Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which films did you see at too young an age?

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

IT & Predator both spring to mind, they scared the crap out of me. Arachnophobia also did but I had no excuse there considering it was only PG and more of a comedy anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

I've never seen Salems Lot :( the book frightened the absolute life out of me though, so I dont think I have the balls to watch the film seeing as you guys are still fairly freaked by it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Ghostbusters. I was 5. Scared the poo out of me for a long time after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

OK, quick deviation from the topic of films as I've seen some mentions above... the 1970s/early 80s were definitely the best for pre- and post-watershed disturbing TV. Children of the Stones and The Omega Factor, Quatermass, Sapphire and Steel (as a kid, seeing Joanna Lumley's eyes go completely black was ruddy terrifying :O), also Hammer House Of Horror, particularly the house of blood and doppelganger episodes... Oh and the 'Dragon's Domain' episode of Space 1999 featuring a monster chewing up and spitting out steaming corpses... which went out on Saturday morning while Swap Shop was on a break... Nothing even comes close now.

Movieswise, I was freaked out of the room halfway through The Exorcist at a young age but if I'd stayed in place to watch the bedridden hissy fit scenes I think I'd have found it funny. As with the Salem's Lot window scene, the eyes at the window in the 70s Amityville Horror stuck with me for a long time. I'd have been around 5 or 6 watching The Forbidden Planet and Killdozer, the former with an invisible monster - just the *worst* kind! - and the latter involving a meteorite-possessed bulldozer, ehh, creeping up on people. Both made an impression... but I haven't watched Killdozer many times since :-).

I watched Alien underage too but probably at an ideal time, old enough to follow the plot but young enough to be swept along by the fantasy and not worry about the details.

Ha! Ha! I'd completely forgotten about Killdozer - a few of us watched that together and even though we were a bunch of kids we pissed ourselves laughing watching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Sapphire and Steel (as a kid, seeing Joanna Lumley's eyes go completely black was ruddy terrifying :O),

Sapphire and Steel used to be on late-ish, I think. I'd see the opening credits and then head off to bed. I did remember seeing one episode where they were battling some kind of faceless people. They were just sort of standing there with a smooth curve where their face should be. Eerie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

Some of the British "kitchen sink" horror of the 70s, 80s and 90s is scarier, in a way, than anything Hollywood ever produced because the stories often took place in the types of settings and locales quite familiar to many of us, therefore making them more impactful, more real. Ashamed to say that Channel 4's 100 Scariest Moments turned me on to more than a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Ghostwatch evening on the BBC presented by Michael bloody Parkinson! Whole evening of spooky ghostie action presented as if live and real. I really enjoyed this show, but the creepiness was very strong and would have seriously freaked me out if I had been just a bit younger.

And more often recorded on video rather than film, at least in part, giving a more real and live dimension.

Back on the movies front: Threads. Never a good age to watch that :-/.

Threads, The War Game, Testament and When the Wind Blows are four features about what happens to ordinary people when nuclear war comes about. They all start off normal enough, become fairly terrifying and then lumber, solemnly, towards a grim and hopeless conclusion. Probably a realistic depiction, but not what I'd call entertainment. Just leaves you a little worse off than before in many ways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

check_six wrote: »
    Ghostwatch evening on the BBC presented by Michael bloody Parkinson! Whole evening of spooky ghostie action presented as if live and real. I really enjoyed this show, but the creepiness was very strong and would have seriously freaked me out if I had been just a bit younger.

Diden't dome young lad commit suicide after watching it?

darkdubh wrote: »
    Diden't dome young lad commit suicide after watching it?

The guy who did that had a mild mental handicap though.

I heard some other story that another viewer became so scared that they soiled themselves.

Link,
    The public’s response to Ghostwatch varied considerably: one complaint received by the BBC was a request for financial reimbursement for a man who had soiled his trousers, in fear, while watching the programme

• Advertisement

I remember staying up late to watch the Today Tonight special on video nasties back in 1986.They showed the two goriest scenes from Driller Killer,also two clips from Maniac and the bit from the Evil Dead where Ash chains his possesed girlfriend to a table and is about to slice into her with a chainsaw (he stops just short in the film though in the clip they edited it to kind of imply that he did go ahead).And they also showed a bit from Zombie Flesh Eaters where a zombie bites a woman in the throat.Is it a bit sad of me that I can remember it like it was yesterday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Posted VHS / TV stuff earlier but with regards to the cinema..

On Saturday we would always try and see 18 films but they staff at the Carlton, Adelphi and Savoy were always wide to that and would weed anyone too young out of the queue long before they got to the window but we would jump screen often. This was mid to late 80s and back then on Saturdays there would be queues on O'Connell St and Abbey St to see films, with each screen have it's own portable sign post which people had to line up at.

15 rated Films and above I remember getting into when was aged 11 to 14':

Witness.
    The Color of Money.
    Beverly Hills Cop II.
    Good Morning Vietnam.
    Rain Man.
    Lethal Weapon.
    European Vacation.
    Stand by Me.
    Fatal Attraction.
    Stakeout.

