than Cyborg could give Ronda a good fight. Is the idea of Joanna Jędrzejczyk stepping up a few weight classes down the line totally out of the question? I believe she used to fight at 125lbs before and she does look pretty big at 115lbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Joanna would get tossed around like a ragdoll. Pena is another possible contender, haven't seen her but her record since tuf is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Cyborg is the ONLY one I want to see Ronda fight.....at 135. No stupid catch weight, challenger should make champions weight. Would be a cracking fight but I think Ronda still takes it, then she can retire and make millions starring in Expendables 5,6 & 7 and Fast & Furious 8, 9, 10 & F&F Remake.

Rousey wins at either weight IMO. I don't want to see a 135 fight with Cyborg almost dying to make weight (if she somehow can) and having zero energy. What's the point it wouldn't be competitive. On the champion/challenger point nobody cares about the belt or weight class this is about who is the best female fighter on the planet.

Catchweight 140 is the fairest. Screw the belt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Correia via KO/TKO
    darced wrote: »

I thought her stand up looked decent any time we saw it. She seems to have very fast hands, I do think she might beat up Bethe on the feet for awhile.

I'm very interested in what approach Bethe is going to have. I think the best bet would be to circle away from her and try to land shots at range. It seems if any of the entire 135 woman's division just can't stop her when she gets into the clinch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Her hands are fine. It's a bit of a myth that she has rubbish stand up, lets people believe she has a tiny chance at losing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Correia via KO/TKO
    Shogun really needs to retire. His chin is gone completely and I would prefer to not see him take any more punishment. Looking forward to Rondas fight even if the result is already a foregone conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

Rousey via Decision
    Shogun really needs to retire. His chin is gone completely and I would prefer to not see him take any more punishment. Looking forward to Rondas fight even if the result is already a foregone conclusion.

From that card alone I wouldn't mind seeing Shogun, Both Nogs & Bigfoot hanging it up before there brains turn to mush!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Rousey via Decision
    While I think Rousey should win this, my only concern would be how emotionally invested in this fight she is. Correia has touched a few nerves in a major way in the build up to this fight.
    Ronda has been competing her whole life. I’d be really shocked if she was emotional invested to the point where she doesn’t follow her gameplan.
    Gumbi wrote: »
    Silva was toying around because the fight wasn't going his way - he wanted to get Weidman to over commit so he could counter him and it wasn't working. He was also losing that fight by the way.
    This.

Why does everyone forget that. Before the “lucky punch” he has Silva in really tight heel hook. I think people missed how close he was to finishing early.
    Off the top off my head I cannot think who would be better suited that is in the UFC and has not already fought Ronda? But admittedly I am not as current on UFC events as I used to be.
    You are pretty much on the money. She has cleared out the division better than Demetrious Johnson and Jon Jones combined
    Wracking my brains here to think of who other than Cyborg could give Ronda a good fight. Is the idea of Joanna Jędrzejczyk stepping up a few weight classes down the line totally out of the question? I believe she used to fight at 125lbs before and she does look pretty big at 115lbs.
    Ronda is a clear 2 divisions above, JJ would need a TUE for TRT and about 2 years to make 135 competitively.
    Davei141 wrote: »
    Her hands are fine. It's a bit of a myth that she has rubbish stand up, lets people believe she has a tiny chance at losing.
    I’m not sure that I’d call it rubbish but she sacrifices head movement, range control, and defence in order to secure the clinch. It’s not down to ability though, it’s a conscious decision to do it.
    Most of the time any punches she eats on the way in will not affect the fight. But if she catches one right on the button, there’s a chance her legs will give out for a second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Correia via KO/TKO
    Mellor wrote: »
    Ronda has been competing her whole life. I’d be really shocked if she was emotional invested to the point where she doesn’t follow her gameplan.

I would be shocked too to be honest. Having said that, I was also shocked to hear Daniel Cormier saying John Jones' antics threw him off his game and he also has been competing his whole life. While very unlikely, it is possible.
    Ronda is a clear 2 divisions above, JJ would need a TUE for TRT and about 2 years to make 135 competitively.

I agree about the clear 2 divisions and how JJ would be likely to struggle with Ronda's strength and ability in the clinch. It would be interesting to see how Ronda would cope with a striker in her own weight class who hits as hard and accurately as JJ though. I know it's a pretty unrealistic argument I'm presenting here but I do think the only way Ronda will get beaten is by an elite level striker who can keep the fight on the feet.

