Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which films did you see at too young an age?

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 I should coco!

I'd say An American Werewolf in London also. The opening scenes scared the hell out of me, but I couldn't help but what it over and over.

Now I appreciate it in a different way. At the time I was too young for all the dark humour in it. Still remains one of my favourites.
    It was probably An American Werewolf in London. The parents taped it off the telly and we all sat down to watch it one evening. The only thing they forwarded past was the sex scene in Alex's flat. Still remains to this day one of my favourite horror films.

I was crazy for horror movies from the age of 8 I'd say. I think that's when I saw A Nightmare on Elm Street for the first time. When the lights went out all I could see forming was a shadowy figure of Freddy in my bedroom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

The Exorcist at 11.......scared the feckin ****e out of me :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Deliverance, don't think i was that young ,but still that scene.

I don't think I'll ever be old enough to see a man getting his ass assaulted like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I don't think I'll ever be old enough to see a man getting his ass assaulted like that.

Your not wrong there , to think the film was 1973, even by todays standards still shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Venom wrote: »
    Even the chest bursting scene from Alien didn't even come close to the amount of sleepless nights that vampire kid tapping on the window gave me.

Same here, that primal terror that I felt has never been surpassed. Pure terror. Mind you, the grave scene or the gravedigger rocking in the chair were not far behind. It was all just terror overload.

It was the Tobe Hooper version, 2 episodes on RTE2.

• Advertisement

The first Childs Play at about 4 or 5(maybe even 3 :/)

Still remember running out of the sitting room in terror when Chucky came alive and killed the babysitter.

I couldn't watch that particular film again until I was much older.

In fairness that first one was pretty freaky as he doesn't come alive until about 30mins in and its continuously implied by the child but never shown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Deepthroat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Bad Boy Bubby when I was twelve. I've still got the image of Bubby's filthy, overweight mother straddled over him saying "gooood boy Bubby" (shudders).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Nothing much phased me, yes I would be scared by ED 209 or Cain in Robocop or Vigo in Ghostbusters 2 but it was all superficial scary. Ditto for IT or James Tombs in the X Files (although I did end up checking under beds/toilets) Even Alien was just fun after the initial shock of the chestburster. No what was really creepy was the blood orgy scene in Event Horizon and it still distrurbs me to this day. I mean wtf?! You had this highly trained, highly stable, competent crew, wtf happened to them that they forsook all logic, all humanity and started ripping each other apart? Seriously. What the hell was in that other dimension that could make the best of the best revert to that???? I imagine they were just drifting around "hell Neptune" and the spatial geometry of that universe was so fcked up that they lost their minds completely? Or as I think the film implies they encountered a sentience that took over their bodies and just enjoyed having them kill each other and themselves in the most horrific ways imaginable. Although the other possibility which is also left there, that they did it to themselves without any controlling/possessing sentience is much worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

duckysauce wrote: »
    +1 :eek:

still freaks me out class series for its time freaky as fook

well i made a mistake looking in this thread. I was 9 when i seen that. Nightmares for weeks. i have a feeling they may be coming back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Holy crap, there were loads.

Like the poster on the first page, my dad had a "sure, he'll be grand" approach to what I watched.

I remember sitting with him watching 'Deliverance' and when it got to that scene, I simply thought the hillbilly was literally riding Ned Beatty around like a pig. It was a little humiliating, but no biggy. Certainly not worth killing him for! Burt Reynolds just murdered that man!!!! WTF is going on? And now they're going after the other fella, these guys are maniacs!

I was about 9.

I also took in a lot of films he didn't actually like, but sat and watched with me anyway, like 'Jaws', 'Alien', 'Aliens', 'Day of the Dead' and 'The Thing'. They all have special places in my heart.

Frankly give me those films any day of the week over some of the shite that's being made now.

Oh and the 'Dragon's Domain' episode of Space 1999 featuring a monster chewing up and spitting out steaming corpses... which went out on Saturday morning while Swap Shop was on a break... Nothing even comes close now.

Oh yeh! 'Space 1999' was a mental thing to have on on a Saturday morning. I have them all now and they look a little quaint these days, but when I was a kid, some of that show was mad.

I remember another episode as well, called 'The bringers of Wonder', which had crazy aliens on Moonbase Alpha.