One which really sticks out for me is Nightmare on Elm St 3 (Dream Warriors). I went into the old Screen cinema on Eden Quay, long gone, and the girl asked me how old I was (I was 13) and I said I was 17 and she said she couldn't let me in at first but seeing as I almost starting crying, she said go on then. Felt like I'd won the lottery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Frenzy. I was like 10 lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Posted VHS / TV stuff earlier but with regards to the cinema..

On Saturday we would always try and see 18 films but they staff at the Carlton, Adelphi and Savoy were always wide to that and would weed anyone too young out of the queue long before they got to the window but we would jump screen often. This was mid to late 80s and back then on Saturdays there would be queues on O'Connell St and Abbey St to see films, with each screen have it's own portable sign post which people had to line up at.

18 rated films I remember getting into when was aged 11'ish to 15'ish:

Witness.
    The Color of Money.
    Beverly Hills Cop II.
    Good Morning Vietnam.
    Rain Man.
    Lethal Weapon.
    European Vacation.
    Stand by Me.
    Fatal Attraction.
    Stakeout.

One which really sticks out for me is Nightmare on Elm St 3 (Dream Warriors). I went into the old Screen cinema on Eden Quay, long gone, and the girl asked me how old I was (I was 13) and I said I was 17 and she said she couldn't let me in at first but seeing as I almost starting crying, she said go on then. Felt like I'd won the lottery.

Hate to be a pedant, but only two of those were 18 (Lethal Weapon and Fatal Attraction).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭PeteK*

quarryman wrote: »
    Watership Down.

:(

Those evil rabbits freaked me out!

Saw this way too early..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Hate to be a pedant, but only two of those were 18 (Lethal Weapon and Fatal Attraction).

Edited now, but I wasn't 15 until '89 so was still underage for 'em :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Animal Farm!!!!
    Which version?

Probably Eraserhead. I cannot remember the year in which I saw it but regardless if I saw it now for the first time, it is probably the worst film I have ever sat through: complete and utter garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Edit: Different film altogether sorry!!

• Advertisement

Shawshank when I was about 7, the scene with the fire gave me nightmares for ages

'Scene with the fire'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

galljga1 wrote: »
    Probably Eraserhead. I cannot remember the year in which I saw it but regardless if I saw it now for the first time, it is probably the worst film I have ever sat through: complete and utter garbage.
    Don't worry, I had ridiculous opinions when I was young too. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Salems Lot......didn't sleep for weeks afterwards.....

e_e wrote: »
    Don't worry, I had ridiculous opinions when I was young too. ;)

To each, their own. I found it to be irritating but worse than that, probably the worst thing a film can be: boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I went into the old Screen cinema on Eden Quay, long gone, and the girl asked me how old I was (I was 13) and I said I was 17 and she said she couldn't let me in at first but seeing as I almost starting crying, she said go on then. Felt like I'd won the lottery.

....a scene worthy of a comedy fit for all ages.

Not a film but I saw a single episode of Edge Of Darkness when I was about 12 and saw that scene where Craven is confronted by the IRA man who is trying to kill him who is then shot in the head by a police marksman splattering Cravens face with blood and brains.Only saw the full series recently on DVD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

When I was a kid I saw The Time Machine. A film from the sixties with Rod Taylor as H G Wells. When he travelled to the future he came across these creatures called the Morlocks. They lived underground and scared the **** outta me. I had nightmares about the Morlocks for ages after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

galljga1 wrote: »

I tried to watch it back in the 80's. Couldn't sit through it, got about half way through it and gave up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I loved Ghostbusters as a kid, but the scene in the second movie with the London Nanny ghost taking the kid from the ledge has always stuck with me.

Even now typing this I'm freaked out a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

My grandmother was babysitting me one night when I was around 8 and Hitchcock's The Birds was on. She fell asleep and I ended up watching it from behind a chair. Almost shat myself every time I saw a crow for about a month. I didn't watch it again for about 20 years!
    +1 for the Hammer House stuff as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MattB11

Mikey, cute little boy is adopted, becomes obsessed with new friends older sister, isn't happy when he finds out she has a boyfriend, decides to murder everyone, this movie was also banned in the UK when it was released

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

You all seem to have been very sensitive kids, anything went in my household and horrors were our favorite kind of movie, 6 kids in the household, I think American werewolf in London was our all time favorite having it on VHS and we would re-watch it over and over, Stephen Kings it was a good one too. Zombies seemed a bit too scary since we were less exposed to them and they seem over diluted as far as monsters go today. Sex scenes were always fast forwarded through.

In saying that, I would not let my son watch something over the age rating unless I had seen it first, according to him Jaws is the scariest film he has seen and he had watched things like Poltergeist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

^ Jaws preys on the same fears as Psycho. It turns the mundane dip at the beach / taking a shower into a potential bloodbath. And the villain isn't some out-of-work waiter in makeup or a CGI effect.
    As a youngster, I'd have been similar to your son - lady with spinning head (Exorcist) = popcorn and laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 WhoAmI112

Freddy Kruger when i was 10... that movie or movie series still scare me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

jamesieliz wrote: »
    one i remember was Salem's Lot on RTE back in the early 80s - i literally did not sleep at all the night after i watched it , i was like a zombie in school the next day and for many days after it , due to sleep deprivation ...the bit where the vampire kid is outside the window trying to get the other kid to let him in still scares me to this day.

I remember my dad letting me stay up and watch that some time in the 80s, disturbed me and I actually said nah, feic that, bed is preferable and off I went.

I'm another one for the Murphy death scene.

I purposely won't watch Bambi to this day, and Watership Down should not be watched by 5 or 6 year olds. I won't be letting my daughter watch either until she's legally old enough to sign a disclaimer.

And a funny one, I must have been a naive 12 or 13 year old and a mate recommended American Ninja. So I sat there watching it with my parents, and apart from the violence there's that ridiculous scene in which a couple were killed having sex and were loaded into the coroner's van still stuck together. Didn't know what to make of that at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

last tango in Paris with romi Schneider and Marlon Brando.

My friend was desperate to see it, we were both 14, so we dressed up and put the make up on and managed to pass for 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sanna

Nightmare on Elm St, scared the hell outta me!
    Also Children of the Corn!

My uncle used to own a Video shop and this was back in the day when no one cared for age limits on videos!!

Is there more than one version of Salem's Lot? To the best of my knowledge, it was made for TV (like the adaptation of Stephen King's IT).

If so, which is the version to which people here keep referring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Salem's Lot - Tapping at the window ahhhhh,I was having nightmares for years.

+1 :eek:

still freaks me out class series for its time freaky as fook

When I was about four or five I saw this programme on TV in which they showed clips from mostly 50s B movies and old monster movies, King Kong and the like.Not sure what the overall theme was but there was one clip that really freaked me out.It was from one of those 1950s biblical epics and the scene was where John The Baptists head is brought to Salome on a plate.What made it worse was that I wasen't familiar with the story at the time and I thought it was that they were bringing this dead guys head to her as a meal in a restaurant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I watched Terminator 2 when I was 7 or 8 around 1992/1993 and the really brief dream scene where the nuclear explosion happens and people are fried to skeletons lived in my nightmares for many a year afterwards.

At that age I think I somewhat thought it might happen in real life. Terrifying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Jaws at age 8 and the mummy at age 7, I still hate bugs and was scared of deep water and the ocean for years (didn't help my aunt told me sharks can live in rivers and lakes, know it highly unlikely but until I started secondary school was scared of sharks)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

duckysauce wrote: »
    +1 :eek:

still freaks me out class series for its time freaky as fook

Yeah that scene totally freaked me the fcuk out when I was a kid :eek:.

Even the chest bursting scene from Alien didn't even come close to the amount of sleepless nights that vampire kid tapping on the window gave me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I watched Terminator 2 when I was 7 or 8 around 1992/1993 and the really brief dream scene where the nuclear explosion happens and people are fried to skeletons lived in my nightmares for many a year afterwards.

At that age I think I somewhat thought it might happen in real life. Terrifying.

Well that was the point It WAS a real possibility. The Cold War? Chernobyl? Berlin wall coming down and the USSR not being happy about it? The Bosnian War? Gulf war 1? Various Kim Jongs threatening the sane world? All this was going on at the time, and nukes were the big daddy of the Russians bombs. Terminator 2 gave us a look at how we would fry to death and feel every bit of it. This was real, and far scarier and more threatening than some fairytale vampire sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 adam1084

well i watched paaranormal activity 1 when i was small... couldnt sleep properly for half a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

caught a glimpse of a scene in shallow grave years ago when i was young. it was the drowning scene, ive seen far far worse in films but for some reason it still disturbs me.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

My first was Evil Dead 2 at the age of 6 with my older cousin babysitting me, I didn't sleep a wink that night 😓 but that was the first of many horror movies I shouldn't have seen but still did when I would stay at their house 😛

Is there more than one version of Salem's Lot? To the best of my knowledge, it was made for TV (like the adaptation of Stephen King's IT).

If so, which is the version to which people here keep referring?

It was remade for TV again in 2004 but we can safely assume people are refering to the 1979 original.That scene people refer to gave a whole generation of kids nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

darkdubh wrote: »
    It was remade for TV again in 2004 but we can safely assume people are refering to the 1979 original.That scene people refer to gave a whole generation of kids nightmares.

There are actually two versions of the 1979 production. It was originally a two-part miniseries, running 184m; but it was given a theatrical release in Europe as a feature, running 112m. The European version has slightly more violent scenes, I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Deliverance, don't think i was that young ,but still that scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

It was probably An American Werewolf in London. The parents taped it off the telly and we all sat down to watch it one evening. The only thing they forwarded past was the sex scene in Alex's flat. Still remains to this day one of my favourite horror films.

I remember my parents being out one night when I was about 7 or 8 and we crept downstairs to find the babysitter asleep with the telly on. There was some film on starring Adam Ant and there was a scene where a guy was kicked to death in it. The violence scared the living bejaysus out of me. I still have no clue what the film was, but I have no desire to see it again!

Advertisement