Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree for container in small garden

Options
  • 26-07-2015 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭

Hi. Looking for some advice.

I want to get a couple of trees to fit in my small container garden (4m x 4.5m). Ideally I would like a cherry blossom or a silver birch but there are some considerations: one container will be a few feet from the house wall and one will be beside a boundary wall. This might restrict the spread of the tree? One container is in full sun and one is in sun for half the day.

I like the idea of the trees as I would like to add height to the area. I would hope to use some large interesting containers too. I would be planning to prune these quite high so branches are higher than head height when get larger.

Hopefully I have explained this enough and you can make some recommendations for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My personal experience of growing trees/shrubs in containers has not been great. I have a couple of silver birches in the garden that have been there a few years and I cannot imagine either of them in a container. Two trees in that size of space would be a bit crowded I think. The most likely thing would be one of the medium size Japanese Acers, though that would not give you height. You might consider an illusion of height by growing a climber up a framework?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Yes maybe my choice might be limited with these restrictions. Iv googled a few images of silver birch in containers and they look quite well. I would imagine they would need to controlled well though.

I have a couple of climbers and they look fine, I think I would like to introduce something sturdy looking, and the silver birch trunk is interesting.

I don't want to go the route of the upright conifers because I think they look awful

Advertisement