Look at the state of this bleeder!

alienblob.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I remember seeing the trailer for the horror B movie Food Of The Gods on the telly.According to Wiki that movie was released in 1976 when I was two but I clearly remember it and being scared sh!tless of the giant rats and hens in it.I also clearly remember seeing this image of the movie poster in the paper at the time with the giant hen and being doubly freaked so I wasn't imagining it.

food-of-the-gods-poster.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sporter1

American werewolf in London, I was 8 and we had a betamax video player, the rental choice in the video store was poor compared to vhs,the makeup and effects were excellent for a 1981 movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 meliselis

Jaws :)
    never looked at the ocean the same way again...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

I was always under age (about 12 - 15) when I watched all them classic & crap horror films like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Friday the 13th, Nightmare On Elm Street etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Cruel intentions. I was only 8 or so when I saw that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭heathledgerlove

A witch who had a freaky eye (at least one) in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, I was about 4, babysitter brought over the video for us to watch. Not a popular one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭xper

In the seventies when I was 8 or 9 I was staying with friends down the country when a gang of us, the oldest was 14 at most, were packed off to the local cinema to see whatever was being shown. Turned out to be "Piranha". The mile long walk home along an unlit country lane was tough going for this city boy (despite the total absence of any bodies of water). My mother was at a loss as to why I wouldn't go swimming in the local river the next day.
    Arghus wrote: »
    There's only one other clear example of a film that I wasn't equipped to deal with at the time that I saw it - Jurassic Park....
    I have a distinct memory of watching Jurassic Park in Tallaght and the exodus of parents with younger kids when the TRex made its entry.
    I was 9 and saw a scene from Species ...
    nine? Natasha Hensridge was wasted on you!
    Lone Shark wrote: »
    This (Watership Down) all the way. I was in floods of tears when it looked as if Hazel had died and Fiver was looking for him.
    I was semi-immune to the film. The book had already gotten me.
    Lone Shark wrote: »
    Further on, I remember watching In the Name of the Rose one night when I was round 12 or 13. That freaked the bejeesus out of me.
    Christian Slater wasn't much older than you and a bit freaked out too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Like a few people have mentioned I had parents that recorded late night movies regularly for me. They started with the old Godzilla movies and progressed on to worse from there. Were a few that have already been mentioned...the opening library scene in Ghostbusters, the robot scene in Superman 3, Killdozer (which was completely stupid but scared me for some reason), IT & Salems Lot

I remember one of Bruce Lee's movies, I think it was Fists of Fury maybe, but could have been The Big Boss. Basically there was a scene where Bruce had killed a bunch of guys and then hanged their bodies from lampposts for the baddies to see. It was an image that stuck in my mind

There was also a movie called Leviathan released in the late 80s, basically Alien but set underwater which I remember having a few scares that managed to get me. Pretty sure Ernie Hudson was in it.

One of the worst nightmares I had as a kid was from ET. Not anything from the movie, but I had a dream that ET was living with me, but one day I woke up & saw a red beam hit him through the window that turned him evil & he tried to kill me. My parents found me pinned to the far corner of my bed screaming in my sleep :o

From TV, there was also an evil character in Worzel Gummidge that I remember really freaked me out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I saw The Evil Dead (the original one) when I was around 10. I was too young to pick up on the humour in the film but old enough to be completely freaked out by it. My older brother and sister used to torment me by turning out the lights and going "We're going to get you, we're going to get you." Rotten bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

... IT ...
    This was the one that was simply 'beyond the pale' for me as a kid, the cover itself was just so f***ing scary, on top of the whole clown angle. Hadn't thought about it for ages until I stumbled on a clip with Pennywise in the sewer which is still pretty scary in and of itself, because to be honest Tim Curry did very well in that role.

But a few of us watched it together a few months back... and were howling with laughter through just about all of it. The acting, dialogue and camera work are all so bad, so laughably terrible in that late 80s/early 90s home-movie sense, but to whole new levels. Not only that, but the random creeping on the one female character is too funny, all the lads just massaging and grabbing at her as if it were nothing, but it's done in such a creepy, hilarious manner... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Billy86 wrote: »
    This was the one that was simply 'beyond the pale' for me as a kid, the cover itself was just so f***ing scary, on top of the whole clown angle. Hadn't thought about it for ages until I stumbled on a clip with Pennywise in the sewer which is still pretty scary in and of itself, because to be honest Tim Curry did very well in that role.

