Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Way Advice

Options
  • 26-07-2015 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all,

I'm hoping to do a short part of the Wicklow Way heading out from Bray and wild-camping just one night. The thing is, how safe is it? Particularly the middle section I'll be on? I'll be camping on my own as I just can't get anybody to go with me. I home a lot but never camped and just don't want hassle etc from any yobs and such! Any insights are much appreciated :-)

Regards,

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

You'd do well to get a mod to put this in the 'Outdoor Pursuits' forum.

Some spots can attract young lads drinking. But it's mostly perfectly safe and depends what night of the week you're going.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 4wardpass

CardinalJ wrote: »
    You'd do well to get a mod to put this in the 'Outdoor Pursuits' forum.

Some sports can attract young lads drinking. But it's mostly perfectly safe and depends what night of the week you're going.

Whoops I had a feeling this might be the wrong forum will repost!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Moved to where it would be better suited. Don't re-post, just report your post in future and ask that it be moved.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

The spot by the river just down from knockree hostel was a favourite place for camping and had gotten a bad rep for trouble - I believe camping may be banned there now. Otherwise camping should be okay along the trail - there are even a number of huts along the way (http://www.wicklowway.com/news/11.06.19-new-mountain-meitheal-shelter.php). Glenmalure might be a bit dodgy, it being popular with the skanger crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Ate you planning on camping out on the moantains or beside a road etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

you follow the way high up on the hills south of Glenmalure and you're more or less completely alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Let us know how you get on, I'm hoping to do something similar soon too. Would love to hear how it went!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

Are you nervous camping alone...don't be,I hammock camped on my own recently in a thick dark forest.was grand..it's a great reset for the mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

I was walking around Marley park on Friday and up Kilmashogue Lane a good bit and could not get over the amount of people going up hiking the Wicklow Way. I have been doing that route for years but I must have seen 10 separate groups going by with as many as ten people in the group in just the space of an hour. Most looked like tourists, but some were walking groups and some people just hiking. Most looked like they were carrying tents, so I expect they were going for the night at least. Surely some budding entrepreneur could come up with some way to benefit from this during the summer months I was thinking. Open an ice cream van at half way point for example :) The next time I will see a group I will try ask them where they intend to camp and see if it matches with us "locals".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

FrostyJack wrote: »
    I was walking around Marley park on Friday and up Kilmashogue Lane a good bit and could not get over the amount of people going up hiking the Wicklow Way. I have been doing that route for years but I must have seen 10 separate groups going by with as many as ten people in the group in just the space of an hour. Most looked like tourists, but some were walking groups and some people just hiking. Most looked like they were carrying tents, so I expect they were going for the night at least. Surely some budding entrepreneur could come up with some way to benefit from this during the summer months I was thinking. Open an ice cream van at half way point for example :) The next time I will see a group I will try ask them where they intend to camp and see if it matches with us "locals".

99's on the top of Djouce? I can see the attraction :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement