Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shes almost silent!

Options
  • 26-07-2015 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭

Just finished my last non performance driven upgrade

I replaced the stock fan on my evga psu with a bequiet fan and the difference is amazing :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I really need to stick the doors back on my PC so it shuts up :pac:

I'll miss the gentle hum though

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Well done OP! These small changes can really help your sanity!
    I really need to stick the doors back on my PC so it shuts up :pac:
    I assume you have rubber screws on the case fans? The difference to the family machine was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

the_syco wrote: »
    I assume you have rubber screws on the case fans? The difference to the family machine was amazing.

Nope, only learned they were a time about half an hour ago. I'm not sure if you're being serious or not there though?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

I wouldnt know about silence at the minute, currently running a reference r9 290, sounds like a fighter jet taking off when playing a game, but hey at least it will keep me quiet during the winter haha :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Recurve360 wrote: »
    I wouldnt know about silence at the minute, currently running a reference r9 290, sounds like a fighter jet taking off when playing a game, but hey at least it will keep me quiet during the winter haha :P

Repasting the GPU can doWONDERS for a reference 290, getting you as low as 85 degrees under load.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Yeah rubber screws are a thing and they do make a big difference in terms of vibrations as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

might not of been the best thing to do, but i ran the new fan off a motherboard header to control the speed, used the pc 3 hours last night as well, system temps never changed, i have a hand held pyrometer and the psu case stayed nice and cool and quiet . so job done:)

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

Gumbi wrote: »
    Repasting the GPU can doWONDERS for a reference 290, getting you as low as 85 degrees under load.

Its a second hand card so that may actually be worth a shot, is it hard to do? I have some artic silver mx2 lying around aswell so its decent paste id be putting on :) Ill probably only keep if for a few months anyway and upgrade again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Recurve360 wrote: »
    Its a second hand card so that may actually be worth a shot, is it hard to do? I have some artic silver mx2 lying around aswell so its decent paste id be putting on :) Ill probably only keep if for a few months anyway and upgrade again :)

Definitely, every degree counts with reference coolers, as they can be very loud. Remove the cooler, clear the die surface and heatsink plate, and put a small bit of paste in the middle, then reseat the cooler.

Advertisement