But a few of us watched it together a few months back... and were howling with laughter through just about all of it. The acting, dialogue and camera work are all so bad, so laughably terrible in that late 80s/early 90s home-movie sense, but to whole new levels. Not only that, but the random creeping on the one female character is too funny, all the lads just massaging and grabbing at her as if it were nothing, but it's done in such a creepy, hilarious manner... :D

have you read the book? so so much worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

PucaMama wrote: »
    have you read the book? so so much worse
    I actually haven't, though I have read a good few of his (been meaning to get on to The Dark Tower series forever)... do you mean worse in terms of poor quality, or in terms of scariness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Billy86 wrote: »
    I actually haven't, though I have read a good few of his (been meaning to get on to The Dark Tower series forever)... do you mean worse in terms of poor quality, or in terms of scariness?

scariness :) i love stephen king. IT is one of my favourites, along with the stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭GhostMutt30

Tremors. Was afraid to walk on the grass for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MattB11

The Gate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

watched american psycho when i was 9 thought it was hilarious, my older brother still talks about how much i laughed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

The Fly 1986 version, I saw it at about 11, way too young and was actually physically sick that night and on edge for days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭snowgal

The Birds! Was about 7 or 8 I think. I dont think I was allowed watch it, I think I was at the doorway peaking in and was enthralled but also petrified! to this day me and the ol birds dont get along too well. Im one of those crazy people you see ducking and diving when a bird is near...Twice a bird has bashed into me so my fear is justified. THEY KNOW MY FEAR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

The Innocents (1961)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭heathledgerlove

the_monkey wrote: »
    The Fly 1986 version, I saw it at about 11, way too young and was actually physically sick that night and on edge for days.

No horror film should be allowed do anything with fingernails

• Registered Users Posts: 48 fuzzypickle

I haven't seen many horror movies but I remember when I was about 11 I watched something called the Francisville Experiment. A bunch of people in a haunted house for 24 hours or whatever. Found footage style like the Blair Witch I think.

Frightened the ****e out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 fuzzypickle

I haven't seen many horror movies but I remember when I was about 11 I watched something called the Francisville Experiment. A bunch of people in a haunted house for 24 hours or whatever. Found footage style like the Blair Witch I think.

Frightened the ****e out of me.

I also remember watching a very old b&w Frankenstein movie with my brother when we were kids. Both of us hiding behind the couch saying "you look" "no you look!".

I remember when I was really young seeing one of those black and white movies maybe from the 40s where a guy was trying to strangle a woman and she grabs a scissors and stabs him in the back with it,can't remember what it was but I think it was one of those well known film-noirs.I was terrified of scissors for some reason so that scene stuck with me.

• Advertisement

/\

'Dial M for Murder'

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭shazzerman

Tony EH wrote: »
    /\

'Dial M for Murder'

Might be The Woman in the Window, although that was a man stabbing another man with a pair of scissors. But it's in black and white.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

Speed 2: Cruise Control. Then again, there is no appropriate age to see that film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭afriendlyshark

When I was about 8 my mam let me and two friends watch Kill Bill. It didn't matter how inappropriate the movie was, my mam let me watch it.

Tony EH wrote: »
    /\

'Dial M for Murder'

Just looked it up,yes it was this scene.Our telly was black and white so the fact the movie was in colour didn't register.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

I spit on your grave -1978

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

sky88 wrote: »
    watched american psycho when i was 9 thought it was hilarious, my older brother still talks about how much i laughed.

Murdered anyone recently? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Senna wrote: »
    Children of the Corn when I was 6, not because of the gore but it was just unsettling and eerie, can't even remember anything about it, but I think there was always something evil following the kids but you never seen it, the kids just talked to it.
    Must watch it again

Snap!

There was a bit with a kid getting hit by a car or something and then he gets up and he is evil (or something)....

That terrified me, I was probably 5 or 6 too. Thats all I remember.

I was always watching violent flicks growing up in the 80s, video shops would give ya any film, no problem.

I went from watching Robocop to watching Naked Lunch, just because I recognised "Robocop" on the over of Naked Lunch. All I can say is, how I turned out ok after watching that film, I will never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Wordless

It was probably An American Werewolf in London. The parents taped it off the telly and we all sat down to watch it one evening. The only thing they forwarded past was the sex scene in Alex's flat. Still remains to this day one of my favourite horror films.

I remember my parents being out one night when I was about 7 or 8 and we crept downstairs to find the babysitter asleep with the telly on. There was some film on starring Adam Ant and there was a scene where a guy was kicked to death in it. The violence scared the living bejaysus out of me. I still have no clue what the film was, but I have no desire to see it again!

It is Jubilee by Derek Jarmen
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jubilee_(1978_film)

Advertisement