Had to laugh when I read the comment about the TUE for TRT:D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

darced wrote: »

Her striking is terrible
    Has awful head movement and poor punching technique
    let's be honest it's her judo and BJJ that is what makes her what she is and when the ladies don't have the power to back up their hands it's to easy to walk through the punches to get the clinch

Cyborg may have the power to stop her walking through to clinch and not many others do or nobody that i am aware of anyway

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Rousey via Decision
    I do think the only way Ronda will get beaten is by an elite level striker who can keep the fight on the feet.
    An elite striker might stop her in the way in if she attempts the same sloppy clinch entry.
    I've always said I'd love to see her against an truy elite bjj fighter would be happy to jump guard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Correia via KO/TKO
    There was talk of Gabbi Garcia trying out MMA.

She had lost a lot of weight recently with the aim to compete at 145/135. But I have not heard anything more about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

An elite striker might stop her in the way in if she attempts the same sloppy clinch entry.
    I've always said I'd love to see her against an truy elite bjj fighter would be happy to jump guard.

skillfull striking isn't enough. They need to have power that can at least rock her and ideally ko her, This is why her style is so effective in female MMA, the exact same style in male MMA would be getting ko'd regularly.

Her against an elite BJJ girl would be an interesting sub wrestling match but with her ability top put it where she wants would still be advantage Rousey

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Rousey via Decision

She had lost a lot of weight recently with the aim to compete at 145/135. But I have not heard anything more about it.
    She lost a lot of weight, but she's still pretty big. She's like 6'2". I'd say her debut will be at 185.

Michelle Nicolini and Mackenzie Dern both have the ability for Ronda, but they'd be 115er I think.
    Kyra Gracie was supposed to be moving to MMA, but she took a year off to have a baby.

Rousey via Decision
    cowzerp wrote: »
    skillfull striking isn't enough. They need to have power that can at least rock her and ideally ko her, This is why her style is so effective in female MMA, the exact same style in male MMA would be getting ko'd regularly.
    That what I'm refering to. Elite might not have been the right word. If somebody with enough power can drop her on the way in, and finish before she recovers.
    Her against an elite BJJ girl would be an interesting sub wrestling match but with her ability top put it where she wants would still be advantage Rousey
    If they plan into her judo then yeah, her thriws all based around knocking the air out of her opponent and setting up the armbar.
    I think it'd be interesting if an elite Bjj girl clinched and jumped guard to remove the judo element. Obviously there's a still the issue of being on the ground with Ronda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Rousey via Decision

Not a facking hope.

Gabi-Garcia.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

She's A LOT smaller now. She's still never gonna be near 145 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Rousey via Decision
    Gumbi wrote: »
    She's A LOT smaller now. She's still never gonna be near 145 though.

Ah yeah I know, was just posting that for a bit of craic. I thnk she got busted for PED's shortly after she appeared on TUF Brazil and was stripped of her world titles. So she is noticably smaller these days I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Rousey via Decision
    I'd like to see Ronda rag doll her around the cage and show off her judo throws. They're fun to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Correia via KO/TKO
    So the UFC have issued a memo to camps "basically telling everyone how dangerous the favela next to the host hotel" for UFC 190 is, per Front Row Brian. That would certainly put your mind at ease! :pac:

https://twitter.com/FrontRowBrian/status/626142773058605056

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

What/who is front row Brian? Is he legit? Seems to have a good bit of insider knowledge but is apparently blacklisted by ufc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Easy Rod wrote: »
    What/who is front row Brian? Is he legit? Seems to have a good bit of insider knowledge but is apparently blacklisted by ufc.

Friend of Chael's apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭tinpib

Correia via KO/TKO
    Paully D wrote: »
    So the UFC have issued a memo to camps "basically telling everyone how dangerous the favela next to the host hotel" for UFC 190 is, per Front Row Brian. That would certainly put your mind at ease! :pac:

[/url]

Ara Jaysus.

I'm staying in Santa Teresa which was where a hotel was robbed as bandits went form room to room with a master key recently according to the tweet!

In all seriousness after reading that I think I won't bother bringing my laptop. Surely I can survive a few days without it :eek:

Apart from that though it is just some common sense and you should be fine, like most places in the world.

UFC is just erring on the side of caution, but that erring probably won't aid the relaxation process.

• Advertisement

Rousey via Decision
    John_D80 wrote: »
    Ah yeah I know, was just posting that for a bit of craic. I thnk she got busted for PED's shortly after she appeared on TUF Brazil and was stripped of her world titles. So she is noticably smaller these days I agree.
    She tested positive for a fertility drug, not steroids. USADA investigated the case and found she wasn't at fault. So she wasn't suspended. But still lost her title in that comp only as (I think) failing to declare correctly was still a violation.

I think the drug in question is used by men to restart natural testosterone production. I'm not sure if it's applicable to a female cycle tbh.

ZJXvSr8.jpg

Advertisement